Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bendtner

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure that motivation could be found in a very rewarding contract.

Not to mention the motivation of earning NOTHING recently.

It would need to be a performance-related contract then. If they just start lobbing him £25k a week for a year or two then he's the type who will just get out the pipe and slippers. IMO like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would need to be a performance-related contract then. If they just start lobbing him £25k a week for a year or two then he's the type who will just get out the pipe and slippers. IMO like.
That's what I meant.
Not that NB would be desperately interested but I'd want to focus some pretty hefty bonuses around clean sheets and assists.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Imagine the quality of that dressing gown/slipper combination though, would be glorious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sometimes I just don't get whether you're doing irony, but I'll work on the assumption that you're being serious in this post, and directly quote John McEnroe: 'You cannot be serious'.
We have four strikers. Of those, two are proven goalscorers at this level, if somewhat similar in style, perhaps incompatible to play alongside one another. A third is a proven performer at this level with numerous positive attributes, if poor at goalscoring and now seemingly woeful at getting into the position to score. A fourth remains -- and I'll rarely quote Naylor here -- enigmatic.
Given all this, CH might have to change his system/formation (he's already played several since his been here) in the next c20 games before the transfer window re-opens. I think this is the most likely alternative in the eventuality of injuries, loss/non-improvement of form, etc, especially given by common consent we have good quality in wide players. I see little reason why March, Knockaert or Murphy can't play in a withdrawn striker role, ACM, number 10, call it what you will. I actually find the prospect of March and Knockaert playing together devastating, especially if they're granted more flexibility. Alternatively, CH might bring through a youngster to give them a chance (Harper, Hambo).

4 strikers?
Shouldn't that be 3 + the one CH has been desperate to off load for 6 months.

Of our 5 wingers:-
1 is injured.
1 seems unlikely to play 90 mins.
1 is out of favour (granted not for long),
1 is in favour but appears to be out of form.
&
Knockaert.

So far every time a winger, thinking of Murphy here, has played more centrally they have been toothless.

The yoof, to date haven't been deemed good enough for the bench.
I seem to remember they didn't even play in the last yoof game.

No matter what way you cut it, this squad is 2 strikers short of being competitive.
Ideally #5 would be one of the kids.

If NB is the only striker left, then he ought to be signed, assuming he's available for a reasonable sum.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sometimes I just don't get whether you're doing irony, but I'll work on the assumption that you're being serious in this post, and directly quote John McEnroe: 'You cannot be serious'.
We have four strikers. Of those, two are proven goalscorers at this level, if somewhat similar in style, perhaps incompatible to play alongside one another. A third is a proven performer at this level with numerous positive attributes, if poor at goalscoring and now seemingly woeful at getting into the position to score. A fourth remains -- and I'll rarely quote Naylor here -- enigmatic.
Given all this, CH might have to change his system/formation (he's already played several since his been here) in the next c20 games before the transfer window re-opens. I think this is the most likely alternative in the eventuality of injuries, loss/non-improvement of form, etc, especially given by common consent we have good quality in wide players. I see little reason why March, Knockaert or Murphy can't play in a withdrawn striker role, ACM, number 10, call it what you will. I actually find the prospect of March and Knockaert playing together devastating, especially if they're granted more flexibility. Alternatively, CH might bring through a youngster to give them a chance (Harper, Hambo).

Great post. We are not short of striking options. We are short of bringing in a second 20 goal a season striker and I know that (at least at one point) we'd have liked to.

Bringing in Bendtner as the "best of a bad bunch" seems ludicrous given that we can so easily tinker with what we have. Wages saved can be used on a truly quality player in Jan if we're still in the promotion hunt, which I fully expect we will be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If NB is the only striker left, then he ought to be signed, assuming he's available for a reasonable sum.

Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. You don't sign a striker because "he's the only one left" - what kind of transfer policy is that ??

Its no secret we're a striker short and looking very light if any of our current crop get crocked. But Bendtnor has all the mobility of a washing machine, we already have two strikers in that mould so he would being nothing new to the squad. Not to mention his stinking attitude at Wolsfburg which has seen him binned off in the first place.

What a terrible idea. And writing off ALL of our wingers bar Knockaert ? Come on. Even the most pessimistic of fans can't believe they're all going to be junk this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. You don't sign a striker because "he's the only one left" - what kind of transfer policy is that ??

Its no secret we're a striker short and looking very light if any of our current crop get crocked. But Bendtnor has all the mobility of a washing machine, we already have two strikers in that mould so he would being nothing new to the squad. Not to mention his stinking attitude at Wolsfburg which has seen him binned off in the first place.

What a terrible idea. And writing off ALL of our wingers bar Knockaert ? Come on. Even the most pessimistic of fans can't believe they're all going to be junk this season.

Almost as ridiculous as a policy that leaves only 3 first team strikers.

I've realised I'm coming across as Team Bendtner - I need to stop that right now.

That couldn't be further from the truth, there's no way he should be anywhere near this club.

