Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2017/18 NSC player ratings collated

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I did threaten to do this last year but didn't have nearly enough time. However work is very quiet now, so...

BEHOLD, THE MIGHTY COLLATED GOOGLE SHEET OF NSC'S PLAYER RATINGS

So yeah, as and when I get time I'll try and stick your player ratings in here. I'll put the first 20 submissions in for each match.

1) All scores will be rounded to half-marks between 0 and 10
2) Where people say 'that's how I saw it too, but Propper got a 7 instead of an 8 for me' I'll probably include that as a separate line of ratings
3) If people say 'everyone got a 6' I won't include that
4) Might make up some more rules as I go along.

Not a perfect system - poor Jamie Murphy's score gets dragged down by just three people rating his couple of minutes as a sub at Watford, so I might figure out a way to make that more fair.

Unsurprisingly after five games, Lewis Dunk is head and shoulders above the rest with an average score of 7.72. Solly March in second with 7.15 and Shane Duffy in third with 6.83.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I did threaten to do this last year but didn't have nearly enough time. However work is very quiet now, so...

So yeah, as and when I get time I'll try and stick your player ratings in here. I'll put the first 20 submissions in for each match.

2) Where people say 'that's how I saw it too, but Propper got a 7 instead of an 8 for me' I'll probably include that as a separate line of ratings

Not a perfect system - poor Jamie Murphy's score gets dragged down by just three people rating his couple of minutes as a sub at Watford, so I might figure out a way to make that more fair.

Unsurprisingly after five games, Lewis Dunk is head and shoulders above the rest with an average score of 7.72. Solly March in second with 7.15 and Shane Duffy in third with 6.83.

Perhaps don't include a sub appearance if less than say 5 people have bothered to rate them?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many thanks for producing that.

Interesting to note that:

1. Hemed and Murray have got poor ratings, on a par with the much slagged-off Rosenoir and Suttner, despite getting little service and having to play the lone striker role against PL quality defences on their own.

2. Izquierdo got 6.8 for his nine minute cameo against Watford, the highlight of which was a shot off target.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

:clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What is more surprising is the player that the press have been praising the most (and who made the European team of the week) is not included in the top four players, according to NSC.

Hemed's is hard done by - he's worked his socks off, mainly on his own against PL defences, and scored one fine goal. He's rated behind Izquierdo, who didn't touch the ball in a 25-minute appearance, one of his two cameos.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What is more surprising is the player that the press have been praising the most (and who made the European team of the week) is not included in the top four players, according to NSC.

Hemed's is hard done by - he's worked his socks off, mainly on his own against PL defences, and scored one fine goal. He's rated behind Izquierdo, who didn't touch the ball in a 25-minute appearance, one of his two cameos.

Who was it?

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Top work that man!!

In an ideal world it would probably give a more accurate picture of the average ratings if the sample was bigger than just the first 20 scores, but I appreciate your available time is going to be an issue so don't take that as a formal request!

Well done sir!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Not a perfect system

Great stuff, and as you say not perfect.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but is the average score not just an average of an average. I know you have stated you will take the 1st 20 posters ratings for each game, but especially for substitute appearances, if you accept a score where 5 only score, this could unduly move their average.

If you are taking the 1st 20 posters ratings, I would only include subs when they are rated in all the 20 posters that you use.

Only a suggestion, and its just a bit of fun really, and will still give an indication of the better players over the season as they will have played the most games

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Great stuff, and as you say not perfect.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but is the average score not just an average of an average. I know you have stated you will take the 1st 20 posters ratings for each game, but especially for substitute appearances, if you accept a score where 5 only score, this could unduly move their average.

If you are taking the 1st 20 posters ratings, I would only include subs when they are rated in all the 20 posters that you use.

Only a suggestion, and its just a bit of fun really, and will still give an indication of the better players over the season as they will have played the most games

Point very much taken and I might up the 'sub rating' threshold a bit more. And as for the 'average of average' thing, I get that it's not a 'true' average but the noise on this would get smoothed out pretty reasonably over a 38-game season. (Not doing cup games btw)

EDIT - changed the minimum number of ratings to 10 to generate an average. Short-term result of this is Izquierdo has a preposterous 6.80 average right now but like I say, this is noise that will be levelled out before too long.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't often post in the player ratings thread but I might now this is going (if I remember). Hemed and Gross deserve far higher IMO.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Top work that man!!

In an ideal world it would probably give a more accurate picture of the average ratings if the sample was bigger than just the first 20 scores, but I appreciate your available time is going to be an issue so don't take that as a formal request!

Well done sir!

No worries! Yeah, sadly not enough hours in the day so I have to draw the line somewhere.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here