Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Tech advise - Laptop, tablet, headphones

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Calling [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION], anyone else

Well where else to ask, as I have been asked, because I work(ed) in IT, therefore I must know everything about everything hardware and software you know, could trawl Amazon I guess, but I would rather have recommendations or advice from NSC's finest

Requirement
1) Laptop for a friend. Budget 4-500 notes. No real special requirements other than wants to watch movies on it. So I guess a decent screen/sound is more important than say large storage and loads of ram. Is a reasonable HD one available/recomended for budget. Windows required, office would be nice. He's seen this but I am sure you can get a better deal/more for your money
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-bs50..._browse-bin:8322529031&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65. I've always had Dell or Lenovo really but that was for work purposes

2) Tablet. Budget <150 GBP. This ones jumping out (possible as it's got a 100 quid off). Android, but I hear the sound quality is great and a nice size to play games on and its HD, and Dolby. Anything better than this for the money? Sound quality very important it will be used with buetooth speakers and headphones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-TAB...8&qid=1529600245&sr=8-4&keywords=lenovo+dolby
Possibly want 2 or 3 of these

3) Headphones (cordless). Are Urban Ears good quality for music and skype? These Plattan Mark1s are 30GBP in HMV, were 100, I think because the MK2 is out - has anyone got either https://store.hmv.com/technology/he...F8JaOJEaI5IZ_FZYkCxoC1CcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thats got to be a bargain yes no? Looking like a **** on the train doesnt matter but preferably not glaringly "look at me" ones

4) Bluetooth speakers. Dont need to look at right now but these would go with the Tablet. So any recommendations or advice there much appreciated

Thanking you guys, hopefully can do most/all of these via NSCs Amazon [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] though the headphones might take some beating

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2) Tablet. Budget <150 GBP. This ones jumping out (possible as it's got a 100 quid off). Android, but I hear the sound quality is great and a nice size to play games on and its HD, and Dolby.
I got the Lenovo Tab 4 plus from Currys for £189 (the price is constantly up and down). Good tablet. I'd say worth the extra over the Tab 4, but then if you're buying 3 the price adds up. Check reviews on youtube from Damir Franc.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
That laptop would be more than enough to watch films on, if your just watching films why not just get a tablet?. that laptop is pretty good for the money but if you want to compare ebuyer is a good place to look.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah its for a friend. Not just for films, i will be used for a bit of college work too I forgot to mention so wants a fixed keyboard and windows and a slightly bigger screen than a tablet

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I got the Lenovo Tab 4 plus from Currys for £189 (the price is constantly up and down). Good tablet. I'd say worth the extra over the Tab 4, but then if you're buying 3 the price adds up. Check reviews on youtube from Damir Franc.

Not out the question on budget for one of the 3, I'll check it out thanks (the budgets are all separate pretty much so flexibility is ok a little). What would make the Tablet you mention better in your opinion than the one I posted to warrant the little extra? (this would be the one which would be output to speakers at a later date for music)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why does it require windows? If it's just for word processing and movies, he could buy a chromebook. Startup time in about 10 seconds, no virus' and incredibly quick.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Why does it require windows? If it's just for word processing and movies, he could buy a chromebook. Startup time in about 10 seconds, no virus' and incredibly quick.

I think no requirement for Windows from a tech perspective from what I can see, just what he(well his missus) knows and asked for, you know, MS Windows and Office. In fact it would probably be better with something like a chrome book (though I am not sure what that is, assume its an android based laptop? can you get office for it?).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think no requirement for Windows from a tech perspective from what I can see, just what he(well his missus) knows and asked for, you know, MS Windows and Office. In fact it would probably be better with something like a chrome book (though I am not sure what that is, assume its an android based laptop? can you get office for it?).

