Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure it really matters does it? I'm bitterly disappointed by the manner of the defeat rather than the defeat itself. That was the most lacklustre and lifeless performance I can remember seeing from an England team(and there have been more than a few to choose from). Regardless of Hodgson's shortcomings the insipid nature of the performance is surely the fault of the players. They basically bottled it against Iceland. Until that fragile mentality changes I don't see how much of a difference a manager can make.

Oct 25, 2003
hoddle was a poor man manager in his time as england boss and he struggled to get the best out of creative flair players (ironic given what happened to him as a player)

decent tactician though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hoddle for me. At least he put together a team with structure and a plan. No one inspires, but he's the least uninspiring of the lot. Or, dare I say it, Allardyce.

If I had for one moment been tempted to think back to Hoddle's time in charge previously, and think "yeah, give him a go", I'd have been entirely put off by the complete and utter drivel he was spouting last night as ITV's summariser. It just made me wonder how bad his team talks must have been.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
First and foremost, we need someone who the players will revere, maybe even fear and then that someone needs to decide how we're going to play and then find the best XI to fit in to that approach. Shearer ticks the boxes for me, football isn't rocket science and Shearer isn't a rocket scientist. Way too many nice guys have been England manager, I shudder when I see the likes of Howe and Hughton mentioned, they may be great club managers but not for England. And Southgate? Do F**K off.

Jossys Giants
Swapping their homework for footwork,
Kicking the ball till its dark,

Here go Jossy's Giants,
Footballs just a branch of science,
Head the ball, now Jossy calls...

Jossy's Giants!!??

Dependable, Reliant
Put your faith in Jossy's Giants
Get stuck in, we're gonna win...

Jossy's Giants!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The idea that it has to be an English manager is outdated for me. It has to be who is perceived as the best available option.

You only have to look at English Rugby Union to understand this. We knew there was a huge pool of players and large resources. Eighth in the world was a poor reflection.

Eddie Jones, an Australian was decided upon. This was an action of treachery to some, but since the team have won a Six Nations Grand Slam and added their first series win in Australia- a 3-0 whitewash that was no fluke.

They are now ranked second only to the Kiwis.

If we want the national team to progress the choice of right candidate for management must not be limited to the nationality on their birth certificate.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
is he not coaching the US OF A ......think he's gonna swap California for Chester.....not....!!

And his stock has gone up getting the USA through to the semi finals of the Copa America plus his wife is American

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surely we need to choose someone in the 18-24 years bracket.They keep telling us they know everything,so give them a go.:eek::whistle:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
shearer / southgate / pearce....together....we know we have the talent , we just had a clueless , bed wetting ,nancy manager for the last 5 years.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
shearer / southgate / pearce....together....we know we have the talent , we just had a clueless , bed wetting ,nancy manager for the last 5 years.

I'd go with that. it needs players that have relatively recently been there and done it. I would possibly throw Beckham into the mix as well. The players don't coaching, they need motivating.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander

IDK about the tactical skills of Shearer but he certainly looked passionate about the England job on the TV last night. Of course that's not enough on it's own but 2 years and a tournament is long enough to find out if you have picked the right person. I wouldn't mind him being manager, certainly would be better than the last one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here