Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murrays on fire, your defence is terrified !

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Christ. It got the North Stand bouncing and rocking didn't it? Using NSC logic, we best stop singing songs to the tune of Go West or Sloop John B then, which is er, all of them. Even the Amex's favourite son "Waaailllbi-yawn" was nicked from Liverpool.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Christ. It got the North Stand bouncing and rocking didn't it? Using NSC logic, we best stop singing songs to the tune of Go West or Sloop John B then, which is er, all of them. Even the Amex's favourite son "Waaailllbi-yawn" was nicked from Liverpool.

Spot on. We are so precious when it comes to singing. People would actually rather sit in silence than join in, then come on here and moan about the lack of atmosphere at games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at least it will make Burton Albion fans feel welcome.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Think many are missing the point with this one. Will Grigg's on fire is different in the sense it is very much, "WILL GRIGG's on fire". It is Wigan/Northern Ireland's song, it is his song. Stealing it is embarrassing, and not the same as taking another club's song and reappropriating it for our player, e.g we've got Knockaert...
Because this song took of in a huge way, everyone knows it as his, and Vardy's on fire got its deserving cringe reaction as theft and laziness at the Euros.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Funny isn't it, people only cringe with embarrassment at the songs sung at home games. When we go away, have a good old sing along we get none of this.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Think many are missing the point with this one. Will Grigg's on fire is different in the sense it is very much, "WILL GRIGG's on fire". It is Wigan/Northern Ireland's song, it is his song. Stealing it is embarrassing, and not the same as taking another club's song and reappropriating it for our player, e.g we've got Knockaert...
Because this song took of in a huge way, everyone knows it as his, and Vardy's on fire got its deserving cringe reaction as theft and laziness at the Euros.

It's a football song. You don't need to overthink the situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Think many are missing the point with this one. Will Grigg's on fire is different in the sense it is very much, "WILL GRIGG's on fire". It is Wigan/Northern Ireland's song, it is his song.

Not seeing how it's any different, sorry. Just subsititue a different name in there as per all other player specific songs. Also didn't realise Wigan had fans, you live and learn.

I don't like it myself but if it gets going then fair play, couldn't care less as long as we're making noise. The origination of songs is usually one of the more cringeworthy debates.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The annoying thing is I posted a thread last season about getting it going for Hemed just before he scored a hat trick.

A few of us in the WSU tried to get it going but we were just looked at like a bunch of nobs. Queue Murray and all the mongs were joining in now its a well known and established song for one player. Oh well. My opinion is it doesnt Work for Murray and there are much better songs that can be created for him.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The annoying thing is I posted a thread last season about getting it going for Hemed just before he scored a hat trick.

A few of us in the WSU tried to get it going but we were just looked at like a bunch of nobs. Queue Murray and all the mongs were joining in now its a well known and established song for one player. Oh well. My opinion is it doesnt Work for Murray and there are much better songs that can be created for him.

Muzza's on fire? :whistle:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This thread is funny. I didn't realise singing a song at football made so many people blush.
We all know it's not original. We all know Newcastle actually started it. We all know Wigan stole it and it was sung At the Euros. At the end of the day all decent songs at football get adapted for your own club. This is no different.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Ah well if I'm a 'mong' for celebrating a 3-0 win and our player scoring 2 goals, so be it. Happy to join in most songs if they get the supporters up and dont hurt anyone.

Wouldn't have been mongs if it was your song though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here