I don't use office, but you can use the office app if you have a chromebook with the play store integrated. Not all chromebooks have that ability so it's worth checking, but most probably new chromebooks would have that feature. I personally find Google Docs perfectly sufficient and it's compatible with MSOffice. Android runs alongside chrome. ChromeOS is an operating system which is clean and fast and as the name suggests, is based purely around a browser. It is however maturing with the addition of offline capabilities (which weren't much in evidence when it was introduced about 6 or 7 years ago) and the added plus of android apps. We are moving towards a point where eventually the two OS's are going to merge fully, but atm it's incomplete and a bit buggy at times. However, I'd still recommend CB's unless one needs a specific program like photoshop. One things for sure, I can't see myself ever going back to windows. That message 'Do not turn off your computer, windows is installing 21 updates' is incredibly infuriating and as I said before, you are generally looking at about 10 seconds for startup time. There are plenty of touchscreen CB's and some of the newly announced models have a detachable screen which would double up as a standalone tablet.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Try manufacturer's websites or Ebay for refurbished/ "like new" models that may be ex-demo or simply exchanged by customers for a different device. An easy way of getting decent spec, at a good price and still be assured of top quality.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I bought HP laptop for my daughter for her home work. Decent amount of memory and intel i5 processor. It has been fine, until I tried to update to the latest windows 10 update, I use a dell with an ssd drive for work. The speed of my daughters laptop was driving me nuts. I swapped out the hard drive for an ssd drive and it now works like a dream. Fast and quiet. The problem with hp home laptops is changing the hard drive is a complete dismantling job. Unlike the the dells I worked with in the past, to swap the drive all you had to do was undo a couple of screws and the disk slides out of the side.

If I was to buy her another laptop I would by a second hand business computer, probably get a better built and easier to maintain and good spec for the same price.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Try manufacturer's websites or Ebay for refurbished/ "like new" models that may be ex-demo or simply exchanged by customers for a different device. An easy way of getting decent spec, at a good price and still be assured of top quality.

Budget and spec isnt really the biggest issue I think), an I3 would be plenty, a 128gb SSD would do fine for storage, ie dont need a TB or anything.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not out the question on budget for one of the 3, I'll check it out thanks (the budgets are all separate pretty much so flexibility is ok a little). What would make the Tablet you mention better in your opinion than the one I posted to warrant the little extra?
Thinner, lighter, higher resolution, more RAM, faster CPU, more internal memory, better cameras. Now depending on what you're doing, that might not all matter too much, but I felt it was worth it (for my kids, not me).

A different option is the Lenovo Tab 3 Yoga plus. It has a built in stand, which makes it heavier and more suitable for sitting on a table. But it's great for videos - higher resolution, and the best speakers. We didn't go for it as the kids will spend more time holding their tablets, rather than at a desk.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Thinner, lighter, higher resolution, more RAM, faster CPU, more internal memory, better cameras. Now depending on what you're doing, that might not all matter too much, but I felt it was worth it (for my kids, not me).

A different option is the Lenovo Tab 3 Yoga plus. It has a built in stand, which makes it heavier and more suitable for sitting on a table. But it's great for videos - higher resolution, and the best speakers. We didn't go for it as the kids will spend more time holding their tablets, rather than at a desk.

decisions decision. Some reading to do I think. I have found the Tab4+ for 169.99, the Yoga ones are a bit out of budget

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yep.
That's a bargain, where?
They come down in price sometimes, they're all last year's models.

Tab4 was Currys I think, but a couple of places came up with that. Only thing is (this ones for me I think) is I cant decide 8 or 10". Other requirement I half forgot about is the screen is gonna get tapped (of course it is). More than normal. As its gonna be my chess machine so want one which the screen is nicely cleanable of finger marks, thats important! Still swaying towards my earlier model, as friend as one and the sound is superb. Decisions decision

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Ah, you meant the 8". I got the 10" for £189 from Currys.

Pop to a shop and try them side by side.

Actually I didnt mean the 8" I didnt know, I just googled the T4+ and it came up with the 8" at that price (and it was kind of near to the price you mentioned). Yeah I have few days to decide so reckon I might go try before I (dont) buy unless they price match. Very excited (sad I know, I have been waiting a looong time for this treat for myself so dont want to just impulse buy hence opinions necesssary)

And the head phones down to 30 squid in HMV look the bees knees. Budget done pretty much :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here