Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying property abroad

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Anyone done it? Giving some serious thought to buying a holiday home for the family somewhere warm and sunny but I'm a little bit trepedatious.

You hear horror stories of people losing their homes because the developer didn't have planning permission or because the property was 3 inches taller than its plans permitted, but is that common? Also a little nervous as to how easy it might be to sell should I ever need to - I understand foreign property markets move a little slower than over here.

Looking for somewhere within 3 hours of the UK with decent food and amenities for kids. Any recommendations?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
be careful......a friends dad bought a place in spain , he spent 20 thousand quid on it only for the deeds to be proved false and the property given back to the original owner......he now has a nice little bedsit in clifton rd....not.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Bought a villa two years ago in Spain

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone done it? Giving some serious thought to buying a holiday home for the family somewhere warm and sunny but I'm a little bit trepedatious.

You hear horror stories of people losing their homes because the developer didn't have planning permission or because the property was 3 inches taller than its plans permitted, but is that common? Also a little nervous as to how easy it might be to sell should I ever need to - I understand foreign property markets move a little slower than over here.

Looking for somewhere within 3 hours of the UK with decent food and amenities for kids. Any recommendations?

I bought in Tenerife 3 years ago, all very straightforward. The local (English) agent took care of everything. It's 4 hours away but we bought there for winter sun and warmth. We did consider the Med but we wanted something specifically for Winter and the Med doesn't really do it (to the same extent). Plus scores of dirt cheap flights!

The Spanish market has settled down now and I believe the boom/bust days are largely over.

Happy to give more detailed advice, feel free to PM if you are interested in specifics

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
be careful......a friends dad bought a place in spain , he spent 20 thousand quid on it only for the deeds to be proved false and the property given back to the original owner
20k was the total cost of the property? Or he bought it, and then spent 20k doing it up - in which case, did he get the purchase price back?

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Don't buy off plan! You may think you can save some cash but the stress isn't worth it. Look for an established property in an area where there are already holiday properties

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have a place in Portugal 3/4 hour north of Lisbon on the silver coast which I bought with 2 x friends in 2007 just before the global crash. Was original bought as an investment and we were going to sell on when complete, but Portugal, like others took a good hit and of the original 54 villas on the development only just over half are occupied.
Although we rent out during the summer (July, August) we struggle to rent out the rest of the year. We have now linked up with a golfing charity that auctions weeks at a time as there are three top courses within 10 mins of our villa, which are Praia Del Rey, The Royal Obidos, and Bom Successo. That does give us a bit back for the mortgage, but we cannot sell at the moment because people are still not buying out there.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Bought an apartment in Austria 12 years' ago. Skiing in the winter; walking and cycling in the hot summer. Gatwick to Salzburg is less than two hours. From here I can drive to Croatia, France, Italy, etc. in a few hours. Living costs are cheaper than UK, even with a low pound.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just the place for hot sun and sandy beaches.

Correct, Berlin is currently 33 degrees and you've got a pick of beaches, Wannsee, Plötzensee and Weissensee are my favourites.

I've also bought a property here so PM me if you have any questions.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't bother till the fall out from Brexit is known

A good point. Or maybe get in now while you can as moving money in and out of the EU post Brexit will not be as easy as it currently is.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Have you considered Abruzzo? London (City, Heathrow, Stansted) to Pescara (on the Adriatic coast) is 2.5 hours. Great beaches, great food (It's Italy ffs), lots of things to do, Skiing in the Apennines (one and a half hours driving) in winter, Rome within 3-4 hours, Tuscany similar. Much cheaper than Chianti-shire - more traditional Italy. Could buy a beachside apartment/villa, or an old house in one of the many hill-top villages that are with 45 mins of the airport. Being Italy, greasing a few palms helps with any issues that may arise...

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you considered Abruzzo? London (City, Heathrow, Stansted) to Pescara (on the Adriatic coast) is 2.5 hours. Great beaches, great food (It's Italy ffs), lots of things to do, Skiing in the Apennines (one and a half hours driving) in winter, Rome within 3-4 hours, Tuscany similar. Much cheaper than Chianti-shire - more traditional Italy. Could buy a beachside apartment/villa, or an old house in one of the many hill-top villages that are with 45 mins of the airport. Being Italy, greasing a few palms helps with any issues that may arise...

A uni friend married a girl from Pescara. I went to the wedding there; it's absolutely wonderful.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I bought mine by dealing direct with the vendor, luckily speaking the language made everything easier and I purchased a house for 50% less than the UK agent was selling it for.
Just understand the local laws and regulations and get a decent solicitor, most in Portugal/Spain have access to English speakers if you need.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Don't buy off plan! You may think you can save some cash but the stress isn't worth it. Look for an established property in an area where there are already holiday properties
Just done this in Bangkok Haha. What stress is there buying off an established developer?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
20k was the total cost of the property? Or he bought it, and then spent 20k doing it up - in which case, did he get the purchase price back?

he got nothing back.....he was told by the police commander of the area that there was nothing to be done.....big scam he paid 12k cash for the place itt was a 3 story place but the top two floors were wrecked ....he got a local builder to repair it for him and moved in .....a month later some spanish bloke turned up with the deeds to the property ....he had to move out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here