Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Sussex Flags for the promotion finale Pleeeeaaasssee!!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just ordered 3 of the polyester ones off Amazon. 1 to display at home and 2 for Saturday week.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Well done the folk at GR Teamwear in Burgess Hill :clap::clap::clap:
https://www.facebook.com/grteamwear/posts/1464525910266535

image.jpeg

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Two ordered so we can fly the flag in the North :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I have to admit I find this all a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong,I love (Good Old) Sussex by the sea as an anthem and I tell anyone who will listen how Brighton are the club of Sussex but...

I just find all this sussex 'nationalism' a bit forced. Brighton in the premier league is nothing like Barca or Swansea. Sorry!

I'm all for more flags and banners but it's Brighton and Hove Albion first(sounds trumpesque that...) incorporating Sussex, kinda like that pretty cool Dolphin/ Martlets badge posted earlier. If there's no Albion involved, I'm out.

edit: I hope that doesn't sound too negative, I dont want to piss on anyones parade.:ascarf:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have to admit I find this all a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong,I love (Good Old) Sussex by the sea as an anthem and I tell anyone who will listen how Brighton are the club of Sussex but...

I just find all this sussex 'nationalism' a bit forced. Brighton in the premier league is nothing like Barca or Swansea. Sorry!

I'm all for more flags and banners but it's Brighton and Hove Albion first(sounds trumpesque that...) incorporating Sussex, kinda like that pretty cool Dolphin/ Martlets badge posted earlier. If there's no Albion involved, I'm out.

edit: I hope that doesn't sound too negative, I dont want to piss on anyones parade.:ascarf:

I rather like it. It gives a bit more belonging and parity to those who live in Sussex outside of the main conurbation of Brighton & Hove, making us bigger and stronger. Just my thoughts.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I rather like it. It gives a bit more belonging and parity to those who live in Sussex outside of the main conurbation of Brighton & Hove, making us bigger and stronger. Just my thoughts.

I'm not against the inclusion. I'm all for Brighton being Sussex's club, I'm not even against the Sussex flags per se. It just feels a bit like a forced hi-jacking to me, something maybe a little outside of just football. A sussex nationalism grafted onto the Albion.

Actually, I can' really explain what I feel, it's vague at best, so I guess just ignore more! As long as we're all pulling for the Albion:thumbsup:

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex

If you go back to the early 20th Century and before, ones county/local identity would have been just as important as ones national identity. It's only since globalisation, national television and probably two world wars where the country had to pull together as one, the general culture in this country is that national identity is most important. Just look at how William Ward-Higgs wrote an anthem in early 1900s about soldiers fighting for Sussex, there's no mention of Britain of whom soldiers were actually fighting for. There's foods named after counties, it's a Sussex Pond Pudding not a British Pond Pudding. I'd like to think we can go back to a culture where local/county identity is equal to national one, and there's nothing stopping this really, and flying the county flag is one way of doing this. It's not forced, it's gradually being encouraged. This isn't an independence movement. Sussex needs its proud identity back!

You just have to look at the examples I've given in North America and Mainland Europe, it's instinctive in those footballing cultures to make great use of the local flag. There's no reason why this can't be the same in England.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If you go back to the early 20th Century and before, ones county/local identity would have been just as important as ones national identity. It's only since globalisation, national television and probably two world wars where the country had to pull together as one, the general culture in this country is that national identity is most important. Just look at how William Ward-Higgs wrote an anthem in early 1900s about soldiers fighting for Sussex, there's no mention of Britain of whom soldiers were actually fighting for. There's foods named after counties, it's a Sussex Pond Pudding not a British Pond Pudding. I'd like to think we can go back to a culture where local/county identity is equal to national one, and there's nothing stopping this really, and flying the county flag is one way of doing this. It's not forced, it's gradually being encouraged. This isn't an independence movement. Sussex needs its proud identity back!

You just have to look at the examples I've given in North America and Mainland Europe, it's instinctive in those footballing cultures to make great use of the local flag. There's no reason why this can't be the same in England.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I guess it's a gut thing for me that I struggle to rationalise. I think I'm more of a globalist(if that's a word or has any meaning). I like the greater inter-connectivity that the modern world brings and want more of it. I like the idea of 'us' growing and 'them' diminishing. It's a pretty interesting psychological/sociological question but probably not best suited for here so I'll leave it at that and say the more flags and banners (of all types)the merrier.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Yeah, that all makes sense. I guess it's a gut thing for me that I struggle to rationalise. I think I'm more of a globalist(if that's a word or has any meaning). I like the greater inter-connectivity that the modern world brings and want more of it. I like the idea of 'us' growing and 'them' diminishing. It's a pretty interesting psychological/sociological question but probably not best suited for here so I'll leave it at that and say the more flags and banners (of all types)the merrier.

It can certainly be "us" without being "them". Just because we're celebrating ourselves doesn't mean we're going against others. I actively encourage other counties/local communities to celebrate themselves. It doesn't mean they're doing it to be against outsiders.

As for flying the Sussex flag at Albion games, if you think about it Sussex by the Sea doesn't bare any real relation to Brighton & Hove Albion originally, it's only now after many decades that there is a strong connection. Why can't the same be for the Albion and the Sussex flag? It's the same concept. It's not an hijacking, it's just doing exactly what other footballing cultures do around the world to celebrate their local community, I'm merely trying to replicate this. There's nothing anti-others about it, it's inclusive.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
5 arrived today. 6 x 4 ft

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
At least 21 sold from two eBay retailers since this thread was started!! :ascarf: One of which has now sold out!

I've found another retailer on eBay selling them for £3.40 each...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sussex-Fl...ter-With-Eyelets-English-County-/271954340957
Says if ordered today then it'll get to you by Thursday.

There is of course the Amazon retailer selling them for £2.55
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sussex+flag
Again, if ordered today should get to you by Thursday

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Let's celebrate this massive achievement for Sussex as a whole by displaying the county's flag with pride in even greater numbers in the final promotion and championship push, to compliment the sea of Blue and White.
Great idea. I will dig my one out of the loft and attach it to a suitable stick.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here