Having him even mentioned shows just how poor the recruitment was this Summer.
The ultimate 'you just had 1 job to do' - not that I believe this is down to the player recruitment team, far from it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
4 strikers?
Shouldn't that be 3 + the one CH has been desperate to off load for 6 months.

Of our 5 wingers:-
1 is injured.
1 seems unlikely to play 90 mins.
1 is out of favour (granted not for long),
1 is in favour but appears to be out of form.
&
Knockaert.

So far every time a winger, thinking of Murphy here, has played more centrally they have been toothless.

The yoof, to date haven't been deemed good enough for the bench.
I seem to remember they didn't even play in the last yoof game.

No matter what way you cut it, this squad is 2 strikers short of being competitive.
Ideally #5 would be one of the kids.

I do mean four strikers. The fourth has scored regularly in European football, and is working on a goal per game ratio this season for us. He's very different in style to the other three we have. If he's thrown in, it might happen which, granted, is a less categorical statement than yours.
I don't want Bendtner because:
-- he's past it ...
-- ... and has scored a few goals in the last five seasons
-- he's a prima donna
-- he's too similar in style to two of the four strikers we have (apart from his ego, work rate, recent goalscoring)
-- in your own terms, he's part of a bad bunch.
I'd much rather go with the option suggested by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], i.e. to keep our powder dry until January or even target one that's part of a good bunch and is currently available (Sessegnon's in a particularly good bargaining position on this front). It seems that CH, TB and PW also go along with this view, and their track record has been pretty good.
--

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Almost as ridiculous as a policy that leaves only 3 first team strikers.

I've realised I'm coming across as Team Bendtner - I need to stop that right now.

That couldn't be further from the truth, there's no way he should be anywhere near this club.

Having him even mentioned shows just how poor the recruitment was this Summer.
The ultimate 'you just had 1 job to do' - not that I believe this is down to the player recruitment team, far from it.

Signing Bendtner would be like getting to 2am in Oriana's and going home with the ugliest BIFFER left on the dancefloor, after all the decent sluttage has been bagged. OK, we've all been there. Except you're not just lumbered with it just for the night - oh no. You've got it on your arm for the next 9 months while it eats you out of house and home. And all your mates are laughing at you as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Signing Bendtner would be like getting to 2am in Oriana's and going home with the ugliest BIFFER left on the dancefloor, after all the decent sluttage has been bagged. OK, we've all been there. Except you're not just lumbered with it just for the night - oh no. You've got it on your arm for the next 9 months while it eats you out of house and home. And all your mates are laughing at you as well.
Hmmmm it seems you know me too well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know how to interpret this.

Simply that someone who should know told me at the end of last season - around REMF game time - that it was our intention to sign two strikers who fitted that description before the window closed.

That was late May. Since then our attentions seem to have turned to a number 10 type player, hence Prichard, who may or may not get 20 goals for Norwich. But AFAIK we were only the Norwich gazumping away from completing our intended business, and because it fell through we then had less time to land a replacement.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We could also try playing Baldock as a number 9 fox-in-the-box type rather than have him on the wing 'Hyypia style' or 'doing the running creating space & assists' for his partner as he did last year. He played that position with JET as his foil for Bristol City and got 24 goals a few years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do mean four strikers. The fourth has scored regularly in European football, and is working on a goal per game ratio this season for us. He's very different in style to the other three we have. If he's thrown in, it might happen which, granted, is a less categorical statement than yours.
I don't want Bendtner because:
-- he's past it ...
-- ... and has scored a few goals in the last five seasons
-- he's a prima donna
-- he's too similar in style to two of the four strikers we have (apart from his ego, work rate, recent goalscoring)
-- in your own terms, he's part of a bad bunch.
I'd much rather go with the option suggested by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], i.e. to keep our powder dry until January or even target one that's part of a good bunch and is currently available (Sessegnon's in a particularly good bargaining position on this front). It seems that CH, TB and PW also go along with this view, and their track record has been pretty good.
--
I do agree, I'd be saying exactly the same but for the following reasons:-.

I have no confidence in our current squad producing a #10.
I have minimal confidence I our only #10.
And I'd be amazed if H&M manage through to January injury free.
We already know SB won't.

I have no idea where others get their belief from.

I hope I'm wrong, I'll be so happy if this is bounced 12.12.16, and i look an even bigger plum than usual.
I can't wait to say how wrong I am.

But I can't help thinking I'll be saying 'see I told you we needed another body'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may sound desperate but any proven striker able to do 25 - 30 mins would be an improvement on what we have available for Saturday and also possibly other gamesll as the season progresses up to January

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I was frustrated we didn't bag a striker in this window. But we do have 4 strikers at the club + a lot of players who could quite happily play a number 10 role. I think this is a great opportunity for Elvis to get a run in the team and hopefully score a few goals for us. He has to be motivated. He has scored goals for PSV and played in the Europa league. I think we will see a big year from Elvis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here