[Albion] LoyaltyPointGate - discussion with the club

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well this has gone down like a shit sandwich hasn't it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
[Pedant alert]TBL didn't invent the Internet - that had a variety of fathers: Leonard Kleinrock, Ray Tomlinson, Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn, Jon Postel, Paul Mockapetris and a few more.

Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, something very different

That my friend is as maybe, BUT... I've heard of Tim.

You've just given me a shopping list of other people to go back and kidnap. I saw a DeLorean driving along New Church Road whilst on my way to the WBA game, so I'm off to find that first.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
That my friend is as maybe, BUT... I've heard of Tim.

You've just given me a shopping list of other people to go back and kidnap. I saw a DeLorean driving along New Church Road whilst on my way to the WBA game, so I'm off to find that first.

Not all DeLoreans are time machines mate

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think it is just Bournemouth. It might have been obviously apparent there, but I'm sure this is happening for every game this season. Lets face it, if you have the highest number of loyalty points you're not going to want to lose your place and are going to buy a ticket for every (or nearly every) game regardless. Have your daughter's birthday party on the day of the Arsenal game? Not a problem, not going to be hard to sell that ticket on.

My solution is clean - only award loyalty points when a game goes to general sale for members. If it sells out at STH points or above, no loyalty points are awarded. Priority still continues as before, but no new points are gained just because you're first in the queue for the big games. You can only measure loyalty when everybody has a chance to buy. Points will keep being earned for buying home tickets, and presumably for some of the furthest away games.

If someone can forward this idea on to Big Man Paulie B, that would be mighty fine :thumbsup:

Of course it happens at every game. Look at the number of season ticket holders that don't turn up for home games. As for the league away games, pretty much everyone who had a ticket went to the games. No doubt there were some that had tickets but could then not go but I don't think you can honestly suggest loads of people were buying tickets for the first two matches just for the points and didn't go! Yes there may have been empty seats but people were crammed in elsewhere so in reality, the only two fixtures where this has been an issue are Barnet an Bournemouth. For Barnet it wasn't really a problem as tickets were available for anyone so that just leaves Bournemouth as the real problem.

Your solution is only a benefit to the JCLs. Why do you find it hard to give credit to those that have had a season ticket for many years and have been regular away followers. Tough if newbies and plain old STH can't get tickets for glamour games. Why should they jump to the front of the queue in our first season back in the top flight when they couldn't be bothered to travel over the last few years.

Fact remains any scheme will leave sections disappointed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or someone who had friends and family who were amongst the shameful 650.

:facepalm:

Sounds like you don't have enough points, unlike those in our group who all have enough points and went on Tuesday.

So we seem to have three groups of people:-

Had ticket and went.

Had ticket and harvested the points, didn't pass the ticket on and stayed in and watched Holby and Dr Foster.

Don't normally go to away games but am whinging because of all of a sudden I have a mad desire to go to a mickey mouse cup competition between two reserve teams.

or to put it another way, fans, charlatans and whingers.

I generalize, of course, but the whole thing is getting boring. I personally don't think it has anything to do with the cup game but all to do with the glamour games that most won't get to because they haven't accrued enough points so it's just another vehicle to snipe at those have got the points.

The only way the club will stop people harvesting points is by giving points only when a ticket has been scanned through turnstiles but do they have the inclination to do this based on problems from just one game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Sounds like you don't have enough points, unlike those in our group who all have enough points and went on Tuesday.

Had ticket and went.

Had ticket and harvested the points, didn't pass the ticket on and stayed in and watched Holby and Dr Foster.

Don't normally go to away games but am whinging because of all of a sudden I have a mad desire to go to a mickey mouse cup competition between two reserve teams.

I generalize, of course, but the whole thing is getting boring. I personally don't think it has anything to do with the cup game but all to do with the glamour games that most won't get to because they haven't accrued enough points so it's just another vehicle to snipe at those have got the points.

The only way the club will stop people harvesting points is by giving points only when a ticket has been scanned through turnstiles but do they have the inclination to do this based on problems from just one game.

Sounds like we are both making assumptions then. I have plenty of points. I went to the league game but chose not to go to the cup game as can't do the 8 hour round trip on a Tuesday. You seem to have forgotten about people who could have gone, chose not to and did not play the system. What's our label ?
Agree with your last paragraph though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course it happens at every game. Look at the number of season ticket holders that don't turn up for home games. As for the league away games, pretty much everyone who had a ticket went to the games. No doubt there were some that had tickets but could then not go but I don't think you can honestly suggest loads of people were buying tickets for the first two matches just for the points and didn't go! Yes there may have been empty seats but people were crammed in elsewhere so in reality, the only two fixtures where this has been an issue are Barnet an Bournemouth. For Barnet it wasn't really a problem as tickets were available for anyone so that just leaves Bournemouth as the real problem.

