Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If meat eaters acted like vegans....

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've a good friend who is vegan.
We bonded over vegetarians being pathetic whereas at least our positions had logical consistency.
The few veggies who just don't like meat (weirdos) excepted.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When did I say we aren't omnivores? I don't understand your point - our canine teeth btw are pathetic

Thats because weve evolved to bash animals brains out with rocks rather than rip their throats out with our teeth.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lentils have more protein per 100g than beef does.

lentils is about 20% protein and beef about 50%. and im much fonder of 100g of tasty beef :drool: than eat 250g of lentils :sick: to get ~50g a day. not all protiens are equal, you get higher structure proteins from meat that you can break down, while you need to eat more weight to make the higher ones, and theres ones we cant make ourself. i do completly accept we eat too much meat, but nutritionally its simply more efficient.

i thnk you for the link though, shows the gallons per ton of prodcue differs widely, and the gallon/lb is about 850, not 2500.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
oh, and how the vegans getting along with the new £10 notes :timmy:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The invention of early humans cooking meat meant that we didn't need as much guts to process food, and allowed the body to use the extra calories in making a bigger brain. Also by having a bigger brain meant that they could use tools to bring down prey so teeth did not have to be like a large cat.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

:facepalm: quite right, i mis-read my source, which was 100g beef has 50% of protein RDA, lentils has 20% so still less. you could have used soya card, but the top trump is the refined milky goodness of whey so veganism loses. lamb wins on flavour, damn a bit of fat (low carb diets are the rage right) and they are usually non-intensivly farmed on marginal land thats no good for crops (as is alot of cow in the UK and europe)

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
:facepalm: quite right, i mis-read my source, which was 100g beef has 50% of protein RDA, lentils has 20% so still less. you could have used soya card, but the top trump is the refined milky goodness of whey so veganism loses. lamb wins on flavour, damn a bit of fat (low carb diets are the rage right) and they are usually non-intensivly farmed on marginal land thats no good for crops (as is alot of cow in the UK and europe)

I could have used ground seaweed powder, but it's not a competition (and I suspect it's not as tasty as lamb). I'm just countering that getting protein (and iron, and calcium, etc) is not a big deal. I only know one other vegan so it's a small sample, but none of us sit around shovelling massive amounts of tofu into our face to try and stop our muscles atrophying.

If you are trying to consume protein for muscle gain you don't just eat steaks anyway, you drink horrid shakes and egg whites :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's that meat eaters always tell me vegans are like this because otherwise I probably wouldn't have realised. Grrr bloody vegans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair, the one vegan in my social circle (that I know of anyway), is a thoroughly fine and upstanding sort, and not at all sanctimonious about the rest of us carnivores, nor is he somebody who glares disapprovingly at my food when I eat it. Equally, for my part, I wouldn't ever start wafting a rare steak right in his face and knocking his personal viewpoint on the matter :)

I find that most are, it is just a delicious stereotype to bang on about vegans banging on about being vegans. People's bias is satisfied by the vegans they meet who tell them they are vegans but those they meet that do not tell them are ignored. Such stereotypes are always based in truth but rarely stand up to close scrutiny.

Still funny though, those vegans eh? with their always telling you about it :rotlf: Just like football fans....... How do you know someone is a football fan? ...... Don't worry they'll tell you.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What's natural about it? If it was natural then it wouldn't be harmful to us (processed meat meat causes cancer and red meat probably does). We have absolutely no instincts to kill animals/eat them. Put a toddler in a room with an apple and a rabbit and let me know when the toddler is eating the rabbit and playing with the apple. You don't salivate when you see animals, no one does

We are omnivores, end of. I see a pig, I think delicious bacon.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I lived and worked on a farm for years and have done the journey from paddock to plate. My problem is that this process has given me a somewhat idyllic view of eating meat as our livestock were free range and cared for well. I have also seen feed lots and intensive farming which i find abhorrent. I don't see why animals should suffer all their lives just so we can eat them when at the sales I used to refuse to sell our calves as vealers as that process is a step to far for me. I keep this in mind when purchasing and consuming meat although to be fair i should do more. My next step is to introduce vegetarian meals into the house two nights a week (currently we are one). I know people will tell me to just go the full way but with young and fussy kids we are taking it one step at a time.

Each to their own and all that and respect to all the veggies and vegans out there. The world would undobtably be a better place if we all ate less meat...... especially when it is intensively farmed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You can't get your head around why people are against animal abuse? Animal products aren't healthy, animal agriculture is detrimental to the planet and we use so much land/resources for it. As for the eggs, I wouldn't eat them because they're not mine and they can be useful for the chickens but that's not on the top of our list. The meat/dairy/egg/fur/leather industry is

I said I couldn't get my head around veganism not animal abuse. Chickens rarely use their eggs for anything - very occasionally they eat them, twice in four years in the case of my chickens. In fact we found a stash of a dozen eggs in my greenhouse not so long ago where one of the chickens had found the perfect sunbathing spot hidden behind the plants - the chicken clearly didn't have any use for so many eggs. So, to state that some animals in the system are abused is true, and I for one don't agree with that abuse, but it is perfectly possible to source animal products that are not a result of abuse. I have to say, you seem like one of those preaching vegans, pretty much like vegans that some of the posts in this thread are taking the piss out of. Good on you for your choices but don't try preaching to those of us that don't wish to be vegan - all it makes us do is look in the fridge for the bacon and eggs for breakfast !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here