Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Palace can't... 16/17

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
:lol: 1965 that was. So you're using 50 years as a cut off point for Burnley but not Brighton, great stuff.

Your argument is silly.

No history over the last 50 years? :lol: Stroll on me old china.
Mate I wouldn't waste your time with this , we've been having this discussion with them for ages . They are , shall we say , obsessed with attendances since the Amex years .

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Had there been a level playing field over the past twenty years, then I suspect that may have been different. I will, give you credit on your last promotion, you were pretty dreadful for half that season but you somehow came through. Can you answer this question though? Why did your average attendance go up about 10000 when you were promoted? I'm particularly interested in your answer as many of your fans highlight our increased attendances at the Amex and accuse our fans of being plastic. Given that over 20000 Brighton fans were registered at Withdean, it is no surprise that we have many season ticket holders, which make up most of our attendance. Given that we are now in our 6th season at the Amex and our crowds are obviously here to stay (first season syndrome lol), why is your club unable to attract the missing ten thousand when you are not in the top flight?

The season we got promotion we averaged 17,000
The next season we averaged 24,000, a 7000 increase.
When you consider in the PL , most away clubs take up the full 3000 allocation, it's not such a drastic increase as you are suggesting.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The season we got promotion we averaged 17,000
The next season we averaged 24,000, a 7000 increase.
When you consider in the PL , most away clubs take up the full 3000 allocation, it's not such a drastic increase as you are suggesting.
Maybe not, but okay, explain why you averaged 17000, with perhaps 1500 away average. That's disappointing surely? You only have a small ground, why aren't you selling out?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So you're measuring size of club on attendances and historical attendances, alright then.

What happened just 18 years ago? http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Or do you think that it's pretty silly to pick out a season when a club is at its lowest ebb?

It's a mixture of things in my opinion - and still comes down to an opinion. But your example there is horrific. Were you playing 1.5 hrs drive away from turf moor in the year the guy highlighted..?! We're not a fair one to talk about attendances between 97-2010 - very different our circumstances to pretty much any other club in that period.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Maybe not, but okay, explain why you averaged 17000, with perhaps 1500 away average. That's disappointing surely? You only have a small ground, why aren't you selling out?

Is selling out the be all or end all ?
Why do Brighton fans feel that suddenly they set the benchmark for attendances, when for years ( even before you got shafted from the Goldstone) your support was poor ?
If you stepped outside the Brighton Bubble for a moment, you would see what most other fans can see, your a traditional lower league team who have hit the jackpot with Blooms millions ?

Jan 10, 2014
It's a mixture of things in my opinion - and still comes down to an opinion. But your example there is horrific. Were you playing 1.5 hrs drive away from turf moor in the year the guy highlighted..?!

No but we were a failing football club playing shite football at a time when attendances were down at 'every' club in the country.

It's still silly to pick out a clubs attendances when they're at their lowest ebb.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Ah the good old bigger club debate.
[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] will reference history well before he was born, perhaps before his grandfather was born or some time around franz ferdinand's assasination and the croydon massive will select whichever version of themselves they see fit.

It's a cringeworthy debate and makes you look like knobs, including our lot.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why do Brighton fans feel that suddenly they set the benchmark for attendances, when for years ( even before you got shafted from the Goldstone) your support was poor ?
If you stepped outside the Brighton Bubble for a moment, you would see what most other fans can see, your a traditional lower league team who have hit the jackpot with Blooms millions ?

And this is why we need an away end.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Abit of both , but I admit it's a very thin line between the two .

Our other 2 clubs outperformed you as well :whistle:

It's a beautiful thing my persona on this forum when it comes to you lot. Very hard to work out sometimes but Doogle gets what it's about a lot more than the bet welcher (or was that Doogle, I can never remember). I'd love to have a drink with you chaps in real life & the convo would be a lot different than on here - this is just a playground & not real life chaps :thumbsup:

All joking aside, as I've told you before I have a respect for the palace fans I know and even those I don't far deeper than even a big London supporting team 'fan' born & raised in Sussex (some seem to think just cos they go to 'the bridge' twice a year for a home game it makes them acceptable as a real fan). Real football fans are class - even if we won't always agree. I may have told you I went to a funeral a few years back of a diamond bloke who I loved dearly. If you'd met him you'd say the same. Whole family palace etc. As they played Glad All over in the packed crem, while watching his grandkids saying goodbye etc a tear reached my eye. And I knew he was looking down laughing at me with 2 fingers up :lol:

But I won't change the banter angle on here - it's a bit of fun at end need of the day... I've told you all before not to take what I write too seriously :thumbsup:

Jan 10, 2014
Ah the good old bigger club debate.

[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] will reference history well before he was born

He won't you know (first game in 1968).

He also won't try and put Brighton down, even when some on here are putting Burnley down.

I agree with you though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No but we were a failing football club playing shite football at a time when attendances were down at 'every' club in the country.

It's still silly to pick out a clubs attendances when they're at their lowest ebb.

Agreed. My initial post was more a wind up to the palace fans - I forget there's a random Burnley fan on here! I don't really do the whole 'bigger club' thing normally, as there's a hundred things you could measure it on. We just enjoy a wind up in here with attendances as ours are pretty amazing these days.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No selling out is not the be all and end all as performance on the pitch is paramount luckily for you as your support is poor. You lot are constantly banging on about our 'plastics' so I was interested as to your answer about your large increase in attendance when you are in the top league. I am not surprised you can't answer that or chose not to, but your lack of explanation about not selling out such a small stadium shows your disappointment.

Thanks.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It's a beautiful thing my persona on this forum when it comes to you lot. Very hard to work out sometimes but Doogle gets what it's about a lot more than the bet welcher (or was that Doogle, I can never remember). I'd love to have a drink with you chaps in real life & the convo would be a lot different than on here - this is just a playground & not real life chaps :thumbsup:

All joking aside, as I've told you before I have a respect for the palace fans I know and even those I don't far deeper than even a big London supporting team 'fan' born & raised in Sussex (some seem to think just cos they go to 'the bridge' twice a year for a home game it makes them acceptable as a real fan). Real football fans are class - even if we won't always agree. I may have told you I went to a funeral a few years back of a diamond bloke who I loved dearly. If you'd met him you'd say the same. Whole family palace etc. As they played Glad All over in the packed crem, while watching his grandkids saying goodbye etc a tear reached my eye. And I knew he was looking down laughing at me with 2 fingers up :lol:

But I won't change the banter angle on here - it's a bit of fun at end need of the day... I've told you all before not to take what I write too seriously :thumbsup:

Fair play

( but less of the "my persona " ) :ffsparr:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair play

( but less of the "my persona " ) :ffsparr:

:lol: Why's that - I wouldn't act like that face to face is what I mean - there would be a mutual respect in a calm debate if we discussed our 2 clubs :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here