Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Picture from yesterday.

2fc9935887e6f5e81ddfe0ebefada735.jpg

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Am I right in saying if the last couple of days weather had been in a couple of months time instead - the fabled 'Thames Streamer' might have come into play?

Anyway, apologies for bouncing this - stand at ease.....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Am I right in saying if the last couple of days weather had been in a couple of months time instead - the fabled 'Thames Streamer' might have come into play?

Anyway, apologies for bouncing this - stand at ease.....

Yes, we actually did get a streamer, but it was rain. December 24th would have potentially given us snow showers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1st November, new season thread up and running. I fancy this could be the winter we have all been waiting for. A decent summer is often followed by a snowy winter. *

*yes I did just make it up, but if its good enough for the Daily Express...

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
IT’S A COMING...DEC 4th COULD BE A CHILLY NIGHT AT THE AMEX! It will snow before then and if it doesn’t I will slide tackle Wilfred myself!!! Forecast models all pointing to something brutal and no that’s not from express! Net weather forum...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
IT’S A COMING...DEC 4th COULD BE A CHILLY NIGHT AT THE AMEX! It will snow before then and if it doesn’t I will slide tackle Wilfred myself!!! Forecast models all pointing to something brutal and no that’s not from express! Net weather forum...

The models are pointing to a return to close to average temps early next week, and colder as a high pressure to our East moves north and drags in SE and then E winds. However, none of the output shows anything brutal. Yes, we may get days with temps 5C and overnight frosts, and there IS a snow chance (15% or so) in there, but it's not yet showing anything Express worthy, although that hasn't stopped Nathan Rao from getting on it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...w-November-2018-Winter-Met-Office-latest-cold

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
The models are pointing to a return to close to average temps early next week, and colder as a high pressure to our East moves north and drags in SE and then E winds. However, none of the output shows anything brutal. Yes, we may get days with temps 5C and overnight frosts, and there IS a snow chance (15% or so) in there, but it's not yet showing anything Express worthy, although that hasn't stopped Nathan Rao from getting on it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...w-November-2018-Winter-Met-Office-latest-cold

With all due respect Papa after shedding 5st this summer and sitting at the top of West Upper for 90 mins on a chilly Dec night it will feel brutal...if we beat the Nigel’s then I couldn’t give a Brass monkeys until I have to start queing for an hour at Falmer station. I do think that this could be the best winter since 76 though!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Was just saying the other day we haven't had a cold football match yet this season. Good to see one is on the horizon. Hopefully Wilf's legs will get stuck to the grass when he inevitably falls on it in the first minute.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Patience will be a requirement if your wanting it to snow, it'll get colder but it could be a while yet before it's cold enough for snow. Cold rain to get through first I should think.

However if the HP retrogrades to Greenland AND the PV relocates from Canada to Siberia THEN we can start thinking about snow! Long way off yet though ;o)

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Wow, impressive!

Thanks...16 weeks and 5st 6lb shed...hard slog but well worth it, I know a crash diet isn’t recommended but it worked for me...I’ve managed to go 3 months now since I finished my Diet now programme and stayed at 12.7st. Only trouble was I had to buy a whole new wardrobe! Up the Albion!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Patience will be a requirement if your wanting it to snow, it'll get colder but it could be a while yet before it's cold enough for snow. Cold rain to get through first I should think.

However if the HP retrogrades to Greenland AND the PV relocates from Canada to Siberia THEN we can start thinking about snow! Long way off yet though ;o)

Indeed. Too early for any serious snow.

I know we had some flurries on 30 November last year, but generally, we would need to wait January and February, if and when Siberian easterlies feed across the UK from a blocking High over Scandinavia (remember the glorious Beast from the East earlier this year).

At the moment, temperatures in Moscow are still mostly above freezing, so a strong easterly would not be especially cold; a tad chilly, maybe, but far short of sub-zero.

If a strong anti-cyclone becomes established over Scandinavia in January or February, either with troughs moving eastwards bringing frequent snow showers, or a stationary low pressure system over France pushes weather fronts towards the channel (but not any further north, otherwise slightly milder air would feed in behind them and bring rain) and dumps heavy snow over southern England - just as the Beast from the East did, when rain over France nudged northwards and turned to snow as it hit the biting-cold Easterlies - then we can rejoice.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Big Apple got hit with a snow storm at evening rush hour tonight - about 4" on the UES where I live and 6" in Central Park, quite a few tree branches in the roads. More forecast tonight. Winter is on the way

nyc snow.jpg

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The Big Apple got hit with a snow storm at evening rush hour tonight - about 4" on the UES where I live and 6" in Central Park, quite a few tree branches in the roads. More forecast tonight. Winter is on the way

View attachment 102120

Yeah I heard that the snow ploughs were not deployed as they didn't expect it to snow!
Yet I saw a few Mets over there predicting snow so not sure what went wrong! It's not often you see gridlock on loads of roads there with just a few inches of snow.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Yeah I heard that the snow ploughs were not deployed as they didn't expect it to snow!
Yet I saw a few Mets over there predicting snow so not sure what went wrong! It's not often you see gridlock on loads of roads there with just a few inches of snow.

The Mayor and Governor were getting a lot of flack today. Definitely unprepared for it - traffic gridlock with some people stuck in cars for 10 hours in the suburbs. Very embarrassing all round - you expect Heathrow to close when there is a light dusting of snow but New York is normally on top of it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Before anyone gets too excited we have had one of the mildest november's on record so far and next week all in reality that is going to happen is max temps will be back to around normal for the time of year instead of being 6 c above normal every day. Certainly no way cold enough for any sort of snow event

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

View attachment 102120

Is that an early snow fall for NY? Or is mid-late November normal for the first wintry blast? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here