Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley friendly

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Happy to be proved wrong and hope he turns out to be the best keeper we have ever had. Obviously there is a point a which a keeper is too small. If we had signed someone 4ft tall we would all be moaning (and even a dwarf would have kept a clean sheet in the first half against Crawley). All i am doing as someone who was behind the goal today is saying he is very small for a Premier League keeper (probably the smallest in the league i suspect) for the benefit and interest of anyone not there today. For all we know, he may not be earmarked as our number 1 keeper anyway.

Record transfer fee and not number 1 ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Obviously he grows a few inches when he plays internationally. :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ, some of the f*cking posts on here. Let's just accept our relegation now, because our scouts obviously missed how tall Ryan is and therefore we are f*cked. If we're going to judge goalkeepers on their physical appearance then I'd still take a goalkeeper who doesn't "have footballers legs" over a visibly overweight Stockdale.

Not just our scouts that have had the wool pulled over their eyes but Valencia and Genk as well. Same height as Cassilas as well what were Real Madrid thinking for all of those years. However what do all these scouts know anyway a couple of people have seen Ryan stand under a crossbar at Crawley in a game he has not made a save and written him off already.

Couldn't make it up could you only on NSC

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
You do realise that Ryan is a lot more athletic than Stockdale, I'm sure he can make up those extra inches and then some by be able to jump higher and react that bit faster.

I hope so. He did not have anything to do in the first half so I can not comment at all on his keeping ability from that game other than he did one very accurate low kick out to Bruno which looked good. He looks small. Some of the lower end Premier League teams (Stoke, WBA, Burnley etc) are massive and physical so he may have a problem with that. He may be able to cope, who knows at the moment.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I hope so. He did not have anything to do in the first half so I can not comment at all on his keeping ability from that game other than he did one very accurate low kick out to Bruno which looked good. He looks small. Some of the lower end Premier League teams (Stoke, WBA, Burnley etc) are massive and physical so he may have a problem with that. He may be able to cope, who knows at the moment.

And don't forget his legs don't look like footballers legs.

Maybe he was always sitting behind a desk when our scouts went to see him so they didn't notice his rubbish legs or how small he is?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You do realise that Ryan is a lot more athletic than Stockdale, I'm sure he can make up those extra inches and then some by be able to jump higher and react that bit faster.

He has to be bloody good then. Some of the shit written about Stockdale looking over weight and other stuff is laughable.

Don't forget he was voted the best keeper last year. Managed to save at least 3 penalties. A presence in goal who made very few mistakes. Excellent reactions and generally a brilliant shot stopper.

Ryan has a lot to prove especially being our record buy.

Look at the storm it created on here over the summer whether he was staying or not.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn out like the Murray transfer where we didn't pay enough money and regretted it badly letting him go on a free.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

We're doomed then, we're not physical AND have a midget in goal...

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Not just our scouts that have had the wool pulled over their eyes but Valencia and Genk as well. Same height as Cassilas as well what were Real Madrid thinking for all of those years. However what do all these scouts know anyway a couple of people have seen Ryan stand under a crossbar at Crawley in a game he has not made a save and written him off already.

Couldn't make it up could you only on NSC

Tom Heaton England Goalkeeper is 6' 1" Ryan is at best 2" shorter. 2" for Christ's sake, I bet that means he will let a hatful in. Some of the comments on here are laughable. We have signed three players and two of them have already taken a lot of stick for either being too short or too slow. It won't be long before someone finds fault with Gross. They complain that we are not making signings and when we do they slag them off. Only on NSC.

bridge

Mar 16, 2011
Tom Heaton England Goalkeeper is 6' 1" Ryan is at best 2" shorter. 2" for Christ's sake, I bet that means he will let a hatful in. Some of the comments on here are laughable. We have signed three players and two of them have already taken a lot of stick for either being too short or too slow. It won't be long before someone finds fault with Gross. They complain that we are not making signings and when we do they slag them off. Only on NSC.

Hugo Lloris another who's no giant. Guess he'd be a dodgy keeper too if he signed tomorrow.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
He said all along that he wanted to go back home and the club didnt want him to sign permanently so that matter wasnt followed through. Therefore a pointless discussion.

Get off your high horse. You're the master of pointless discussion. Drone thread included.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still at least we now know which random thread will be :bounce:d in x weeks/months time by someone prematurely saying 'I told you so'.

The predictability is almost comforting.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
In case anyone missed it, there's an in-depth review at http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2017/07/22/albion-hit-crawley-town-for-six/:

Albion hit Crawley Town for six
Posted On 22 Jul 2017 at 5:34 pm
By : Tim Hodges
Comment: 0

Crawley Town 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 6
Brighton and Hove Albion comprehensively dispatched of their nearest local rivals with a convincing win at the Checkatrade Stadium.

Six different Albion players scored, including new signing Pascal Gross and Conner Goldson not long after the latter’s life saving heart surgery.

Albion’s other scorer’s were Solly March after just four minutes, Tomer Hemed, Jamie Murphy and a Glenn Murray penalty.

New signing, goalkeeper Maty Ryan made his debut in the first half , but hardly touched the ball.

Niki Maenpaa took over in the second half.

I've translated it in to Spanish, to Icelandic, to Zulu, to Romanian and back to English. Still makes about as much sense.

Brighton and Hove Albion to send the worst Inn close to local rivals Agri A compelling voice to the trade.

Six players marked Albion differentiated in my signature and Pascal Gross and Conner Goldson Nikki old after a recent Salvador heart surgery.

Best scorer Albion VAR Solly March, after just four minutes, Tomer HEMED, Jamie Murphy Glenn Murray A Penal.

The recruitment, Matya Ryan ported his debut in the first half, but barely touched the ball.

Niki Mäenpää was in the second half.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
As others have already suggested, it is nothing short of mind-boggling to try and refer to some sort of muscular or height deficiency (an idea that's, put plainly, ludicrous, the guy's not a dwarf for Christ's sake, he's over 6ft) as "evidence" that Ryan is inferior to Stockdale, despite our new No1 not having actually made any errors in a Brighton shirt to support these claims. Now is the time to get behind the squad, whereas the time to pass comment on various squad members is after they have had a decent opportunity to prove their worth during the new season. Rant over.:albion2:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
thank you

There could have been some more Albion fans sitting in the main stand, the seating area for away fans was full up and sold out I believe. I have sat in the main stand before at a Crawley v Albion friendly.
The away terraces were pretty packed this afternoon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Happy to be proved wrong and hope he turns out to be the best keeper we have ever had. Obviously there is a point a which a keeper is too small. If we had signed someone 4ft tall we would all be moaning (and even a dwarf would have kept a clean sheet in the first half against Crawley). All i am doing as someone who was behind the goal today is saying he is very small for a Premier League keeper (probably the smallest in the league i suspect) for the benefit and interest of anyone not there today. For all we know, he may not be earmarked as our number 1 keeper anyway.

£5 million as a reserve keeper?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here