Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Michael dead

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon a few more posts with nobody replying would have been enough for it to give up.

You just gave it oxygen.

Dr No is funnier.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Those guilty feet are never gonna dance again.R.I.P.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Back in the early mid Eighties i got a (my first) single tape deck player for Christmas or a Birthday and one of the very first things i listened to was Club Tropicana,i may have been about 12 at the time,i never evolved into a Wham fan as it was not really my thing,however the track was among my first recollected musical experiences of my own as the tape deck was mine..

George obviously has a place in many hearts so to speak and music has that eternal power of capturing a moment in time,it all really goes to show just how short a time we all may have here and he died at no age really,no age at all..

Thanks for the memories,your music has at least given me a memory for ever of that period of my childhood.

RIP George.

Remember seeing Wham in concert at the Brighton Centre, nearly deafened by all the girlie screams after GM & AR had shoved shuttlecocks down their shorts and flung into crowds.
Amazing stuff :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Remember seeing Wham in concert at the Brighton Centre, nearly deafened by all the girlie screams after GM & AR had shoved shuttlecocks down their shorts and flung into crowds.
Amazing stuff :)

You survived to tell the tale too..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You survived to tell the tale too..

One of the first live music concerts I ever went to.
Gotta start somewhere, experience the atmosphere, whoever the act.
Even when I saw 4 Non Blondes in Dusseldorf, there was a lot of leather cladded German ladies the the front of stage, no room for manoeuvre!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Back in the early mid Eighties i got a (my first) single tape deck player for Christmas or a Birthday and one of the very first things i listened to was Club Tropicana,i may have been about 12 at the time,i never evolved into a Wham fan as it was not really my thing,however the track was among my first recollected musical experiences of my own as the tape deck was mine..

George obviously has a place in many hearts so to speak and music has that eternal power of capturing a moment in time,it all really goes to show just how short a time we all may have here and he died at no age really,no age at all..

Thanks for the memories,your music has at least given me a memory for ever of that period of my childhood.

RIP George.

At the time I was not a Wham fan at all, however I have recently added their greatest hits to my iPod and Club Tropicana video is one of my all time favourites. That is a proper summer song up their with most of what the Beach Boys did as Summer feel good music and the filming in Ibiza makes it perfect IMO.

The 6 minute remixed version of Last Christmas is my grand kids favourite Christmas song too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dr No is funnier.
It's great how an idea can go from funny to shitehouse in one move.

Hopefully the poster currently known Your Mum will, next Christmas, ask for an original thought.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One of the first live music concerts I ever went to.
Gotta start somewhere, experience the atmosphere, whoever the act.
Even when I saw 4 Non Blondes in Dusseldorf, there was a lot of leather cladded German ladies the the front of stage, no room for manoeuvre!

Your mum?

Your mum?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought AIDS was treatable now a days

Did he have HIV ? If you know nothing of this then keep wise your counsel. It's not a joke.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Let's be honest it will have all crossed our minds somebody of that age and lifestyle. I may be very naive but I thought that being hiv (which he may not have been) was not life threatening anymore ?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I liked some of his music, especially the later Wham tunes and then around Faith although wasn't too keen on much of his music thereafter and a very low point was that abysmal cover of New Order's True Faith but what's been a really pleasant surprise today has been lots of anecdotes about his generosity and that despite his problems he seemed to be an all-round nice guy.

His music is clearly a huge legacy but the greatest must be being remembered as a lovely bloke. Fair play to him.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Many fond memories of Wham hits while I was growing up but I don't believe in automatic reverence or appreciation for latest dead x celeb.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Many fond memories of Wham hits while I was growing up but I don't believe in automatic reverence or appreciation for latest dead x celeb.

With the boys that I meet "down on the line"
I said, I - don't - need - you
So you don't approve,
Well who asked you to?
Hey - jerk - you - work
This boy's got better things to do.

I've only done a couple of years work since being motivated by this. Hey ****, you work, I've got better things to do. Thanks George.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
With the boys that I meet "down on the line"
I said, I - don't - need - you
So you don't approve,
Well who asked you to?
Hey - jerk - you - work
This boy's got better things to do.

I've only done a couple of years work since being motivated by this. Hey ****, you work, I've got better things to do. Thanks George.

I'm glad this particular celeb had a significant influence on your life. My point was a sort of enforced/automatic reverence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm glad this particular celeb had a significant influence on your life. My point was a sort of enforced/automatic reverence.

Are people being forced to revere him? Seems to me people are simply acknowledging his rather exceptional career and legacy at a rather appropriate time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I liked some of his music, especially the later Wham tunes and then around Faith although wasn't too keen on much of his music thereafter and a very low point was that abysmal cover of New Order's True Faith but what's been a really pleasant surprise today has been lots of anecdotes about his generosity and that despite his problems he seemed to be an all-round nice guy.

His music is clearly a huge legacy but the greatest must be being remembered as a lovely bloke. Fair play to him.

Quite. No my very favouritist cup of tea, poptastically, but a talent nevertheless and, as noted above, there are many anecdotes appearing about his anonymous generosity. RIP.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Fair enough. Early 80's inner London for a Hove student teenager was almost free housing, DHSS as George sang, tax free work, student grant, partying and a WEMBLEY cup final.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Are people being forced to revere him? Seems to me people are simply acknowledging his rather exceptional career and legacy at a rather appropriate time.

Fair point HT. It was more the previous condemnation of those with a different opinion. The thread title was reporting the sad news. If it had been a commemoration/appreciation thread then yes I would see how the comments were deemed insensitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here