Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Cat-calling

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No more compliments then, how sad.

hmmmmm , pretty much this .......it's no wonder men are necking themselves at an alarming rate , me ...?? i'm too smart to open my gob , you can't get slagged off for thinking and besides if you get talking to a member of the fairer sex you can soon tell if her personality lends itself to a swift bj behind burger king's skip.....and there are plenty of dirty old tarts out there , believe me.........on the downside women can use this "sexually inappropriate" bollox as a means to an end .....sometimes with devastating results .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"That's a great dress, it really shows off your curves".
Statement of fact. The dress was doubtless designed that way, for women to wear because it made them feel good. Probably why she bought it.

N.B. That does not mean it is an invitation to grope, rape or make lewd comments (none of which appears to have been the case here).

......................looked him up and down, and said to him "I love those trousers. They really show the shape of your dick".
Unacceptable. Unless said trousers were particularly tight, or he was walking around with a mammoth stiffy, it isn't true either, so clearly harassment. The opposite equivalent would be something like, " I love that dress - I love the way it clings to the mound of your c**t". That's a long, long way from what was said.

With attitudes like that in the workplace what hope is there ?
Exactly. If innocent remarks are called out as sexual harassment, how much harder it makes the battle against real sexual harassment (in the same way as inappropriate shouts of racism hinder the real fight against real racism).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Statement of fact. The dress was doubtless designed that way, for women to wear because it made them feel good. Probably why she bought it.

N.B. That does not mean it is an invitation to grope, rape or make lewd comments (none of which appears to have been the case here).

Unacceptable. Unless said trousers were particularly tight, or he was walking around with a mammoth stiffy, it isn't true either, so clearly harassment. The opposite equivalent would be something like, " I love that dress - I love the way it clings to the mound of your c**t". That's a long, long way from what was said.

Exactly. If innocent remarks are called out as sexual harassment, how much harder it makes the battle against real sexual harassment (in the same way as inappropriate shouts of racism hinder the real fight against real racism).

Westdene had it right. There was no reason, whatsoever, to refer to the colleagues curves or her figure. The dress was great, pretty, stylish etc. There is a line and the male colleague crossed it making the woman feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Westdene had it right. There was no reason, whatsoever, to refer to the colleagues curves or her figure. The dress was great, pretty, stylish etc. There is a line and the CEO crossed it making the woman feel uncomfortable.

Your opinion. Not mine.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes, the opinion of a woman, as opposed to a man.

How on earth do you think, you know how a woman thinks?
Not all women nor all men think the same. Blanket statements also do not help the real issues. You're giving fuel to the "it's all PC gone mad" morons.

I'm pretty sure that even my mum, who is totally feminist, left wing etc wouldn't think that the case mentioned was sexist. In fact I'm going to ask her.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The point being that the woman being commented on felt uncomfortable about it. Some of it comes down to common sense and how well you know the person you're commenting on. There's women in my office I know well enough to know if I could use a comment like that. If I don't know them well enough I wouldn't dream of commenting on their physical attributes. It's a workplace not a bar or a club.

As for the HR Director's comments to the CEO, it was a lesson in taking that sort of workplace behaviour seriously rather than being so dismissive.

Just for clarity following [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] 's post - it wasn't the CEO that used the phrase, it was another male employee.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I talk to women every day and don't feel the need to comment on their curves, breasts, backside, or what appendages I'd like to put in them.
I think 90% of the time women are spot on, blokes are absolute morons and make stupid comments because they think they're funny or flirtatious when in actual fact they're just plain insensitive or vulgar.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The point being that the woman being commented on felt uncomfortable about it. Some of it comes down to common sense and how well you know the person you're commenting on. There's women in my office I know well enough to know if I could use a comment like that. If I don't know them well enough I wouldn't dream of commenting on their physical attributes. It's a workplace not a bar or a club.

As for the HR Director's comments to the CEO, it was a lesson in taking that sort of workplace behaviour seriously rather than being so dismissive.

Just for clarity following [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] 's post - it wasn't the CEO that used the phrase, it was another male employee.

My apologies. Now edited, with credit to you.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Do you know what punishment was given to the offender?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not all women nor all men think the same. Blanket statements also do not help the real issues. You're giving fuel to the "it's all PC gone mad" morons.

I'm pretty sure that even my mum, who is totally feminist, left wing etc wouldn't think that the case mentioned was sexist. In fact I'm going to ask her.

I agree generalisations don't help. My post was specific to GT49.

I've been in the Navy, and heard every comment that can possibly come from men. I used to be really feisty, and tell some where to get off, others I ignored, because if you gave them the satisfaction of a retort, they did it all the more.
Unfortunately with senior rates, we just had to grin and bear it.

I think things have generally changed for the better, although now I'm older, it makes life a lot easier.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sadly it still exists in the workplace. A friend of mine is an HR Director and one of the women at her workplace complained when one of her male colleagues said "That's a great dress, it really shows off your curves.". My friend dealt with it but next board meeting, where all the directors except my friend are male, she was questioned why she upheld the complaint as all it was really was a 'compliment'. This was coming from the CEO. She did no more than asked the CEO to stand up, looked him up and down, and said to him "I love those trousers. They really show the shape of your dick". Strangely no more was said as the CEO sat down feeling very uncomfortable.

With attitudes like that at the very top of the workplace what hope is there ?

Sad times when a female employee feels it necessary to go to HR about such a remark, in my old fashioned and humble opinion.
Surely, if the 'victim' felt that strongly about it, she could have said so to her male colleague and left it at that.
Hardly the same comparing curves to dicks, I reckon! If the male had said tits or fanny, well, there would be a case to answer.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, the opinion of a woman, as opposed to a man.

How on earth do you think, you know how a woman thinks?

I don't (I leave that sort of c r a p to remoaners who think they know what leavers think! :wink:). However, I do know what your opinion is, and I disagree with it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've never developed the ability to whistle in the traditional way. In its place I have a rather effectively bird whistle. If I were to be a more dimwitted chap and feel it is my right to shriek at females of their shape or shaggability my wolf-whistle would sound more like a twit two, which would likely indicate, unfortunately, that I am hung like an owl.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How did you meet your husband?

He was in a white van shouting lewd comments at me. We hit it off straight away!

Said no-one ever.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
General rule of thumb:

If she fancies you, you'll get away with saying absolutely anything in any situation.
If she doesn't fancy you, you're going to court.

I'm sure the ladies would agree with this rule?

*disclaimer: The above is a joke.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Male employee goes to HR and complains that a female colleague is making him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, because her tight dress is blatantly sexual and unsuitable for the workplace.
How is a poor fellow meant to concentrate on the Laffer curve and figures on his spreadsheet when instead, he is really thinking about said female colleague and images of female curves and bedsheets are coming into his mind?:eek::blush::):)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sad times when a female employee feels it necessary to go to HR about such a remark, in my old fashioned and humble opinion.
Surely, if the 'victim' felt that strongly about it, she could have said so to her male colleague and left it at that.
Hardly the same comparing curves to dicks, I reckon! If the male had said tits or fanny, well, there would be a case to answer.

Totally agree. On reading the original post I was expecting the comment to have extended to "your tits look great in it" or something similar.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Male employee goes to HR and complains that a female colleague is making him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, because her tight dress is blatantly sexual and unsuitable for the workplace.
How is a poor fellow meant to concentrate on the Laffer curve and figures on his spreadsheet when instead, he is really thinking about said female colleague and images of female curves and bedsheets are coming into his mind?:eek::blush::):)
And gets sacked.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here