Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
my ex boss - palace - was on Facebook on the evening of our promotion with the easy 6 point bollox.

i have a man utd friend who has two season - he, however, has invited me to Old Trafford for the away leg.

we seem to have an unusually large number of premier league plastics in Brighton - partly due to our history I guess and partly because the city attracts many people to live here from whatever shitty part of the country they originally hail from
You'll find that every town and city has many of these types...Weirdos :)

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Their choice I suppose,and they missed out on the ride .
The Goldstone,Gillingham ,Withdean fans know who we are and were part of the dream.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Can we officially ban the use of ' Premiership ' on this forum. FFS....ITS ' PREMIER LEAGUE '.......I keep thinking people are talking about rugby, when they use the word ' Premiership ' Its far easier to use PL and be done with it.
I'm well aware of that hence the quotation marks - the point is that the Aresenal STH wasn't.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
All I keep getting at the moment is how when their Prem team (who they've never seen live) turn up at the Amex to give our lot a thrashing will they be alright to get a ticket. I just tell them that I'm sure they won't have any trouble and it'll all be fine.

good idea ... I keep getting the 'can you get me a ticket? ... how much are they?' I say 'I don't know how much tickets are. I have a ST, so don't need to know'. Being female I usually get a patronising 'Oh good for you (little woman toddling off to football)'

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The ones who convert I don't mind at all, it shows that deep down they are proud of Brighton/Sussex and their roots at least enough to drop whatever ridiculous affiliation they previously had with <insert PL club> (just not proud enough to support us outside the big time). I still won't play the superior fan card to them, it just feels like i'm being a dick.

The ones I can't abide are the stubborn set who think they ooze integrity by telling me they are sticking with said ridiculous affiliation, loosely based on some fabricated tale of a distant uncle once giving them a poster of Ryan Giggs from Shoot magazine. The ones who will still tell you Brighton are shit and an 'easy six points for them' despite being several generation Brighton born. I've had three encounters like this so far, where I genuinely think they want me to give them credit for sticking with 'their' club and not jumping on the albion bandwagon.

"Well done mate, you still support Man United, that shows class". :shrug:

Absolutely no time for them whatsoever.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are a load of people not that interested in football but take a passing interest in the top flight. Who knew? :shrug:

I can't really be arsed now at my age.

I usually meet these comments with a sarcastic reply of "yeah, lovely story, really" they get the hint and fúck off.
(although nowadays I seem to have less friends than I used to, dunno why)

I have a friend who supports MASSIVE and after the play off gave me and the lads grief via Facebook when we ignored him, he just went into a drunken rant of verbal abuse regardless. (you're damned if you do etc)

My palace supporting mates have been silent for the last 3 months

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's human psychology in many ways. People just want to associate only with success and glamour, not work for it etc and strangely (in terms of my outlook anyway) don't give a shit about those who've earned the right to see us in the Premier or have any shame about jumping on board now. The same types will desert if /when times get tough again. You have to watch them closely. They have no scruples and their male ancestors were the first to shove women and children out the way to get into a lifeboat when the Titanic went down.

I have nothing but contempt for plastic Prem fans and their ow so funny banter. Just give them a pityful look and say 'you fool...' before walking away. And leave at that.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal/Spurs\Chelsea and the odd Man U of course. They've all, seeing me disappear for games midweek, and hearing me talk about the club, been aware of what's been going on and are happy for me. I was even given a bottle of bubbly on the Tuesday after the Wigan game!

For my part, I don't mind the newbies or returners who buy season tickets. Their money is as good as anybody else's to the club. But there's one thing that they, and all the plastics, will never know. They'll never know what it means to have been there for the whole thing. What felt like an inexorable decline from about 1991, the mess of the 90s generally, seeing us lose the Goldstone and the club's soul, half time on the terrace at Hereford, putting up with Gillingham, fighting for the club's very existence. Then Withdean, then this. Everybody who was there for all of that had a feeling last Monday that the JCLs simply can't appreciate. I'm not saying we're better fans or anything, but part of me feels that those supporters have in all seriousness missed out on something that binds just a few thousand people in a feeling that can't be bought, can't be polished or sold by Sky, can't really adequately be explained. (I can't, anyway.) I almost feel a bit sorry for them, missing out on what that felt like.