Your solution is only a benefit to the JCLs. Why do you find it hard to give credit to those that have had a season ticket for many years and have been regular away followers. Tough if newbies and plain old STH can't get tickets for glamour games. Why should they jump to the front of the queue in our first season back in the top flight when they couldn't be bothered to travel over the last few years.

Fact remains any scheme will leave sections disappointed.

I didn't want a glamour game. I wanted the reserves away at Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup. I'm not a newbie, I just don't have a season ticket.

Also, if you actually read my suggestion, no one would be able to jump the queue to the front. The priority would remain the same as it is and loyalty points would be accrued for attendance at the less attractive games

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Not all DeLoreans are time machines mate

WHAT?! How can you be so sure?

I see them so rarely, so I reckon they are always somewhere else in other centuries.

When I find a painting of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette sat inside one outside the Palace of Versailles, I will have my proof.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sounds like we are both making assumptions then. I have plenty of points. I went to the league game but chose not to go to the cup game as can't do the 8 hour round trip on a Tuesday. You seem to have forgotten about people who could have gone, chose not to and did not play the system. What's our label ?
Agree with your last paragraph though.

Spanish inquisiton.

There are three groups, fans who went, fans who didn't, charlatans and whingers,

Four groups yes four groups

Fans who went, fans who didn't, charlatans, whingers and those accepting the situation.

Sorry, five groups of fans etc etc.

(I actually put you in the category of fan though as circumstances meant we couldn't go on Friday)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't want a glamour game. I wanted the reserves away at Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup. I'm not a newbie, I just don't have a season ticket.

Also, if you actually read my suggestion, no one would be able to jump the queue to the front. The priority would remain the same as it is and loyalty points would be accrued for attendance at the less attractive games

So how many games have gone to general sale then? I believe the answer is none so that would mean no change to the existing system then. Those with the loyalty advantage will still have the loyalty advantage.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
And that hits the nail on the head.

It is not a Loyalty scheme, it's an Rewards scheme designed to reward revenue.

I feel for all the Exiles here (and I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of Exiles only membership with 5% of our allocation put aside in the first tier for Exiles to purchase) and I also feel for the club. The club need to balance driving revenue with protecting the interests of fans.

Where things are not working right now is due to the allocation of points (a midweek away fixture in say Stoke has to be worth more than a home League Cup fixture to Barnet, and yet historically it has not been.)

Also, if digital turnstiles enable the club to harvest the data, then full points allocation should only be given after a fan has purchased and attended the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why "Exiles" should get any priority over STH's sorry! If you want to see the Albion play go to home games!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I disagree. As a season ticket holder on 209 points I put in 160 "hard miles" for a home game, but I doubt I'll have a chance to purchase many away tickets.

I think that's a separate issue. I put in roughly the same for home games, maybe 10 less, but it's never crossed my mind that I should get something for coming to the Amex from far(ish) away that gives me priority for away games. I made the choice to live here. I've been lucky enough over the years to go to a f*** tonne of away games. That's what's put me in the highest bracket.

This is NOT meant to be a 'holier/better than thou' post.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Barbers improvemts to be rolled out in time for swansea release.
e0ea63da99142107a442614563e48935.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think we're all in favour of any scheme that's fair and allows regular loyal supporters to get away tickets - but the current system is flawed. Let's not pretend that the Bournemouth cup match is the only time that the system has been abused, it happens at every away match i.e. Many of those with enough points to get tickets buy them regardless of whether they will attend the match. Generally they sell them to friends and family and if I was fortunate to be in that position I'd probably do the same. The outcome is that those who can buy tickets simply get more points which increases the points gap between them and those that don't have enough points. So as every away match passes the loyalty points gap increases between the "have and have nots" and fans like me and my family become increasingly disenchanted and disenfranchised. For various reasons I can't attend every away match, but having followed the club for many years it would be nice to think that I might be able to get away tickets for 3 or 4 games this season. The current system makes that unlikely. However I will continue to follow the U23 team away from home even though it's not recognised as "loyalty" - presumably because there's no commercial benefit for the club in recognising it as such.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Had ticket and went.

Four groups - those that could have bought a ticket but decided not to either buy a ticket or go to the match for whatever reason. Probably the biggest group of all...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here