Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
One final long run this weekend. Looking for a minimum of 17 anything extra will be a bonus.

I'm going to be somewhere between 3:15-3:20 based on training runs. Would like to break 3:15 so that's the aim but will be tough as I've lost focus after the Brighton Half. Need to tough out the final few miles of my last long run to give myself confidence for the 17th.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If all goes well - no injuries or illness - and my fitness is what I'm told it is by coach, than I should be very close to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] . Sub 4 is very much the aim but my target pace has me looking at 3.45. We'll see. Like [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I just want to wrap myself in cotton wool and very much wish it was this weekend! Taper has started for me and will be "only" doing 10 miles on Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If all goes well - no injuries or illness - and my fitness is what I'm told it is by coach, than I should be very close to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] . Sub 4 is very much the aim but my target pace has me looking at 3.45. We'll see. Like [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I just want to wrap myself in cotton wool and very much wish it was this weekend! Taper has started for me and will be "only" doing 10 miles on Sunday.

You can stick with me and a few others on the 3:45 train if you like, GB. The more the merrier to help us all over the line in the best time possible.

Whatever happens, your training and running improvement has been excellent – I've really enjoyed following your progress and not recognising you while on those long runs ;)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

I hope to be around your pace. Sub 4 is my main aim but I hope to pace for around 3:45.
Looks like there will be a few NSC runners around that time, hopefully we can keep the pace together.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Having had a particularly cr*p run today I'm not sure I could face a marathon even if I was entered - heavy legs and I overheated a bit, so had to walk a couple of short stretches. Just thinking about the mileage you marathon boys are putting in at the moment makes me feel tired!

I'm actually running the 10k at Clandon Park the day before Brighton, but I don't feel at all recovered from the Surrey Half yet, so am not expecting anything much. Need to get back into my stretching and foam rolling routine.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've not run since 18 miles on Sunday, haven't felt recovered enough, cumulative with the 20 miles weekend before. Plan is 4 miles tomorrow to get my legs going again, 6 on Saturday, 16 on Sunday.

I feel good fitness wise for 3.45 just hoping the mileage hasn't taken a bit tole on my legs.

Unfortunately all this running has meant completely divebombing my swim fitness. I can't go more than a 200 m without feeling the burn in my shoulders, going to have to get back to that after the marathon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having had a particularly cr*p run today I'm not sure I could face a marathon even if I was entered - heavy legs and I overheated a bit, so had to walk a couple of short stretches. Just thinking about the mileage you marathon boys are putting in at the moment makes me feel tired!

I'm actually running the 10k at Clandon Park the day before Brighton, but I don't feel at all recovered from the Surrey Half yet, so am not expecting anything much. Need to get back into my stretching and foam rolling routine.

It's all relative, I guess. Once you get up to a certain level (or length of run) you don't think much of it – or at least I don't. This morning's run didn't feel like 10 miles, whereas to some people, that would be more than they would do in a week.

In the same way, I'm in awe of these track dudes who do sprint sessions a few times a week. Even playing a bit of football gets me knackered after a few minutes!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Thinking of starting an Official Running Injury Thread. The last 3 months have really got me down :(

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thinking of starting an Official Running Injury Thread. The last 3 months have really got me down :(

Sympathy is extended. When I've been injured in the past, I've not been able to even look at random joggers without a searing sense of envy! If you are keeping in touch with this thread it shows more emotional intelligence than I could muster in the circumstances. On the plus side, a lot of the guys will pass on good injury management tips. We've all been there.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I'm with you there pal. Not run since the first week of Feb. My training for the Brighton half was going really well, and I was getting Parkrun PBs on successive weeks, and then my ankle/lower shin went. Still too painful to run - had various conflicting diagnoses from physio and doctor, including stress fracture of lower fibula and something called compartment syndrome. Either way, like you I am so frustrated not to be out running as the spring arrives.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
The taper I guess should have started this week but I feel I need one last long run, maybe 18 on Friday! Then I will slow it down with a few short plods next week and then next to nothing going into the final week!

Like many on here I am hoping to stay with the 3:45 man and see how I feel at 20 miles! I'd love to break 3:40 but previous PB a few years ago was a fraction under 4 hours so maybe a tall ask!!

