Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

He was a pioneer for black footballers in this country.

But I am not a fan of minutes applauses for every bloody thing that happens. He's not an ex-Albion legend, so I hope we don't bother. If we do though, I'll duly do my seal impression for 60 seconds along with everyone else I suppose.

Technically he is an ex-albion legend !

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very happy to applaud Cyril Regis and love the fact our manager will get it and think it is important.

Also very pleased it is before kick off and not in the 9th or 59th minute. Those ones during the game can go off well (and have done in recent times at The Amex) but they aren't straightforward.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
I would stand and applaud anyone who made a stand against racism, that suffered dogs abuse for being a footballer that had a different skin colour to some, and, inspired a generation of kids with his dignity.

I won't remember him for any of that and if he did all that and inspired kids then great.However I prefer to remember him because his name takes
me back to when I was a kid and loving football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
CH had a few words to say about him if anyone is interested.

'Someone we all looked up to'

'Played a huge part'

etc

[tweet]954366603906428930[/tweet]

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That's really harsh....Alf has kept out of the Chelsea thread (despite much clickbait) and will doubtles be there tomorrow with his lad supporting the Albion.

It was meant as a little tongue in cheek. Perhaps an emoji wouldn't have gone amiss.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's the fashion to go over the top when someone dies and maybe exaggerate what they did.When you hear people praising him I get it that
some of them are just repeating the praises of others and don't actually know what he did.

He seemed a nice guy and for sure he was one of the better known players from that era I grew up in. However a minutes silence is over the top. Do it for him and you have to do it for anyone on his level.

In this PC era he is probably getting a minutes silence through pressure because he is black.

A number of black players have already passed away without a minutes silence or applause.

So we can safely conclude that this has more attached to it than that.

It has already been explained above why his death has had a marker laid against it above the passing of other players over the years.

If, in reading some of the responses above, you still cannot appreciate the significance and legacy of Cyrille Regis then so be it.

You are, however, missing a point of reflection that you would do well to look harder for.

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Okay, I'll give it a go.

Regis was a footballer in the top flight of the league. A good player.

He was black. There weren't many black players around.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

Superb post. And superbly written.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Okay, I'll give it a go.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

Well written,hope the idiots on this site read and digest

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Okay, I'll give it a go.

Top post. Ian Wright pretty much said the same on 'The Debate' a few nights back on Sky Sports on how important Regis was to him and others coming through 10 years after Regis did - Regis was the standard on how he had to conduct himself against the abuse and sadly according to Wright, not everyone could and plenty were put off trying to be a professional footballer.

Last edited:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42693383

Listen and watch - all anyone needs to know about Regis

I dont suppose anyone doubts Regis's contribution to the place of black footballers and it is right that that should be celebrated in the media and by people who knew him like Ian Wright. But the false sentimentality from people who did not know him culminating in a one minute applause is completely out of place and a legacy from all the Diana hysteria 20 years ago

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am not a fan of random applauses for dead footballers but Cyrille Regis deserves applause for how he changed the English game for the better.

I agree, they have become devalued, but this is an occasion on which we should reflect on how far we have come and the role he played in that happening.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is it me or is anyone else asking why??

He was just a footballer wasn't he? or did I miss something.

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

Is this a wind up ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I still remember as a callow boy of 13 in the mid 1970s seeing Banana's thrown on the pitch and monkey chants. I still remember people frothing at the mouth that a black player was on the pitch. Hard to believe those times ever existed but they did and Regis had to ply his trade in those conditions. I cannot personally think of a player who has died who deserves a minutes applause more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here