Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Saw Three Billboards at the weekend. Excellent performance by Frances McDormand in the lead role and can see why she has been nominated for Best Actress. Sam Rockwell gives a convincing performance too. Lots of good dialogue and black comedy. My only quibble was I found the end to the film a little underwhelming in the sense that it left things up in the air. But then I think that kind of played with the Director's liking for ambiguity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just back from matinee of The Post at the Duke Of York's. Curiously flat script and lifeless performances. Not really able to engage with either. Also, runs many of the stock cliches (unthreatening rioters, unpushy pushy press throng, big city traffic screeching to a halt in front of character in a hurry etc etc) Labours the question: who is the press run for the benefit of: those who govern or those who are governed? Guess we all like to think we know the answer to that one. A rare Spielberg turkey IMHO. 5/10.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Saw Three Billboards at the weekend. Excellent performance by Frances McDormand in the lead role and can see why she has been nominated for Best Actress. Sam Rockwell gives a convincing performance too. Lots of good dialogue and black comedy. My only quibble was I found the end to the film a little underwhelming in the sense that it left things up in the air. But then I think that kind of played with the Director's liking for ambiguity.

I liked the ending, but I sort of linked the bad guy with a real event in the sandy place and let my imagination run away a bit.

Being vague as don't wish to be a spoiler :wink:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The shape of water is excellent.
Usual quirky feel as is with most Guillermo del Toro films and I doubt it will be to everyone's taste, but me and the Mrs thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also watch a film called Remember, about an OAP with dementia who is sent out on a mission of sorts, to track down the Nazi in charge of the concentration camp who killed the family of a man he knows.
Probably my favourite film of the past few months, well worth a watch.

Watched remember after seeing your post. It was indeed worth the watch.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just back from matinee of The Post at the Duke Of York's. Curiously flat script and lifeless performances. Not really able to engage with either. Also, runs many of the stock cliches (unthreatening rioters, unpushy pushy press throng, big city traffic screeching to a halt in front of character in a hurry etc etc) Labours the question: who is the press run for the benefit of: those who govern or those who are governed? Guess we all like to think we know the answer to that one. A rare Spielberg turkey IMHO. 5/10.

I went to see Chasin' Trane there last Sunday ..... the audience were as entertaining as the film :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I went to see Chasin' Trane there last Sunday ..... the audience were as entertaining as the film :lolol:

Have to admit my review of the film may have been slightly jaundiced (tho only by a single point out of ten) by the fact that although I bagged my favourite pole position, outside seat on the back row bank of three seats on the right hand side nearest the door, the old bat on the inside lane fell asleep and snored gently as soon as the opening credits rolled. She only woke up when a phone rang in the film - luckily frequently - or when the snoring got too much and I felt compelled to forcibly rock the row of seats to momentarily wake her from her slumbers. Still asking myself why I didn't just move. Either that or smother her with a seat cushion. Sake!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Have to admit my review of the film may have been slightly jaundiced (tho only by a single point out of ten) by the fact that although I bagged my favourite pole position, outside seat on the back row bank of three seats on the right hand side nearest the door, the old bat on the inside lane fell asleep and snored gently as soon as the opening credits rolled. She only woke up when a phone rang in the film - luckily frequently - or when the snoring got too much and I felt compelled to forcibly rock the row of seats to momentarily wake her from her slumbers. Still asking myself why I didn't just move. Either that or smother her with a seat cushion. Sake!

well ... somebody opened a bag of malteasers a bit too violently and they rolled down the aisle. Every time a 'jazza' went to the loo there was a small crunch sound .... so quite often :lolol:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw The Post this afternoon (wondering if there was going to be some transfer business to happen whilst I was in the film) and whilst I thought it was good, well acted, there was just something ever so slightly lacking, which I can't put my finger on. Still think for me, Darkest Hour my favourite film of the year so far.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I went to see 3 Billboards last night at ODEON Luxe Haymarket. I really enjoyed the movie, the humour was very dark, very me. Nice comfortable reclining seats too. Could have easily fallen asleep if the movie turned out shit.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw The Post this afternoon (wondering if there was going to be some transfer business to happen whilst I was in the film) and whilst I thought it was good, well acted, there was just something ever so slightly lacking, which I can't put my finger on. Still think for me, Darkest Hour my favourite film of the year so far.

