Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest spending getting silly now

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But Middlesborough aren't one of them. Which is why it was my example.

I get the parachute payments.

What I don't get is how teams like Boro and Bournemouth are more adept in the transfer market than we are.

Are people seriously defending our recruitment policy. Not quite sure where you've been for the last three windows

And where have you been?

Our transfer policy has seen us finish above your example clubs in each of the seasons we have been in the Championship. So who is doing it the right way?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I think people need to read my original post again.

At no point did I mention being wreckless. In fact I specifically warned against that. What I did say was that a certain degree of flexibility may be needed.

This thread is typical of NSC and the bed wetting brigade. The slightest semblance of criticism and god help us

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What I don't get is how teams like Boro and Bournemouth are more adept in the transfer market than we are.

Are people seriously defending our recruitment policy. Not quite sure where you've been for the last three windows

Thought our policy for the last three windows has been reasonable, up to £10 million for Ulloa, £3.95 million for Bridcutt and £750k for Barnes is excellent business. The incoming signings of Upson, Ward, Stephens, Ince cost us less than a million last season, and took us to the playoffs.

As for Boro and Bournemouth, they both finished below us last season, and the one before.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

At no point did I mention being wreckless. In fact I specifically warned against that. What I did say was that a certain degree of flexibility may be needed.

This thread is typical of NSC and the bed wetting brigade. The slightest semblance of criticism and god help us

Explain your non "wreckless" flexibilty. Remembering that your junior season ticket money doesn't even cover the cost of a development squad player's lunch at the new academy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

This thread is typical of NSC and the bed wetter brigade. The slightest semblance of criticism and god help us

How much flexibility do you think we need?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I seriously doubt they (Middlesbrough) are generating anywhere near enough revenue to be a sustainable venture beyond the bank rolling of their chairman. In addressing the OP, I think you need to register this: The powers that be at the Albion are never going to knowingly run the club at a continued and unsustainable loss, and that means gradual reduction of budget in line with the FFP regulations. I would also expect the Albion to (eventually) pursue legal action against the football league if they feel sanctions against other clubs are not harsh enough. This whole situation could be a total farce and mess. Finally Mr Clayton can get f'kd as far as I'm concerned, if indeed he signs for the Smog, he's gone for the money plain and simple. The Middlesbrough fans had better enjoy this short-lived victory, because they cannot (are not let's face it!) be in a position to be able to afford to pay for players of his ilk based on falling attendances and any tangible success (cup runs etc.) on the pitch.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If your happy to except that Adam Clayton is off to Middlesborough because he likes the area then you a fool.

Like so many other players we have lost out for one reason and one reason only. Other clubs are prepared to pay more.

If the likes of Boro can afford it on there shit crowds (and there are plenty of other examples) then why can't we with 26k plus every week?

Unless you can answer this, bugger off
Gate receipts are only one aspect of a clubs incomings and outgoings

:lolol:

Irony is not your strong point I assume?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Where else are Middlesbrough able to magic up this money from? Steve Gibson that's who, and that contravenes the FFP bank rolling rules. They are surely not generating massive amounts of income via player sales, merchandise, TV, and/or successes on the pitch... are they?!?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Buts its fine you see because the 2 they sold to Newcastle are being loaned back to them. They're paying a grand total of 0% of their wages for the season ahead so the signing they've made today clearly comes from.the.savings they made from 2 salaries

Maybe that's the secret of getting round FFP. Wealthy chairman of championship club X buys lowly non league club and uses them to buy all his club X players and then loans them back. Champ club has no wage bill and sheds load of transfer money.

Jobs a good un 👍

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Our transfer policy has been a hotly disputed topic of conversation and massive bone of contention for 2-3 windows now.

There's no smoke without fire. There's clearly a fundamental problem, it does exist, despite the resistance apparent in this thread.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Because our 26k plus isn't every week, it's not even once a fortnight. Gate receipts were £8.7 million from those attendances, there are five clubs in the division receiving £18 million from parachute payments, and a further five receiving £9 million.

So there's your answer.

El Presidente - how do I find your post breaking down our accounts and what we are spending on players. It should be a sticky at the moment as nearly every thread has something in it about our "wage structure" or income that is just complete rubbish.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted

You can't say that Boro and Bournemouth are more adept without knowing what they are paying players. Bloom went on record to say that the reason we didn't get Grabban is Bournemouth offered wages far in excess of what we were able to.

How much flexibility do you think we need?

main8350.jpg

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Our transfer policy has been a hotly disputed topic of conversation and massive bone of contention for 2-3 windows now.

There's no smoke without fire. There's clearly a fundamental problem, it does exist, despite the resistance apparent in this thread.

There is a fundamental problem, and it is very simple. We cannot compete on wages/transfer fees with clubs with parachute payments as we will not exceed FFP losses. That's it, end of.

If other clubs want to risk their future flaunting FFP that is up to them but we won't.

I don't get what people don't understand about this.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

The 'fundamental problem' is the 'fundamental' losses of countless millions in recent years. Which part of that are you struggling with?

Supposing we go with your plan of spunking even more money we don't have in the hope we get promoted-what happens if we don't? You haven't really thought your plan through have you?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How much money must they have spent last two years. Absolute crazy.

Does there chairman know something we don't about the sustainability of FFP?

If I sound jealous that's because I am.

It's not lack of investment from a transfer fee perspective that frustrates me. It's how quite clearly our wage structure is not conducive to where we as a club want to be. It's time we excepted that this method isn't working and take a slightly more calculated risk without being wreck-less.

I think a calculated risk is being taken, as it is at other clubs, our club has come to one conclusion as to what may be spent o. Time will tell who (if anyone) got their calculations right.
In January we will see if FFP has any teeth, if inflated sponsorship deals are an effective work around, if QPR will cough up now they are a PL club and are not bound by Championship rules, and if there are crippling embargos for clubs that over payed players to sign them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here