Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The end game for uber is no drivers, no overheads other than maintaining self driving cars.

thats the end game for the cab industry. the end game for Uber is insolvency when investors dump the company when the market is overrun by competitors.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I got a taxi at around 11pm a few weekends back from Worthing town centre taxi rank to down by the Mulberry Pub in Goring-By-Sea.

2.7 mile journey and it cost me £10!

I know it is not much but 5 years ago that cost me £5.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
thats the end game for the cab industry. the end game for Uber is insolvency when investors dump the company when the market is overrun by competitors.

I'd agree if Uber weren't developing their own self-driving cars. They're attempting to future proof themselves and get a leg up on any competitors. The brand already gives them a leg up, as does expanding into other areas, like their food delivery business (and I think they're trialling grocery delivery in the States).

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I use Uber in Sydney and would never go back to a cab ever again.
Around 30% cheaper, spotless vehicles, you know exactly what your wait time will be and it's easy to track.
A fair few of the Uber drivers are ex-cabbies and they reckon on average after 2 hours on the road they've covered their costs for the day and the rest is profit
as opposed to their days of driving cabs which would take 5 hours to reach that stage.
As for surge pricing, I don't mind to pay 1.5 times the fare on a wet Friday evening if it secures me a quick ride.
But by the same token I wouldn't be prepared to cop a 9x surcharge on NYE but can understand that supply & demand would necessitate that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"Market forces." my cabbie snarled at me, a couple of weekends ago. "It's Saturday night. You've seen how many people want cabs."

"Market forces?" I replied. "Let's see how much you like them when Uber arrives."

I'm sick to my back teeth of Brighton taxi drivers. The exchange above happened after the taxi driver left the meter running while I was getting money together to pay the fare (there were a few of us in the taxi). I'm also not best pleased about paying a set fare of £25 from the Marina to Peacehaven. I've done it off the meter before and it's almost £10 less than the 'set' amount.

Having used Uber for plenty of nights out when I lived in London, I look forward to them arriving in Brighton. My taxi home in London went from £50 to £20 with Uber..

Sorry Brighton cabs - the monopoly is over!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Arrow or A&A cabs in Worthing is always £25-£30 Worthing to Brighton so more expensive than a minicab then?

Which is all well and good, except unless you have to pre-book, pre-pay etc. Its a faff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Definitely an Uber convert having used them in Birmingham this year getting to and from the Edgabaston cricket / various pubs / curry house. Even at midnight on Friday on surge pricing they weren't that dear and were very efficient.

Contrast that with the rude bitch I got on the end of the phone the last time I called to complain to 414141 that one of their cabs had failed to turn up. Again.

App installed, discount code applied.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see Uber lost on the self-employed case - that's going to put prices up a bit.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hope this works out down here, got a 40 min ride across London for 20 quid a couple of months ago!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
London cabbies will be dancing in the streets tonight.
I think this screws up the whole Uber business plan, their drivers earn less than the minimum wage once they have paid their costs and have to work really long hours to make a living, but as i said before it suits some of their drivers.
They do not see themselves as self employed but Uber do and that is how they manage cheaper fares, no doubt they will find a way around it, as i said they are a very hard nosed business.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Did you get to that Cubs game ?

Yes, Cubs beat the Giants in their first playoff game--called the National League Division Series--it was between the team with the best W/L record in the National League and the wild card team. San Francisco had to beat NY Mets in a one off to be able to play Chicago. It took 4 games for the Cubs to win 3 matches over SF Giants.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Not yet:

Jo Bertram, Uber's UK manager, said: "Tens of thousands of people in London drive with Uber precisely because they want to be self-employed and their own boss.
"The overwhelming majority of drivers who use the Uber app want to keep the freedom and flexibility of being able to drive when and where they want. While the decision of this preliminary hearing only affects two people, we will be appealing it."

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think you may find that the price goes up and down according to demand/availability etc so as they have not even started yet you cannot believe that price, for example in extreme circumstances when there was a terrorist alert in Sydney the cost to get the hell out of there went up to a ridiculous price.
I dont live in Brighton but i do know that the cost of taxis is ridiculous so i think they deserve everything they get.
BUT, do not think that Uber is the great answer to everything, they are a very rich and unscrupulous company, true it suits some of their drivers but most are totally ripped off by the time they have paid all there costs to Uber, i would also think that bungs were made to the council for the license.
There has also been issues over insurance and there drivers etc etc, the boss of Uber is one very hard nosed b****.
I know a bit about them because my bro in law is a London cabbie so obviously hates them and black cab drivers are doing all they can to get rid of them, they have a point what with the Knowledge and all that,i was surprised Boris gave them a license, maybe another bung, the cabbies are wasting there time Uber are there to stay in London.
Personally i think they are an horrible company, but Brighton cabs deserve whats coming to them.

Meet the man changing the ride industry all over the world

9848448_uber-ceo-travis-kalanick-doesnt-have-a_837828a8_m.jpg

2296dcfe9b63f0d79bd2505adeba08a27052d953_2880x1620.jpg

0.jpg

Travis Kalanick

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I see Uber lost on the self-employed case - that's going to put prices up a bit.

London cabbies will be dancing in the streets tonight.
I think this screws up the whole Uber business plan, their drivers earn less than the minimum wage once they have paid their costs and have to work really long hours to make a living, but as i said before it suits some of their drivers.
They do not see themselves as self employed but Uber do and that is how they manage cheaper fares, no doubt they will find a way around it, as i said they are a very hard nosed business.

I wonder if they might flex the surge charges a bit. Either put up their basic rates a little but cut how much they add on at busy times so that they are competitive then. Or add even more at peak times and get people to pay for their convenience and service. I bet they're doing market research right now. And I bet they still end up much cheaper than a black cab or an unmetered late night Brighton taxi.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not yet:

Jo Bertram, Uber's UK manager, said: "Tens of thousands of people in London drive with Uber precisely because they want to be self-employed and their own boss.
"The overwhelming majority of drivers who use the Uber app want to keep the freedom and flexibility of being able to drive when and where they want. While the decision of this preliminary hearing only affects two people, we will be appealing it."

There are several other similar cases going through the system right now and MPs are looking into this as well: this is not just a one-off.

Personally, I'm delighted with this and hope it sticks. It shouldn't hit the genuinely self-employed but the false self-employed. I speak from bitter experience here: about seven years ago, my employer told me it was shifting me from paid employment to self-employed and cutting my salary accordingly. I still had to do the same amount of work but I would gain by not having to travel to London and I was 'free' to take on other work - this freedom was illusory though as I didn't really have much time to do any more.

I've since learned that what the company did was illegal and that HMRC are clamping down on companies who do this. The Uber decision is just one part of this process: I'm sure there are going be a lot more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here