The Post is very good imo but would not get in my top 20 Spielberg films

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Me neither. Whilst not a misfire, it wasn't up to his best stuff.

Not sure what to see next. Maybe the Denzel Washington one...anyone seen it yet? The Helen Mirren ghost one is supposed to be gash...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We went to see "The Post" last night.

Frankly, I found it thoroughly boring... no sense of drama, little that was good to look at, and pretty ordinary acting throughout The only good bit of cinematography was when the presses were rolling.

And what a waste of John William's talents - surely one of his poorest film scores ever (other than the brief piano interlude when Streep was deciding whether to publish or not).

Please don't bother making the signalled sequel.

4 / 10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We went to see "The Post" last night.

Frankly, I found it thoroughly boring... no sense of drama, little that was good to look at, and pretty ordinary acting throughout The only good bit of cinematography was when the presses were rolling.

And what a waste of John William's talents - surely one of his poorest film scores ever (other than the brief piano interlude when Streep was deciding whether to publish or not).

Please don't bother making the signalled sequel.

4 / 10

Agreed the first hour was slow but the second half was very good imo. I doubt however I think it will make my top 10 films of 2018. Spielberg by numbers. The fella can do this in his sleep

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Only the brave. Very good film, great casting and quite an emotional ending.
Miles Teller and Josh Brolin are excellent throughout. 8/10

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Hi Uncle Spielberg,

We watched Darkest Hour today. It's an exceptional movie, an incredible performance by Oldman, with great performances from Ben Mendelsohn and Ronald Pickup. I'm not one for picking historical holes, so will simply rely on two life long Churchill experts and biographers who said on Radio 4 ths week that it was a magnificent portrayal of Churchill and of those weeks.

The scene on the Underground was so moving.

90%.

Only just got round to seeing this. This is how I felt. Oldman, as always, was an absolute delight.

Strangely, I felt more emotion and passion in this than I ever did Nolan’s Dunkirk, which obviously covers the same period from a totally different perspective. A large part of that was probably because the characters felt real to me, imbued by fantastic performances and brilliant writing (I even enjoyed the underground scene).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Three Billboards last night. Really enjoyed it, brilliant script, excellent acting, loved Sam Rockwell as always. Hated the end though, it felt like they didn't know ow where it was going so it just finished, bit of a let down from an otherwise fantastic movie. 8.5/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. Lewes Depot. Sold Out. This is a great film. A Wonderful script with some hilarious dark humour. McDiormid is a shue in for the Oscar best actress. Her performance was sublime in a very difficult role. She nailed it. Equally impressive was Rockwell as a slightly thick and backward Police Officer who found redemption by the end. He for me should win best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Harrelson shone as well, this guy gets better and better with age. The ending has got some derision but I agree with Kermode in that is was perfect in that it left it open ended and left the audience to imagine the events after and the decisions they made.

The pieces were not neatly tied together in a bow for the audience and that took a brave call. Carter Burwell's score was magnificent and moody, a great new film composer. It was a tough decision but it did not overall beat Darkest Hour 91 for me but was a very worthy film and gets an 89 out of 100. Better than the Post 86

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It has been a very strong start to the year

Darkest Hour 91
Three Billboards 89
The Post 86

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. Lewes Depot. Sold Out. This is a great film. A Wonderful script with some hilarious dark humour. McDiormid is a shue in for the Oscar best actress. Her performance was sublime in a very difficult role. She nailed it. Equally impressive was Rockwell as a slightly thick and backward Police Officer who found redemption by the end. He for me should win best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Harrelson shone as well, this guy gets better and better with age. The ending has got some derision but I agree with Kermode in that is was perfect in that it left it open ended and left the audience to imagine the events after and the decisions they made.

The pieces were not neatly tied together in a bow for the audience and that took a brave call. Carter Burwell's score was magnificent and moody, a great new film composer. It was a tough decision but it did not overall beat Darkest Hour 91 for me but was a very worthy film and gets an 89 out of 100. Better than the Post 86

Carter Burwell's Majestic theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Diz7r2xa7c

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here