Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which of our players are most likely to be targets of other clubs?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Could we afford Wilshere even on a reduced wage? I suspect he’s in a different level when it comes to wages. He’ll end up at Everton probably where they seem prepared to throw big money around.

Not outside of Goodison they don't. The whole yard is a DUMP.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually, maybe it won’t be a player and will be Winstanley?!

With all the money spent in the premier league, a lot of chairman must be pissed off that we’ve signed true premier league quality in Ryan, Schelotto, Propper, Gross and Jose for under £40 million this season.

Not to mention Knockaert, Duffy and Bong previously for a combined total of approx £7.5 million.

In fact, the 14 players we used today cost less in total than Aubameyang.

Not a problem - #BringTheBurkerBack

It makes perfect sense.

Winstano's team is one win away from safety.
Quarter finalists of the FA Cup.
palace in a relegation fight.
It's 05.03.
The Season ends 13.05.

Until the next wave of new signings arrive and one scuffs a shot v Worthing, this place has NOTHING to moan about.
All of that goes with Burker back at the helm, and NSC can be batshite crazy for a full 12 months.

Think of the advertising revenue.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Future England centre half? got to be £50 plus add on's in this market.Gross to Leicester for £ 25 m Knocy to a big spending Championship club and we buy Oliver Burke £20 m from a relegated WBA as his replacement. Just saying like.

Oliver Burke for £20m? Thank goodness you’re not in charge of recruitment :wink:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I do believe that.

However, everyone/everything has a price.

It's not just a business for Tony Bloom. He's not going to get offered much for The Albion (more money than we can imagine but in football terms not a lot) and 2 or 3 seasons in the PL will get him a lot of his money back. Tony is a fan and looks like he wants to take the club further than it's ever been.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So are you saying Van Dijk is 3 times better than Dunk?
Is that with or without the premium paid for Home Grown Players?
You fundamentally fail to understand the transfer market if you're asking questions like that. VVD might only need to be 5% better than Dunk to command 3 times as much money because in any given game, that extra 5% might be all it takes to win 1-0 rather than draw 1-1. Football is about fine margins and huge transfer fees and salaries are paid out to get that extra 5% ability.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I saw someone bemoan the possibility that we'll lose players as their contracts run out, but I see it as a good thing. Our current squad is strong, and with our lack of catastrophic injuries is looking very competitive. Our 2nd string is also far stronger than I'd have expected so soon after promotion, but we will have a chunk more cash to spend next season, and on the assumption that we stay up I'd expect us to further strengthen in key areas.

Looking at this:

http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...-Hove-Albion-squad-contract-durations-2017-18

GOALKEEPERS
1. Mathew Ryan June 30 2022
12. Niki Maenpaa June 30 2018
26. Tim Krul June 30 2018 - HGP

DEFENDERS
2. Bruno Saltor June 30 2018
3. Gaetan Bong June 30 2018
4. Uwe Huenemeier June 30 2018
5. Lewis Dunk June 30 2022 - HGP
18. Connor Goldson June 30 2020 - HGP
21. Ezequiel Schelotto June 30 2020
22. Shane Duffy June 30 2021 - HGP
23. Liam Rosenior June 30 2018 - HGP
29. Markus Suttner June 30 2020

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS
6. Dale Stephens June 30 2021 - HGP
7. Beram Kayal June 30 2019
13. Pascal Gross June 30 2021
14. Steve Sidwell June 30 2018 - HGP
24. Davy Propper June 30 2021

WIDE MIDFIELDERS
8. Jiri Skalak June 30 2019
11. Anthony Knockaert June 30 2022
15. Jamie Murphy June 30 2019
19. Jose Izquierdo June 30 2021
20. Solomon March June 30 2020 - HGP

FORWARDS
9. Sam Baldock June 30 2020 - HGP
10. Tomer Hemed June 30 2019

17. Glenn Murray June 30 2019
? Sam Baldock
? Jurgen Locadia

Other Premier League-eligible first team squad member
37. Izzy Brown Loan from Chelsea until end of season

Over-21 squad members currently out on loan:

Christian Walton (On season-long loan at Wigan Athletic) June 30 2021
Rohan Ince (On season-long loan at Bury) June 30 2018
Oliver Norwood (On season-long loan at Fulham) June 30 2019

Richie Towell (On season-long loan at Rotherham) June 30 2019 - Loan again

Over-21 squad members not out on loan:

Soufyan Ahannach June 30 2020
Kazenga LuaLua June 30 2018

Which would leave us with 18 players (assuming Ulloa goes back, Towell and Baldock go on loan).

7 places to strengthen.

