Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] One of these teams...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Kane has scored 51 goals in 55 games in the last year. He’s alongside CR7 as one of the two best players in the world right now. No doubt about it.

We were talking about current form. If we're talking about over the past year Kane wasn't even the best player in England. Salah and De Bruyne clearly better than him last season. Pretty sure he won't make the Ballon d'Or top three. Most likely be Ronaldo first, Messi second and another other than Kane third (unless he wins the World Cup playing well which would substantially boost his chances, but that hasn't happened yet).

Ronaldo has 34 goals in his last 26 games ... absolutely ridiculous form.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My prediction means nothing but I’ll post it anyway.

I think we have one more high scoring, entertaining win in us and that will come on Tuesday. Everyone will then go completely overboard. We will then find Sweden or Switzerland to be very stubborn and go out on Saturday, possibly on penalties.

I agree

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But we’re playing Colombia ��

Ive been really surprised the last few days by how many times I've seen Colombia spelt Columbia. Not just on here - on social media/mates texting etc. Does no one look at a map anymore? Not like Colombia has never been in the news before either!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ive been really surprised the last few days by how many times I've seen Colombia spelt Columbia. Not just on here - on social media/mates texting etc. Does no one look at a map anymore? Not like Colombia has never been in the news before either!

It's probably a result of the word's pronunciation with the short 'u' sound (e.g. 'but') as opposed to the short 'o' sound (e.g. 'not'.)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/colombia

There's also familiarity with the Columbia Sportswear Company, British Columbia in Canada, and also Columbia University in New York.

It's caused enough confusion for a piece to be penned on the subject in The City Paper Bogota:

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/opinion/columbia-vs-colombia/1576

D

Deleted member 18477

If this doesn't motivate England to do well nothing will...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Also helped by the fact that two of the teams normally in contention, Italy and Holland, didn't qualify. Surely this has got to be our best chance of reaching the final since 1966.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The six teams left in our half of the draw will all have realisitic ambitions of making the final. I wonder what effect that will have on the teams psychologically? It's easier to play with freedom when you are the underdog and expectations are lower. When there is a clear and viable path to the final for every team that must surely affect players thinking. There is something to lose now.

The media for once have been pretty good with England this world cup, will that change now 'it's coming home' is no longer necessarily ironic?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Why exactly? It's not like the spelling isn't widespread. It is Columbia records after all and Washington DC ( District of Columbia). And it's pronounced with an uh sound in the middle so imo it's not exactly a shock that so many people spell it incorrectly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here