Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever been ill at a game?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was driving to Gillingham to watch us play our 'home' match against Hartlepool and my mate started to feel sick somewhere along the M25. Although he wasn't actually sick he said he was pretty bad and couldn't go on. I thought best do the right thing and turn round at the next exit which I did. As we approached Hove he started to feel better and we had an afternoon ahead of us and ended up at Crawleys ground watching their game. I haven't forgiven him and remind him of this at least several times a year.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I thought this was an advert for a new claims company....Now that has given me an idea...

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I started feeling ill prior to kick off v athletico. I knew i wasn't right but managed to watch whole game & have 6 beers.

Got home & within 10 minutes started 12 hours of vomiting - v close to puking on the bus home!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was taken ill before the game on Saturday in fact.

I tried to leave the ground but the barstewards wouldn't bloody let me. Eventually I convinced this little blonde one to let me out. Once out I perked right up, so I got a pint in Dick's bar (it was my round anyway, even if I was only buying for meself), at the Harvey's bar in actual fact, drank it at my leisure then tried to gain readmittance into the ground. Can you believe they wouldn't let me back in again! :rant:

I'm annoyed at myself and a little bit the club to be honest with you.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think we should ask [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] how he ended up in an Ambulance and ferried off to hospital while watching a game on the east terrace at the Goldstone.

Still surprised he didn't sue for missing about an hour of the game.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used to feel ill regularly around 3.00pm most Saturdays during the winter - the feeling usually lasted about 2 hours but then miraculously wore off around 4.45. Since Sky started broadcasting matches, it has become completely random.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we've all attended the odd away match suffering from the effects of too much alcohol, either the same day or from the night before... . not been physically sick, but been hanging at times. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has had a few like that as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think we should ask [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] how he ended up in an Ambulance and ferried off to hospital while watching a game on the east terrace at the Goldstone.

Still surprised he didn't sue for missing about an hour of the game.

To be fair it was Blackburn and I fell down one of the crumbling terrace steps ...after a call from ron pavey and others they closed the bottom section of the east terrace....sorry!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I felt ill at the charlton game over Christmas at withdean and it turned out after a week in hospital that I was very close to dying of pulmonary embolisms all over my lungs! I was unwell for while!

Only thanks to Laura and her stubbornness with a dick of a doctor that she got them to do a ct scan that I am still here to tell the tale!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I felt f****** awful at Fulham away last year, luckily the 2 goals perked me up a treat!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sick in the toilets at the Amex for the Doncaster game (although just about managed to do it before the game and half time) and didn't miss any, due to too much the night before.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Couple of panic attacks after getting too hot in the East (stand)
Medical room - taxi home. S'alright. The SJ Ambulance folk are pretty good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fainted on the train between Lewes and Falmer (twice in the 7 min journey). Had bad stomach issues the previous day so hadn't eaten anything at all, so blood/sugar levels were shot. Had a double mars bar and bottle of coke on arrival and was fine after that [emoji23][emoji23]

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The eldest 7 year old badger child burst into tears and declared he was ill just as the teams walked onto the pitch on Saturday. Perfect timing! Not being a horrible father (your opinion might change as you read on) I said are you sure? He said yes and he felt hot so off to look for the ST Johns Ambulance folk we went with youngest 3 year old Badger in tow. Ended up in medical room in East stand, they were very nice. Some Calpol and lots of paperwork later we got back to our seats having missed the first 15 mins.

I asked him to please just try and see out the first half while the calpol kicked in. He’s a brave we soul and I could see he looked better at half time so after some bribery, (£10 holiday spending money, I know I’m a bad person but it was a huge game and he was looking better!) he decided he’d stay the whole game and was feeling much better/wealthier by the end of the game. He was bit poorly on Sunday but again Calpol sorted him out and he is right as rain today playing football.

That got me to thinking, are there any of you lot that have become ill at a game? What Happened what did you do?

Not me but my youngest son at withdean Swindon play off he was 11 . Felt bad just before HT. Took him to the toilet but before we got there he was sick in front of a St John's jobsworth or so I thought at the time. We were then ushered off to the 1st aid portacabin we me protesting that he was OK. Luckily they were having none of it and sent a request for the club doctor over the tannoy. That was the end of the game for me as they summonsed an ambulance and rushed him of to hospital. He was in for two weeks. Kidney failure more or less. Spent the next 10yrs in and out of hospital and had a defunct one removed and the other scraped clean. Looks like a zip all around his body poor sod.
Hopefully the other damaged one holds out or he will be getting my old farty arty one.
The club were fantastic at the time as we're spurs surprisingly

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Broke arm playing football in Hove park before game vs. Leeds in about 1989... Incredibly, I think it broke just from the force of the ball, when saving a mate's shot.

Despite my mum trying to persuade me otherwise I insisted on going to the game, before going to hospital where they put a cast on.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once, when I was still young free and single, I attended a game at Withdean whilst signed off work with flu (only time I've ever had it - a cold is called a cold in my book). That was possibly one of the stupidest things I have done as I felt terrible and had an hours drive home after.

In the promotion season 2010/11, I had a relentless man flu/cold that lasted through Jan to March. But the Albion seemed to have crucial midweek home games every week and we were winning game after game, with brilliant football from Murray, Barnes, Calderon, Bennett, Noooone and co. After wrapping up in thermal layers from winter sports holidays, I made it to each win but felt like shite, making the cold last for months.

D

Deleted User X18H

Myself and the wife had a blazing row on the way to Withdean once. So as not to disappoint the people we sat with I got @DrNotthenineoclocknews to dress up as her. I stuffed cotton wool in his mouth put dark glasses on him and told him he could only wave. Some idiot kept asking for a choc ice and he bit the bloke in the row in front who said his thighs had puffed up. Crazy days

Last edited:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I had chicken pox at the play off final against Nott's County, but I didn't know it until I got home and passed out on the floor. I woke up next day covered with spots. Belated apologies if I passed it on to anyone at the game.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Managed to trip and headbutt a dry stone wall outside Edgeley Park, Stockport, before the last time we played them (2009?). Knocked unconscious and woke up in an ambulance but managed to persuade them to discharge me and I made it in for 2nd half (for free!) thanks to my Stockport mate Pete who even came and stood in the away end with me to make sure I didnt relapse. A late equaliser made it all worthwhile.
Woke up the next morning with the mother of all heads including an egg haematoma. Made it to work in London but had to go to A&E and diagnosed with post-concussive trauma and signed off work for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here