skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Overpaid, underperforming passionless millionaires losing to a nation of only 300k inhabitants. Abject England. Hopeless nation...

It is about passion...when you are fighting to get to the top you give everything...when you get to the top you are given everything...

Iceland had player from relegated Charlton, and player who is fighting for first team place at Cardiff......Our team have top clubs fighting to pay them ridiculous wages....Which are going to give everything to do well.

Ps. In the twelve hours since he led England to humiliation our Wayne has probably earnt £30k.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Can't remember a worse one in my lifetime at tournament level...that said it has been proved by Leicester Albion and now Iceland that team spirit is the most important ingredient...Obviously Iceland had a bit of ability and their goals were decent despite the defending.

Perhaps we could do better with League 1 and Championship players for the interim.

That was suggested on the radio after the defeat last night. They also touched on how much Roy Hodgson is paid. 4.5 million pounds per year! How much does the Icelandic coach / manager get paid? No-one knows , he's a part-time dentist! FFS!

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
It is about passion...when you are fighting to get to the top you give everything...when you get to the top you are given everything...

Iceland had player from relegated Charlton, and player who is fighting for first team place at Cardiff......Our team have top clubs fighting to pay them ridiculous wages....Which are going to give everything to do well.

Ps. In the twelve hours since he led England to humiliation our Wayne has probably earnt £30k.

An ex-Rotherham defender who shut up the as ever shyte Kane too!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Who gives a shit, we're shit and we always will be, don't deserve EFF all

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
They also touched on how much Roy Hodgson is paid. 4.5 million pounds per year! How much does the Icelandic coach / manager get paid? No-one knows , he's a part-time dentist! FFS!

Maybe England would be better off without a manager.

The highest placed English manager managing an EPL club can pick 15 players, who can then decide amongst themselves who should play where etc. The 4.5 million quid could go to charity (such as the REMF)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always figured that the Centre Forward (Kane) should be on the receiving end of corners & free kicks, not taking them.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Before I was born, but the 1-0 defeat to the USA must have been worse - they were part-timers. But this is the worst in my lifetime - the players should feel thoroughly ashamed

By all (reasonable) accounts that 1950 result was just one of those flukes that happen. USA weren't even in the game at any stage but the ball would not go in their net, then they scored with pretty much their only shot - and that was deflected (I'm going on my recollection of reading a number of sources on this inc Tom Finney's btw...I wasn't there). Last night appears to be way worse because Iceland deserved to win...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You know just how bad things have got when one of the New York tabloids is having a pop on its front page

13516438_10153563335082541_3644740044624820854_n.jpg

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Before I get stuck into England, let's just get one thing straight. Iceland are better than their 'population the size of Leicester' status suggests - they're ranked 34th in the world (as of right now, they'll be pushing the top 20 after the tournament) which puts them ahead of the likes of Sweden, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Denmark. Defeats to those nations would have been poor, but woudn't have been met with quite such derision as tonight's capitulation. They also beat the Netherlands home and away during qualification.

All that said, there were a couple of things which made tonight possible for Iceland. Firstly, they've had a good crop of players come through at the right time, relative to the size of their population. However, man for man they are nevertheless massively inferior to the English players. Would any clubs of the England squad be looking to do a straight swap with their Icelandic counterparts? Not a chance.

What we've learned from Leicester this season is that individual talent only counts for so much. Taking what you've got, making the very most of it and developing a team which allows individuals to play the best of their ability can go a long, long way. It certainly did for Iceland tonight.

You can say what you like about English grass roots football, the lower league structure and the supposed pressure of playing for England. You can stick 'elite' development squads into the Football League Trophy, shit all over the heritage of our football league by introducing Spanish-style B teams, or any other such bollocks Greg Dyke and his pals can come with.

Iceland has none of that - it's not the problem. Our players are, for the most part, perfectly adequete at club level. Gareth Bale aside, have we come up against a single player commanding a salary above that of the England squad's average? Certainly not tonight, that's for sure.

Until we install a management team capable of taking the individual talent we undoubtdedly have and translating it into something that works as a 'team' we will acheive nothing. It's an exceptional circumstance I grant you, but Ranieri managed to do that in little more than a pre-season. We need to stop ducking the issue and talking about 10 year plans to reach a semi final in ****ing Qatar, and face up to dealing with what we've got right here, right now.

Because tomorrow never comes.

you should email this post to the following address:-

idiots@theFA.com

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here