Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perks and freebies

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No other 'perks', except for a 40% discount on the company's luxury brand products, should I desire any more watches (I don't). This perk could be pretty beneficial if not for the VERY strict rule about such purchases being for employee and immediate family only.

Out of interest how do they police that, do you have to sign some form claiming it is immediate family ?

Also, is the 40% discounted value taxable as a benefit in kind ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of interest how do they police that, do you have to sign some form claiming it is immediate family ?

Also, is the 40% discounted value taxable as a benefit in kind ?

Not taxable so far as I know. Yes - on the staff purchase form, you do have to state who its for. It's only really police-able so far as, nobody is going to want to own a £5000 watch and not get it serviced. The only place to get it properly serviced is through the company, so if the warranty / ownership details didn't tally up to who I said I'd bought it for, it could come back to bite me.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
tickets to sporting events - been to Wimbledon and Aegon Tennis in Birmingham last year and went to see England v Australia cricket down at the Rose Bowl in September.

Also meeting Jess Ennis next week:wave:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No freebies, but some decent perks.

Very nice company car, share options, performance related bonus, BUPA for myself and family, final salary pension, tax-efficient nursery / childcare vouchers and travel to some of the most interesting places in the world (but obviously I have to work when I get there).

In return, I genuinely work my nuts off and go above an beyond what is expected of me at every opportunity. You get out what you put in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No freebies, but some decent perks.

Very nice company car, share options, performance related bonus, BUPA for myself and family, final salary pension, tax-efficient nursery / childcare vouchers and travel to some of the most interesting places in the world (but obviously I have to work when I get there).

In return, I genuinely work my nuts off and go above an beyond what is expected of me at every opportunity. You get out what you put in.

This is very nice I'm sure; but not very interesting.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is very nice I'm sure; but not very interesting.

Like most things, it depends on your priorities, I guess.

I'm at a point in my life when my priority is to provide for my children and give them better opportunities then I had. I've had my chances and made the best of them that I could. I hope when my two have families of their own that they will work to give their children better experiences and opportunities than I was able to give them.

"Not very interesting" is part of being a middle-aged Dad. But being interesting is no longer what motivates me, HT.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I get to do some of the music conferences. This year it's Miami for 5 days at the end of March and Amsterdam in October. Also not sure if anyone is aware that Brighton has its first dance music conference in April. ButI'm looking forward to Miami more! ;-)

http://www.brightonmusicconference.co.uk/

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Not taxable so far as I know. Yes - on the staff purchase form, you do have to state who its for. It's only really police-able so far as, nobody is going to want to own a £5000 watch and not get it serviced. The only place to get it properly serviced is through the company, so if the warranty / ownership details didn't tally up to who I said I'd bought it for, it could come back to bite me.

You could be a very interesting person to know.... (Soft spot for watches).
I understand if you couldn't state publicly who you work for but It would be good to have a contact.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None.

Well, we were trying to cut down some trees that had fallen across a road during the pre-Christmas storms, and having spent a couple of hours working away on one particular road, some very nice local lady came up to us to say how grateful she was for our efforts and tried to give us a box of liquorice allsorts by way of a token thank-you. I declined several times until it became apparent she would take great offence if I didn't accept them on behalf of us all.

That being the case, we then had to take them back to the batcave and enter them into the gratuities register at work, so that the powers that be could assess it and decide whether she was trying to exert undue influence on us or extract favours. After a fortnight or so, the email came back confirming that the aforementioned gift was deemed acceptable, and we could eat them if we wanted.

I hate liquorice, so I didn't.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I get to do some of the music conferences. This year it's Miami for 5 days at the end of March and Amsterdam in October. Also not sure if anyone is aware that Brighton has its first dance music conference in April. ButI'm looking forward to Miami more! ;-)

http://www.brightonmusicconference.co.uk/

always wanted to do Miami WMC, just looks incredible! had a look this year but hotels(and even hostels) are so pricey

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
always wanted to do Miami WMC, just looks incredible! had a look this year but hotels(and even hostels) are so pricey

Its our first one. Usually stick to the ones closer to home but we've got a government grant to go this year which I guess is another perk. :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
None.

Well, we were trying to cut down some trees that had fallen across a road during the pre-Christmas storms, and having spent a couple of hours working away on one particular road, some very nice local lady came up to us to say how grateful she was for our efforts and tried to give us a box of liquorice allsorts by way of a token thank-you. I declined several times until it became apparent she would take great offence if I didn't accept them on behalf of us all.

That being the case, we then had to take them back to the batcave and enter them into the gratuities register at work, so that the powers that be could assess it and decide whether she was trying to exert undue influence on us or extract favours. After a fortnight or so, the email came back confirming that the aforementioned gift was deemed acceptable, and we could eat them if we wanted.

When I worked in the emergency services, MOP would often give us tokens of their appreciation - usually cans or bottles of booze after a chinmey fire or similar, or they'd pop down the station in the weeks following a more serious incident and give us a crate of something refreshing, which typically would be accepted in the spirit in which it was offered, tucked away then div'ied up and taken home.

A senior officer was down the station one day and whilst looking for a plate or something in a cupboard discovered a six pack of lager that had lain forgotten for some weeks. Naturally he went ****ing mental as alcohol on station is strictly forbidden and gave us 60 seconds to get it down the drain.

We got our own back though as he'd left his fire kit in the appliance bay and before he left one of the crew got one of those corkscrew / bottle-opener combi things out of the kitchen drawer and attached it to the radio loop on his tunic.

Happy days.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
None.

Good pension though (which you do have to contribute to), and early pension age as well. Must rank alongside some of the best perks ever, enjoyed by some supermarket staff, discount off the food bill, priceless!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good pension though (which you do have to contribute to), and early pension age as well. Must rank alongside some of the best perks ever, enjoyed by some supermarket staff, discount off the food bill, priceless!

The pension age is being increased though, and the terms are being changed, so it's hardly the gold plated pension of popular myth. I pay about 13% currently, to rise to 14%. Most current police officers (and firefighters etc) will never retire at 55. Not saying it's entirely bad, but it's nowhere near as tidy as some would have you believe.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

A pension is part of the overall remuneration package though so it's not really a perk.
A mate of mine is a retired senior fire service officer and he reckons that firefighters (and I presume police officers) accept a more modest wage in return for a generous pension.
There's also the practical element, can you imagine a 60 year old copper with dodgy knees giving chase to a teenage herbert ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here