Really looking forward to this one, just hope the weather is kind again!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ahhh, injuries. Anyone who runs much, unless they are very lucky, will get them, it's only the type, frequency and severity that's uncertain. After a couple of late-Autumn minor niggles, was going well since Christmas, but after bombing (for me at least) round the Stinger marathon last month, I picked up a minor calf strain a week later doing a modest plod on the road (ffs). As this healed, the OTHER calf went, doubling my rehab time at least. As I sit here they both feel rank. All my immediate plans are knackered, at least up to the SDW50 which I won't now be able to do, and my recovery run at Brighton the week after must be doubtful as well, let alone the SDW100 in June. Arse.

Apart from needing to do something drastic about these repetitive strains (I reckon I miss 6/8 weeks a year at least), I'd say :
-be philosophical. Running 9-10 months a year is better than not running
-cross training makes a massive difference to fitness maintenance. I had 6 months out with osteitis in 2014, but by replicating running sessions on an elliptical trainer, and doing a long bike ride once a week, I did a 28 mile race after 6 weeks back (slowly, yes, but ok)
-get professional help. Sports physios are actually very good. Early diagnosis and the right treatment speeds recovery time up hugely
-don't overdo the comeback and risk a big setback. Gentle at first with gradual load increase
-if you have anything minor that feels like it's worsening, stop and rest it. Three days out now or three months later, my coach says.
-if you enter lots of events in advance, accept you'll end up not doing a % of them
-volunteer at events. Not as good as running but nice to be involved
-try not to growl and snarl at people who are running, especially now the weather is getting better.......the jammy *******s.........

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Injuries seem pretty high here, does anyone pick up a bit of yoga for running off days? Or cross-train/swim?

I have a stretch routine in the morning on days I'm not running and swim (only once a week at the moment) and have never felt close to a muscle injury. My left shin isn't feeling great at the moment from over training but I'm just going to manage that pain until the marathon.

I'd really recommend picking up some deep stretches and working in a bit of cross training.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can stick with me and a few others on the 3:45 train if you like, GB. The more the merrier to help us all over the line in the best time possible.

Whatever happens, your training and running improvement has been excellent – I've really enjoyed following your progress and not recognising you while on those long runs ;)

I hope to be around your pace. Sub 4 is my main aim but I hope to pace for around 3:45.
Looks like there will be a few NSC runners around that time, hopefully we can keep the pace together.

Sounds like we need an NSC meet up pre race. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] is looking at sub 4 and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] may well challenge us to a sprint finish too. Let's post a meet up place/time here the week before the race but happy to pace with you guys for as long as I can hack it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree with all [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] comments and wish you speedy recovery. In particular I am a great believer in the slow paced warm up, cool down, recovery run and long run. The other area is stretching. Any problem areas can be spotted in advance, if flexibility is not 100%. Particularly ITB issues and the Achilles. I never run on tight muscles.
Cheers Dazzer for the thigh stretch. It released the thighs for a 20 miler. Side quad then went after 10 but did not stop me running. Sore for 2 days. Jesus booked up (with Marathon hopefuls no doubt) so worked on it myself. Got into your stretch again and could really work around the quads in that position. Moving stomach in, shoulders back and hips forward really gets in there. I reckon you've knocked a good couple of minutes of my finish time!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sounds like we need an NSC meet up pre race. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] is looking at sub 4 and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] may well challenge us to a sprint finish too. Let's post a meet up place/time here the week before the race but happy to pace with you guys for as long as I can hack it.

Looks like 3:45 is the fashionable time for this year! I think there are seven NSC runners all looking at this as their target time. Would be great if you ran together, strength in numbers will help massively in the final 10k.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Looks like 3:45 is the fashionable time for this year! I think there are seven NSC runners all looking at this as their target time. Would be great if you ran together, strength in numbers will help massively in the final 10k.

Admittedly this is my aim on the quiet. We could form an nsc ar$e cheeks pod alternating man on point, I'm sure it would pull us all along and keep up the momentum. Of course all collaboration would end 1 mile to the end when it reverts to every man for himself. I will be foaming at the mouth by then and best given a wide berth

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sprint finish! In the last 3 Brighton Marathons I have had one sprint finish and two finishes that involved a lot of walking from Hove Lagoon to the finish. In any run up to 20 miles I can pace it for a fast finish. The marathon is different. Get the pace 10 seconds out and I'm screwed. Only as I run into Ovingdean will I know if it is likely to be a pb or a nightmare.
Hopefully the form from Hastings will continue. It will be good to have a crew around for encouragement. Maybe we should take a stretcher?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here