Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Gus got the sack, would you have him back?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Really....REALLY!!!!.....you can't be serious.
I think you are suffering from a disorder that afflicts a number of BHA fans where Gus Poyet is concerned. Its called ' selective memory disorder ' They remember the free flowing wins against the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley ( poor sides ) the emotional win v Palace and one or two others. They forget the grindingly boring possession football, the back four rolling the ball between themselves for ages and the tight nervy games that ensued. I saw some of the worse football I have ever witnessed under Poyet. Mind numbing football. He lacked imagination at times and was always cautious. He wasn't a gambler. He was frightened to unleash Vicente. He would rather play safe. He did well, steering us to fourth but that was with the best team in the division. We should have gone up automatically. ( certain other managers would have taken us up )
Poyet is self-centred and not that intelligent. He has an animal cunning but is a rather empty vessel. In his playing career he would drive teammates mad with his incessant talking and self-importance. I don't believe he is a listener and I don't believe he is learner. Why should he be...he knows everything already. His managerial career won't develop. He has peaked already. Basic gameplans, too rigid, too cautious.
Its an obvious no from me, for the above reasons, but above anything else, I felt that his behaviour, in his last few weeks here, was not befitting of a manager of BHA. He showed his true character and its a character I don't like. I don't like my club being held to ransom. I don't like my Chairman being held to ransom and I don't like my manager prostituting himself to a rival club, when he should have been concentrating on getting BHA promoted.
CH is a decent man, a good manager and an honourable one. Thats good enough for me.

Great post

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Please mods. Anyone who mentions Poyet in this context should be given an automatic 1 week ban.

Can we stop looking back all the time!

Hughton Out! Barber Out! Bloom Out! Bring back Bellotti.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was wondering this yesterday and asked myself. If Gus got the sack from Sunderland and came to Tony a humbled and changed man and asked for a second chance, would you have him back after his previous tenure?

I think if Tony was willing to have him I'd take him back in a heart beat. The pain and bitterness from his first time in charge has worn off for me.

Likewise if OG was to come back with a strong assistant I'd take him in a heartbeat also.

Nothing against CH in the slightest, but I also don't think he'll be the man to take us up. He'll give us a few seasons of mid table mediocrity IMO.

A wind up, surely?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you are suffering from a disorder that afflicts a number of BHA fans where Gus Poyet is concerned. Its called ' selective memory disorder ' They remember the free flowing wins against the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley ( poor sides ) the emotional win v Palace and one or two others. They forget the grindingly boring possession football, the back four rolling the ball between themselves for ages and the tight nervy games that ensued. I saw some of the worse football I have ever witnessed under Poyet. Mind numbing football. He lacked imagination at times and was always cautious. He wasn't a gambler. He was frightened to unleash Vicente. He would rather play safe. He did well, steering us to fourth but that was with the best team in the division. We should have gone up automatically. ( certain other managers would have taken us up )
Poyet is self-centred and not that intelligent. He has an animal cunning but is a rather empty vessel. In his playing career he would drive teammates mad with his incessant talking and self-importance. I don't believe he is a listener and I don't believe he is learner. Why should he be...he knows everything already. His managerial career won't develop. He has peaked already. Basic gameplans, too rigid, too cautious.
Its an obvious no from me, for the above reasons, but above anything else, I felt that his behaviour, in his last few weeks here, was not befitting of a manager of BHA. He showed his true character and its a character I don't like. I don't like my club being held to ransom. I don't like my Chairman being held to ransom and I don't like my manager prostituting himself to a rival club, when he should have been concentrating on getting BHA promoted.
CH is a decent man, a good manager and an honourable one. Thats good enough for me.

