Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex playing surface is in good nick following pitch invasion

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Incredible what products can be used now to keep football pitches immaculate at any time of the season and yet a few days at the Wimbledon tennis and the grass is nearly all gone.

Hardly comparable, a tiny area played on for probably 80 hours over the fortnight

Went on a guided behind the scenes tour of the Amex today and ended up on the pitch. The playing surface was in very good nick considering how many fans invaded the pitch on Easter Monday.

For those not yet been on the tour I can recommend it for the finale alone of walking through the tunnel out on to the pitch while Sussex by the Sea is played over the tannoy. It was a very emotional moment. The emotion possibly had something to do with it being 20 years (to the day) after the final game ever played at the Goldstone.

???

Attachments

• green paint.jpeg
    green paint.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 269

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Probably Stockdale.

Made me laugh.

As an aside I once went into Fratton Park (because the gate was open). Walked the length of the pitch, thought what can I do to wreck their pitch? Then dropped a packet of polos all over the goal mouth by the away end. Hooligan.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Some twit had dropped a packet of biscuits in the north stand penalty area & that were being crushed into the grass. Some people..

Probably hobnobbing with the classier fans?

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
Didn't let me on the pitch when I went on the tour, is that a new thing?

No it's not a new thing. You are still only allowed as far as the artificial grass around the outside of the playing surface up to the touchline. There is a sign near the touchline saying do not go on the pitch. We broke the rules.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was amazed how GRASSY the pitch smelt. (yes, I know it's grass)

I convinced myself that the hay-fever I suffer with is the only reason I couldn't have made it as a professional footballer.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hardly comparable, a tiny area played on for probably 80 hours over the fortnight

Fair point.

The footwear makes a difference as well, along with the heat. Tennis players aren't keen on the first couple of days as it gets very slippery especially if it's damp.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Incredible what products can be used now to keep football pitches immaculate at any time of the season and yet a few days at the Wimbledon tennis and the grass is nearly all gone.

Indeed, with water being one of the most important. Football pitches are watered loads, inc pre-match and half time. However, watering at Wimbledon during the playing fortnight would make the surface too slippery for safe play - so it goes a bit brown where it's taking most use .... [good] cricket wickets are brown too - due to lack of water - if it's got some green in it, it got some water in it too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here