Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MacDonald's of wines Jacobs Creek, Blossom Hill, Harry's etc

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If this thread appeared on a Fulham messageboard, you'd be slaughtering us. Expect to hear the chant 'Does your sommelier know you're here?' next season. Anyway, as I'm here now, I agree it's difficult to get a decent bottle for around a fiver. I'm a big fan of Portuguese wine (except Mateus rose) and we blessed with 2 branches of Henry Butler (3 if you count Fourth and Church) which has won Portuguese Wine Retailer of the Year and is super friendly.

Agree with all this, apart from the fact that you support the wrong team.
Are you of the view that you'll be singing that chant to us next season?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I absolutely love the TTD Priorat. Get a bottle every time I'm in which is probably why the wife's taken to shopping online.

It's abnormally cheap for Priorat, which normally goes for upwards of £20 and can quite easily get into three-figure territory

Following these strong recommendations i have purchased a bottle to have with my dinner tonight. Looking forward to it!

I_am_marmalade

Jun 6, 2014
Fairly new to the world of wine so have been reading this thread with interest. Should I be put off by a screw cap? Don't know a massive amount about wine but have always thought a corked bottle to be a superior drink

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Fairly new to the world of wine so have been reading this thread with interest. Should I be put off by a screw cap? Don't know a massive amount about wine but have always thought a corked bottle to be a superior drink

Years ago maybe, for sure not now. The old world wines, france etc favour them, new world like aussies and nz prefer screw.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Screw caps are better.

That doesn't tell you whether the wine inside is better or worse though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The problem with cork for a long time is that they got complacent, and an increasing number of wines sealed with cork were tainted or 'corked'. Since then, more and more bottles of wine have been sealed with screwcaps or plastic corks. But it tends to be the lower- and mid-priced wines that have this seal, with also a bias towards the New World wines. Most expensive wines are still sealed with cork. I prefer a cork still, which enables a wine to age better through gradual oxidation, but only for more expensive wines.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The problem with cork for a long time is that they got complacent, and an increasing number of wines sealed with cork were tainted or 'corked'. Since then, more and more bottles of wine have been sealed with screwcaps or plastic corks. But it tends to be the lower- and mid-priced wines that have this seal, with also a bias towards the New World wines. Most expensive wines are still sealed with cork. I prefer a cork still, which enables a wine to age better through gradual oxidation, but only for more expensive wines.

Funnily enough I was chatting yesterday to an Australian winemaker who only uses screwcaps, for his reds and his whites, whether they're premium or everyday fare. His view - and he's scientifically trained - is that screwcaps are perfect for ageing wines as they do allow a certain amount of micro-oxygenation but the level is much more predictable than it is with cork. (Though it should be added that he's not a believer in the idea that this is what really helps a wine to age well.)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Actually, while we're on the subject: I have to source wine fairly soon for my wedding.

Many congratulations on your nuptials, a balaclava and sawn off has been the traditional way of sourcing booze for these affairs I believe... :jester:

Can I ask is the future Mr Krabappel also one of Sussex's Finest? If so I might run into him as I have a few jobs coming up for your mob at Lewes and Gatwick!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Funnily enough I was chatting yesterday to an Australian winemaker who only uses screwcaps, for his reds and his whites, whether they're premium or everyday fare. His view - and he's scientifically trained - is that screwcaps are perfect for ageing wines as they do allow a certain amount of micro-oxygenation but the level is much more predictable than it is with cork. (Though it should be added that he's not a believer in the idea that this is what really helps a wine to age well.)

think you'll find the common view among Australian wine makers is that the less they throw away the better.....not many vineyards using cork these days at all...maybe on the continent where cork is still being used the wine is made for a vastly lower cash amount and for more traditional uses ....mainly local , transporting corked bottles by air is virtually impossible....stelvin is the way forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here