I love the way you accuse some fans of selective memory disorder by focusing on the negatives, but conveniently forgetting the escape from relegation in his very first managerial position, and the record breaking (several records) season that followed to ensure that we went into the Amex in the Championship and not as a League 1 or even a League 2 team.
If you're going to discuss Gus Poyet then discuss the whole 3.5 years.

scooter1

How soon is now?
No.
Whilst we had some very good times under GP, he is a despicable man with very slopey shoulders.
From the point he left our club, and under the cloud he left I'm glad he has now become another clubs problems. I lost respect for him the moment he started talking about wanting the Leeds job, whilst in a promotion race at our club. The rest is history, let's leave it there

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I love the way you accuse some fans of selective memory disorder by focusing on the negatives, but conveniently forgetting the escape from relegation in his very first managerial position,

Can you remind us of this 'escape from relegation' Poyet amazingly pulled off?

When Gus took over, how many points were we from safety and how many games did we have left?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
If you're going to discuss Gus Poyet then discuss the whole 3.5 years.

We had 3.5 successful years with Poyet in charge, where he took us from relegation fodder in league one, to promotion contenders in the championship, however it was probably the easiest period in the club's history for any manager to do that, as there was the major feel good factor of the AMEX and the funds of Tony Bloom to carry us, but credit to him though as he got the team playing some superb football, especially at the Withdean, where we destroyed league one, but in the Championship he was more cautious and there were many bore draws that really didn't need to be bore draws, still there are some fantastic memories that were left such as the 3-0 win over palace, 2-1 vs doncaster, 6-1 vs blackpool, the signing of Vicente, the highest finish for 30 years etc., and some not so pleasant ones such as the play-off defeat to palace, and as said earlier the many unnecessary negative home performances. All in all Poyet's tenure was a great time for the club that could have debatably been even better, and ended bitterly and somewhat abruptly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can you remind us of this 'escape from relegation' Poyet amazingly pulled off?

When Gus took over, how many points were we from safety and how many games did we have left?

You're quite capable of looking it up for yourself. We were in a relegation place when he took over.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We were in a relegation place when he took over.

So were Spurs when Redknapp took over. That doesn't mean he saved them from relegation.

We had the likes of Murray and Forster upfront. Dicker, Crofts and Bennett in the middle and El-abd and Elphick at the back.

Even Hyppia would of kept that team from relegation to league 2.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So were Spurs when Redknapp took over. That doesn't mean he saved them from relegation.

We had the likes of Murray and Forster upfront. Dicker, Crofts and Bennett in the middle and El-abd and Elphick at the back.

Even Hyppia would of kept that team from relegation to league 2.

That's nonsense and you know it. Slade might have kept us up, as he'd managed the season before, but there were no guarantees. Tony Bloom didn't want to take that chance. We didn't just survive, we finished in 11th place. So who got the best out of Dicker, Murray, Crofts & Bennett? I don't include Forster as he went at the end of January.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think the response of the majority on this thread says it all.

Despite the massive success he had at the club and the fact that we (arguably) came within a Speroni save of the Premiership under his watch, virtually no one would have him back.

Says a lot about his character and emphasises the fact that any club who hired him going forward is just asking for trouble.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Provocative question but apart from the fact it won't happen it would be a disgraceful snub to CH and probably it would backfire horrendously.

Gus left when he realised there was no cash available to improve the side,this situation has not changed so chance of him returning.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've already heard rumblings against Hughton especially about his team selections, and squad rotations. I heard someone wanting him sacked after yesterday's game.
All managerial appointments end in tears, one way or another.

Unhappy with Hughton, with the turnaround he's achieved in a very short time with a weak squad heading for League One, then they (you) will never be happy. Give the bloke a chance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unhappy with Hughton, with the turnaround he's achieved in a very short time with a weak squad heading for League One, then they (you) will never be happy. Give the bloke a chance.

You're preaching to the wrong person. I didn't say it, others have.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
That's nonsense and you know it. Slade might have kept us up, as he'd managed the season before, but there were no guarantees. Tony Bloom didn't want to take that chance. We didn't just survive, we finished in 13th place. So who got the best out of Dicker, Murray, Crofts & Bennett? I don't include Forster as he went at the end of January.

Corrected for you. :thumbsup:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Completely agree with this post. Best post on the thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here