Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had my London rejection yesterday, which is just as well as I'm still broken as ****. The tendonitis flares every now and again and this groin strain isn't shifting for anyone. Brighton probably in the balance again, seeing as it took my first 20 mile week in a while to break myself.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I got the email of doom today... which came as something of a relief seeing as I'm signed up for Brighton. Do a sub-3:15 time in that and I won't need the ballot for London the following year!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I saw someone post about this earlier. I've just read the article and it all makes sense, in the context of the article. Sort of.

Not really - don't think parkrun was the right event to choose. Entirely organised by volunteers, not competitive etc. What'e he proven anyway ? That people sometimes cheat at races ? No shit Sherlock :). I saw loads joining the Seville marathon around the course, a V-cat podium finisher was disqualified at Brighton this year and there were something like 5,000 that cheated in the Mexico City marathon.

This site is brilliant.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I can't take rejection or run marathons so that rules London out for me. Planning on Brighton Marathon and the Three Forts Challenge afterwards.
I have decided on a new training plan for Veteran Runners or old gits who need extra recovery time... Starting at Xmas I will run a long run every 4 days starting at 12 miles and building up to and down from 15-20 miles each run. I will have good recovery between each run and so put more effort into each session. It means I will break from the Sunday Long run routine doing 2 long runs every 8 days pushing each session a day forward each week. I will do Parkrun every Saturday as a speed session.

Decided on this due to good progress this year from NOT running much and in the past usually arrive knackered at the start line. Should be interesting. Will mix in cross training.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I did a 21:48 at Hove Park last Saturday so I must have been just behind [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] most of the way round. Congratulations to the former for jumping back above me in the table. I even heard somebody called Lucy being spoken to by someone near me and also cheered by a volunteer so I must have been very close to you without knowing. I also saw the person I think is [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] at the end. I say 'think' because I have a vague recollection of him being pointed out to me about seven years ago and have never actually spoken to him so I couldn't take the gamble and ask (I've got some social pride!), but I will do next time if he is who I think. Were you in a really bright green/yellow T-shirt on Saturday?

I'm quite annoyed with myself today as I ran a half-marathon at lunchtime but in my desperation for a drink I forgot to turn my watch off at the end so instead of a time of about 1:51:00 (which I would have been very happy with for a training run) I have ended up with my stats showing a 1:54:47.

Yeah, you would've passed me down the home stretch as I tried (without success) to get Lucy to hurry up a bit to hit sub-22 – well done on your time. I'm obviously not as ruthless as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] with his 'win at all costs' approach...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not really - don't think parkrun was the right event to choose. Entirely organised by volunteers, not competitive etc. What'e he proven anyway ? That people sometimes cheat at races ? No shit Sherlock :). I saw loads joining the Seville marathon around the course, a V-cat podium finisher was disqualified at Brighton this year and there were something like 5,000 that cheated in the Mexico City marathon.

This site is brilliant.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/

I think, having mentioned other more well-known cheats, he's experienced it himself so can talk about it with first-hand experience and with an extra level of 'authority'. Maybe parkrun wasn't the best choice of event to do it at, but it was probably the easiest (few spectators, no race numbers to check) and the type of event where few would expect it to happen. He obviously felt bad about it (maybe he was told to do it by the editor or features ed?) and fessed up to them prior to publication and i think it's pretty clear he has no issue with parkrun and doesn't want to show it in a bad light.

You never know, his article could make cheats think twice, lead to new ways of stopping them, or increase the popularity of parkrun further...

I'll be honest I'm not – and never likely to be – at the level where someone cheating would prevent a race victory or a podium place, so I'm not really fussed. At the end of the day, they are only cheating themselves and they are the ones who have to live with knowing that they've cheated.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, you would've passed me down the home stretch as I tried (without success) to get Lucy to hurry up a bit to hit sub-22 – well done on your time. I'm obviously not as ruthless as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] with his 'win at all costs' approach...

I'll shout 'Loosey' to you next time I pass you!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I can't take rejection or run marathons so that rules London out for me. Planning on Brighton Marathon and the Three Forts Challenge afterwards.
I have decided on a new training plan for Veteran Runners or old gits who need extra recovery time... Starting at Xmas I will run a long run every 4 days starting at 12 miles and building up to and down from 15-20 miles each run. I will have good recovery between each run and so put more effort into each session. It means I will break from the Sunday Long run routine doing 2 long runs every 8 days pushing each session a day forward each week. I will do Parkrun every Saturday as a speed session.

Decided on this due to good progress this year from NOT running much and in the past usually arrive knackered at the start line. Should be interesting. Will mix in cross training.

Sounds very structured. Will watch with interest - and with one eye on my AG ranking. No parkrun for me this week. Also I'd planned to run the (very hilly) 'Sussex HM' on Sunday but Achilles is a bit sore so will try to stay on the flat and get some (slow) miles in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds very structured. Will watch with interest - and with one eye on my AG ranking. No parkrun for me this week. Also I'd planned to run the (very hilly) 'Sussex HM' on Sunday but Achilles is a bit sore so will try to stay on the flat and get some (slow) miles in.

Wise move. Think I'll have a sit back Parkrun tomorrow and give Sunday's run up to the Dyke a bit more welly.

No fear of any AG threat from my marathon training. It's purely to get some miles in the legs and hopefully sneak under 4 hours.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Ran Lewes downland 10 mile last Sunday. Very enjoyable race, spent the race trying to find the firmest route through the mud, mile 8 really sorted out the men from the boys, one endless slog uphill track in the mud where at the top most had to walk part of it, My 11.34 on strava was actually one of the quicker mile 8 times. Anyway my longest ever run, and therefore first ever 10 mile in 1:29:21. Will definitely run this next year. One for the NSC PB table.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran Lewes downland 10 mile last Sunday. Very enjoyable race, spent the race trying to find the firmest route through the mud, mile 8 really sorted out the men from the boys, one endless slog uphill track in the mud where at the top most had to walk part of it, My 11.34 on strava was actually one of the quicker mile 8 times. Anyway my longest ever run, and therefore first ever 10 mile in 1:29:21. Will definitely run this next year. One for the NSC PB table.

I was very close to entering but glad I didn’t as the wife had booked a spa day, but I’ll definitely give it a go next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here