Is it too early to throw Walton is a no 2? If not loan out again. Which leaves a slot there. 1

If Huenemeier leaves Ben White could step up or we get in a replacement - a lot will also depend on what happens with Dunk. If he leaves we need 2 in the squad either way.

Midfield - we'd only have Stephens / Propper / Kayal / Gross - so I think we need 2 new players in there.

Wingers - Knochaert / Izquierdo / March - need another player, even if Locadia can switch. 1

Strikers - Murray / Locadia as the base - need 2 more of similar quality.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Out of contract :

Krul
Maenpaa
Bruno
Rosenior
Huenemeier
Sidwell
Ince

Arranged sale :

Murphy

Possible sales :

Towell
Norwood
Hemed
Baldock
Skalak

Possible buy / we have agreement to buy :

Ulloa

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You fundamentally fail to understand the transfer market if you're asking questions like that. VVD might only need to be 5% better than Dunk to command 3 times as much money because in any given game, that extra 5% might be all it takes to win 1-0 rather than draw 1-1. Football is about fine margins and huge transfer fees and salaries are paid out to get that extra 5% ability.

True.

And VVD is world class. The media don't talk about Liverpool's defence any more, I wonder why. In the live Liverpool games on BT/Sky, he's effortlessly good at everything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough I hadn't thought in that context.
But even with that in mind clearly LD isn't a £75m but I do think he's a cut above all the others in the 'only £30m' bracket.

Liverpool's defense isn't being talked about since VVD's arrival because before then it was a basket case.
I'd hazard a guess any ball playing centre back could have improved their play, esp as Klopp seems to have, slightly, reined in his inner Keegan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair enough I hadn't thought in that context.
But even with that in mind clearly LD isn't a £75m but I do think he's a cut above all the others in the 'only £30m' bracket.

Liverpool's defense isn't being talked about since VVD's arrival because before then it was a basket case.
I'd hazard a guess any ball playing centre back could have improved their play, esp as Klopp seems to have, slightly, reined in his inner Keegan.

I pretty much agree with that, except to say I think he could have bought several centre backs that wouldn't have improved his team at all. VVD is clearly very very good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I pretty much agree with that, except to say I think he could have bought several centre backs that wouldn't have improved his team at all. VVD is clearly very very good.

Yeah improving Liverpool as well as their defense, on the cheap, would have been a job for Dunk not Duffy, or both of them, but certainly not our Shane.

Bless him.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think people are getting carried away. We're only going to sell players to six clubs as all the others can be considered sideways moves. How many of our players are likely to be wanted by those clubs (the ones playing or hoping to play Champions League football)? I think there are factors that will count against all of them.

Dunk is the popular answer but he'll be 27 in the early part of next season which is too old to be bought by one of the top clubs for potential. If you buy a player at that age they have to be ready to perform at the top level right now. Is a player who has played one season of PL football likely to be on the radar of Pep, Jurgen or Jose? I'm doubtful.

Gross doesn't have the pace to tempt one of the top six, Izquierdo has been great for the last six matches but that's not enough to persuade a big club to offer a huge sum yet, Ryan has been reliable but I don't think anybody is talking about him as the next De Gea or Courtois and Duffy's style won't appeal to foreign managers who want to pass the ball around in defence. All in my opinion of course.

This sounds like I'm criticising our players. I'm really not. All those mentioned have been fantastic this season for us and I'm a big fan of each individually, but there is a huge gulf between meeting our expectations and a top six club wanting to pay £30m for them.

So to answer the question, I am hopeful that we would start next season with no more than one departure.

Agree with this. Both West Ham and Everton can offer a massive pay rise to a player like Dunk and possibly an England call up. Both are big clubs who i wouldn't say was a sideways move.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Excellent players get relegated too - Pascal Gross.

Oh I agree, there are probably a few players in each premier side relegated that can cut it. The clubs going down though will want top value because with the parachute money they will want to bounce right back and take a risk for a season, Value that I think can be more than matched looking elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the flip side, you'd have to think after this weekend next season recruitment just got a whole lot easier.
Even so if big money comes in for the new boys, it ought to be seriously considered.

For the time being the Albion needs to be seen as a club that won't hold back players from even greater riches.

Luckily there isn't enough money, in football, to match Gross' value!

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Ryan (I understand) is a boyhood Arsenal fan, but he'd never go there while Wenger's in charge as Wenger loves tall players...especially keepers.

So maybe the new Arsenal manager will want him...in a week's time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
2016 RB Leipzig £ 13 m

2017 WBA £15 m

A truly talented player that has lost his way, in this inflated market got to be worth £20 m with the right team and set up.

He's never found his way. That's the problem. Moved from Forest as a player with potential - did nothing significant in Germany. Regarded there as super fast but no football brain, and what's changed since?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here