Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The difference is that I have been perfectly prepared to say that different experts have different opinions but so many Brexiters insist that any expert who disagrees with them is 'scaremongering'. There is a holier than thou spirit which sometimes grates.

When you are on the side of the Angels it is hard to conceal the blinding light of truth radiating off their Halo's :angel:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No one knows what will happen if we exit but we can be fairly sure that things will stay broadly the same in the short term at least if we stay in. So, on security alone, there have been 56 deaths from terrorist atrocities on British soil since 2005 - 55 in the tube and bus bombings (including the bombers) plus Lee Rigby.

Didn't one of the attackers in the Glasgow Airport attack die from his injuries a little while after the event, although the other one is serving a lengthy sentence.

Also I don't think we should overlook the 100s injured in the 7/7 attack.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't one of the attackers in the Glasgow Airport attack die from his injuries a little while after the event, although the other one is serving a lengthy sentence.

Also I don't think we should overlook the 100s injured in the 7/7 attack.

I don't think a single one of the relatives affected by either a death or an injury as a result of terror is insignificant individually. Their families and the injured themselves have to live with it daily. I think what happened to Lee Rigby is as shocking and disgusting today as I thought it was at the time, and it's significant culturally, that's what the attackers intended.

But if people are going to start mentioning that we would or would not be safer under Brexit I'm going to point out that you are MUCH more at risk of death and injury every time you get behind the wheel of your car.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Like this one in London at the end of last year - do you remember reading about it? - I don't

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...am-media-outlets-say-organisers-a6765976.html

attachment.php

No, I cannot say that I do.
I suppose the implication is that the press ignores "good things" done by muslims, but in reality, the numbers might well have been rather small, and the press cannot be everywhere. I really don't know.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So that small protest was basically carried out by Shia's against Sunni Isis?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
No one knows what will happen if we exit but we can be fairly sure that things will stay broadly the same in the short term at least if we stay in. So, on security alone, there have been 56 deaths from terrorist atrocities on British soil since 2005 - 55 in the tube and bus bombings (including the bombers) plus Lee Rigby.

In just one of those years, 2013, by comparison 1,713 people lost their lives in UK road traffic accidents.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/annual-road-fatalities

We are never 100% safe but we are much safer than we think we are. For me the economic arguments regarding Brexit are where we should be looking to decide. Either side piggy backing on an event like yesterday are making opportunity out of tragedy.

The trouble is, if the problem of radicalisation within Islamic communities is as extensive as some on this thread have suggested, it's hard to see the problem not getting significantly worse from here on in.

One of the things I keep hearing about yesterday's attacks is how 'sophisticated' they were; but were they? If someone is prepared to walk into an unsecured, crowded area and detonate an improvised bomb there's relatively little (other than pre-emptive prevention through intelligence) you can do to prevent it.

If these people can learn to consistently avoid detection in the first place (and I get the impression a lot of 'progress' has been made in that sense), we're going to be in for a bumpy ride.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The trouble is, if the problem of radicalisation within Islamic communities is as extensive as some on this thread have suggested, it's hard to see the problem not getting significantly worse from here on in.

One of the things I keep hearing about yesterday's attacks is how 'sophisticated' they were; but were they? If someone is prepared to walk into an unsecured, crowded area and detonate an improvised bomb there's relatively little (other than pre-emptive prevention through intelligence) you can do to prevent it.

If these people can learn to consistently avoid detection in the first place (and I get the impression a lot of 'progress' has been made in that sense), we're going to be in for a bumpy ride.

One fact of small consolation, though I guess significant in its symbolism with the current back drop of headlines, is the fact that plots within the UK have been foiled by information that comes from within Muslim groups. Alas, the tabloid headlines do not reflect this.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
"Islam needs a good dose of ridicule, just as every previous angry, greedy religions before it, it needs a good kicking "..... look what happens when they get a good dose of ridicule, Charlie Hebdo and Danish cartoons etc spring to mind.

Yeah, because they think they have been given some divine position in our passive western civilisation without challenge, whilst we were given Mary Whitehouse ................

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

In Turkish airports everyone has to go through metal detectors before they can go into the airport.That will eventually happen here in the UK

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One fact of small consolation, though I guess significant in its symbolism with the current back drop of headlines, is the fact that plots within the UK have been foiled by information that comes from within Muslim groups. Alas, the tabloid headlines do not reflect this.

Well quite.

My boss is a practicing muslim, a British Pakistani born in Manchester. He's not particularly devout and certainly not radical in any way but he's certainly getting f***ed off with having to give the white guys the laptops to carry on business trips (and still getting Mr Jelly Finger) or having to tell his wife that Paris might not be the ideal destination for their wedding anniversary or his kids that a trip to Disney Land might not be as much fun as they think.

For every person radicalised by a new attack I would bet there are hundreds who are just as repulsed as us white folks and who suffer discrimination as a result. Supporting them might just weedle out a few more of the bad eggs.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So then what about the queues for the metal detectors?
Hardly be queues would there? Bags on convener belt while you walk through a detector. Takes less than 20 secs unless they do a frisk search.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
No I think you'll find they were asking why,

why, they stone women,
why, murder homosexuals,
why, they discriminate against women
why, would any sane person think killing indiscriminately might offer access to 72 virgins
why, a woman should be treated as a second rate citizen

what mindset would consider these things acceptable, a frigging Islamic religious one, thats what ........

what kind of c*nt do you take me for i get the fact that they are nothing but vile sick bast*rds... but for us to bomb f*ck out of innocent civilians in syria etc isn't the answer, not only has it provoked the situation further more it has lead to Europe's current tidal wave of migrants;/refugee's. and not to mention the money it has cost.
the truth is hardly any of these atrocities would have came about had the west not intervened like they did, any idiot could work that one out.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hardly be queues would there? Bags on convener belt while you walk through a detector. Takes less than 20 secs unless they do a frisk search.

So why are there lengthy queues to go 'airside' after check in. There are less bags to check and everyone has taken off jackets and metal items. The time taken to go into an airport where there are more people (friends say farewell or picking up) more bags, etc, and I assume two queues one for people with tickets and one for those without.

Delays as the detector goes ping, and an item has to be removed and then another ping, resulting in either the body scan machine and/or body search.

Perhaps you can give me a £1 for each time it takes longer than 20 seconds, I reckon I could retire with ease by the end of the first week or operation.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So why are there lengthy queues to go 'airside' after check in. There are less bags to check and everyone has taken off jackets and metal items. The time taken to go into an airport where there are more people (friends say farewell or picking up) more bags, etc, and I assume two queues one for people with tickets and one for those without.

Delays as the detector goes ping, and an item has to be removed and then another ping, resulting in either the body scan machine and/or body search.

Perhaps you can give me a £1 for each time it takes longer than 20 seconds, I reckon I could retire with ease by the end of the first week or operation.

Passport checks and ticket checks? Don't get any of that at the first line of security at Turkish airports.As i say it's a scan of cases and body and nothing else.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here