Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think it is FAIR to say I was right, just need this clown to get SACKED now

He couldn't EVEN do that right-he had to RESIGN so the humiliation was COMPLETE..

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Completely let down by his players tonight who seemed to revert to non-league levels of skill. He has significant responsibilities also though.

Not completely sure of that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Two games in a row where there have been 6 changes, seems like the players have had difficulty reacting to that, and not knowing how to play with each other.
At times tonight I felt we looked very very tired, with passes going astray, no movement off the ball, crap crosses and free-kicks, and we really did test the Icelandic goal-keeper that match at all!
Iceland are no mugs either. They've beaten Holland twice in the qualifiers, Italy and Spain, so we weren't up against part-timers, as we would have been 10 years ago.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not completely sure of that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Two games in a row where there have been 6 changes, seems like the players have had difficulty reacting to that, and not knowing how to play with each other.
At times tonight I felt we looked very very tired, with passes going astray, no movement off the ball, crap crosses and free-kicks, and we really did test the Icelandic goal-keeper that match at all!
Iceland are no mugs either. They've beaten Holland twice in the qualifiers, Italy and Spain, so we weren't up against part-timers, as we would have been 10 years ago.

Someone who can't even get in Cardiff's team made us look like mugs

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Someone who can't even get in Cardiff's team made us look like mugs

And don't forget the player relegated with Charlton [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] ???

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
As someone said, a confident manager would not have prepared his resignation statement.

It is not really resignation if one knows that he no longer has a job! They had said no new contract if no quarterfinal place.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We are a joke of a country. The whole world is laughing at us tonight.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
As someone said, a confident manager would not have prepared his resignation statement.

It is not really resignation if one knows that he no longer has a job! They had said no new contract if no quarterfinal place.

I saw Hodgson in a few pre match interviews along with Gary Cahill and some others, they all looked miserable and had the look of defeat about them before a ball was even kicked. What a bunch of utter pussies.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Still laughing at our 4-2-4 formation in the 90th min
Only 2 recognised midfielders left on pitch Wilshire & Alli(both attacking midfielders)
God knows what would have happened if we had scored a late goal and played 30 mins extra time
The whole night was an embarrassing shambles

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cheering myself up watching England rugby union team vs Wales.

When you look at the good work Eddie Jones has done I think the FA should get the best, most experienced foreign coach they can. Trevor Bayliss has also done a good job with the England cricket team.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that the England coach has to be English, it's about the team not the manager.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

When you look at the good work Eddie Jones has done I think the FA should get the best, most experienced foreign coach they can. Trevor Bayliss has also done a good job with the England cricket team.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that the England coach has to be English, it's about the team not the manager.

Been tried twice before and will never work-the gutter press would never allow it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I said similar earlier in the thread and got shot down by a certain someone who seemed overly keen to defend Hodgson and has now disappeared. Not only were we outfought last night, we were out-coached. Six changes, knackered players brought back in, Hart still there (second goal-costing mistake of the tournament) and finishing up with a 4-2-4. Yes the players let themselves and the nation down but they were coached in to submission. I'll say it again, Hodgson makes good players average.

A decent foreign coach would have that side whipped in to shape in no time and would hopefully stand up to some of the clubs when it comes to availability and fitness. Would that have happened under Klopp or Guardiola last night? No way.

Sadly, while there is a surfeit of decent foreign coaches in rubgy who see a national team as the ultimate challenge I can't see too many Germans or Italians lining up to manage England. We'll probably end up with someone just as bad and struggle to qualify for Russia, which will at least make that tournament easier for me to boycott.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I don't think it matters particularly until you have to beat a team that is of similar ability to yours or there is real pressure to win. Walking the qualifiers is one thing, winning in the knockout phase of a major tournament is another. We obviously should beat Iceland, Roy doesn't need to do anything smart there.

I gave him too much credit. Anyone who still wants to defend him please consider his pre-match comments about why he picked Sterling as being the key to beat this side and then the changes he made during the game. It might be an England manager disease as Hoddle aftertimed and contradicted his way through the second half punditry. I'll be honest, I am really not that bothered about England although I still really enjoy tournament football. I do, however, remember when I did (including travelling to support etc) and I know there will be loads of massively disappointed people this morning and they have my sympathy. The FA, on the other hand.....you reap what you sow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here