I'm sure most of them won't give a damn, and will have enjoyed promotion hugely. Fair play - who wouldn't? But for a few thousand, it was just a bit more special than they'll ever realise, I think.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
It's infuriating. I run a pub in High Wycombe and the bar is full of Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea 'supporters'. Not one of them has ever been to a game 'at home' in the last thirty years and I'm the only person in the place who ever does go to 'live' matches. (I've even been to Wycombe Wanderers on rare occasions, although that's not for the faint hearted). There's no answer that I can see, so I just smile and say 'we'll see next season, won't we' - after all, they do in the end pay my wages... I also had a pretty rough evening last week when Stockdale was going for his hat trick.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I mentioned on another thread about the bloke where I work who's never once been to a game, but has just paid £25 for a Bronze membership for next season, under the assumption that this'll enable him to buy tickets to any game he fancies.

I must admit I took mild satisfaction in telling him "good luck getting a ticket then". And I liked the way his face fell as he realised that, at best, all he'd got was a small chance of perhaps getting to see Stoke.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Can we officially ban the use of ' Premiership ' on this forum. FFS....ITS ' PREMIER LEAGUE '.......I keep thinking people are talking about rugby, when they use the word ' Premiership ' Its far easier to use PL and be done with it.

Strange I don't remember any comments on here complaining about Gordon Greer calling it the Premiership when being interviewed on Sky the other night

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I mentioned on another thread about the bloke where I work who's never once been to a game, but has just paid £25 for a Bronze membership for next season, under the assumption that this'll enable him to buy tickets to any game he fancies.

I must admit I took mild satisfaction in telling him "good luck getting a ticket then". And I liked the way his face fell as he realised that, at best, all he'd got was a small chance of perhaps getting to see Stoke.

I think this needs to go on the Bellcheese thread too with regular updates on his attempts to purchase tickets and his state of mind.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Work colleague is a Man Utd fan (despite originating from the North East)! Never seen them play live...of course! So the conversation went:

Me: You haven't asked me if I can get you a ticket for Man Utd game at the Amex next season

Him:*excitedly* Oh! Can you get me a ticket for the game?

Me: No. **** off!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't wait for the inevitable letters in the Argus when Mums complain they cannot get their son a ticket for the Arsenal home game.

Also remember everyone those Arsenal fans that do come to the Amex will be top bracket away supporters so don't call them plastic

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yep got this from a group of arsenal lads travelling to liverpool street from southend , i was on my way to the london marathon quietly minding my own business in my lovely BHA hoodie when i was spotted and immediately set upon with very scream for a policeman hurtful stuff like where was my boyfriend , it went a bit quiet when i replied here he comes as a mahoosive bloke started walking towards us probably looking for the bog , you could here a pin drop as he ambled by , as soon as they realised they had been blagged the mood changed somewhat in to general football banter , Akpom being the main topic , strange thing is most of them actually rate him as a decent prospect , when i asked how many of them had actually seen him play 1 bloke said yes , typical .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You can't get too worked up by these things, it's been going on since the year dot but at the moment it's not as subtle as usual because of the promotion.

For years I've avoided football talk with armchair fans. If people who I knew didn't play or go to matches tried to talk to me about football I'd just politely move the conversation onto something else, it's just not worth bothering with. I'd purposely not join in with the Monday morning conversations at work, even though I seen the games. Armchair fans are a different breed to us, you just ignore them and pity them.

You can't tar every prem fan with the same brush though. I've got a few mates with family ties to London clubs, which is only natural in this part of the world. I know two Chelsea fans who have been STH since the 90s and they've have to put up with being called plastics since the Abramovich takeover. They just view all the plastics, tourists and hangers-on as a necessary evil.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne

I went Bronze, like I have for the last 3 or 4 seasons or so. Only option myself and some others will have. I don't expect to be able to get tickets for the 'Category A' away games, but it'll give me a chance to attend some others.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
good idea ... I keep getting the 'can you get me a ticket? ... how much are they?' I say 'I don't know how much tickets are. I have a ST, so don't need to know'. Being female I usually get a patronising 'Oh good for you (little woman toddling off to football)'

Steer them all to the ticket office. Especially the patronising ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here