Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Derby had some injuries to some of their class central midfielders at the beginning of the season including Hughes. Instead of some sensible loans to cover, they spooged millions on Butterfield & Johnson. They now seem to be benching some of their star performers like Bryson; with Bent not even making their squad now - I can't envisage a happy dressing room.

An unhappy dressing room may be a big part. They seemed on course last year brought big in January and seemed to kill their own team spirit by leaving good players who had got them to the top out. Bent is a good goal scorer and at this level you would expect him to have bagged a fair few goals or get a run in the side. Him not even being in the squad would ring alarm bells that something is not quite right there either. It's not a massive slump yet. Worst case they are just 3poibts behind us once we have played the same amount of games.
They can turn it around if they get their heads together but another 4/5 games of this slump could see them drop away

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Agree that fans are OK, and the general ethos of the club is fine. I too thought they were very unlucky not to go up two seasons ago, and fully deserved to do so.

Where I am with the sentiment on this thread is the manager. Clement consistently pisses me off with his curt interviewing attitude that gives little or no respect or even acknowledgement to the opposition. Last nights - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35406635 - was typical. Never mentioned Preston by name, just referred to their defensive lineup and tendency to play direct football. Best he could muster was that the opposition was well organised. What did he expect? A video of them at Amex would have told him all he need to know of their approach.

Excellent interviewer BTW who was not afraid to raise issue that Clement's job might be under threat, difficulty with crowd and challenging that no shots on target. Makes our interviewer look a bit patsy by comparison

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking forward to seeing whether Derby or Middlesbrough try to hoover up all the available strikers in the loan window just to prevent them going elsewhere :jester:

Luckily Murray wants to be a drivable daily commute from Brighton, unluckily Eddie Howe is smug, and currently not sanctioning the loan.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Looking forward to seeing whether Derby or Middlesbrough try to hoover up all the available strikers in the loan window just to prevent them going elsewhere :jester:

I can imagine Derby trying something like that but they just lose their cohesion anyway. As long as we get one I don't really care what they do tbh. Hull and 'boro should be our targets for the rest of the season.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I used to like Derby...

- A proper football club with good heritage.
- A fantastic level of support that didn't really drop away when they were treading water in the Championship.
- A good stadium that's not like all the other identikit bowls built around the same time.
- An ethos for bringing through their own.
- Look to play decent football.

I was genuinely disappointed for them when they failed to go up after beating us in the playoffs and I took no delight in their implosion last season.

This season, however, I really don't like them at all. Implode away again, Derby please.

Looking at last nights stats vrs Preston, Possession Derby 66%, Preston 34%
Shots Derby 16 Preston 11
On Target Derby 0 Preston 4

Looks like the implosion may have started, here's keeping my fingers crossed. or should I say Our fingers crossed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to like Derby...

- A proper football club with good heritage.
- A fantastic level of support that didn't really drop away when they were treading water in the Championship.
- A good stadium that's not like all the other identikit bowls built around the same time.
- An ethos for bringing through their own.
- Look to play decent football.

I was genuinely disappointed for them when they failed to go up after beating us in the playoffs and I took no delight in their implosion last season.

This season, however, I really don't like them at all. Implode away again, Derby please.

I pretty much agree with all of this really. In fact my family have libnks with Derby, in that my Uncle Jack, captained their 1945/46 FA Cup winning side, in a 4-1 victory over Charlton Athetic, still I believe the oldest FA Cup winning captain ever, at 35.

Another abnormality about that season's competition, was that every round, apart from the final, was played over two legs, home and away. As there had been no league football over the preceding war years, this was done to maximise revenue for the competing clubs.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Lived in Derby for five years, so sort of have a soft spot for them. Decent players and largely decent fans, but I'm still quite happy to see them floundering. Burnley and Hull have had their chance at the Premier League in recent times, so would be very happy for us to go up with Boro. Couple of wins in our next two will see us right back in the mix.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never had anything against Derby until the game at theirs in December when their fans were total muppets.

Their fans were grim during the return play off game two years ago. I had always enjoyed going to Derby before that. Then McClaren was grossly ungracious when we beat them last season at the Amex with our two 'poor' goals.
I agree they were total muppets booing Calderon and March for their injuries. No class.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
This is what I posted on the matchday thread in Dec. Bears repeating. I dearly hope they miss out.

I exchanged words with some Derby on the way back.
It pretty much went like this:

Them: some of your lot were being arrogant in the pub beforehand.
Me: we're enjoying ourselves, you gotta savour times like this.
Them: they weren't like your normal lot, not pleasant, said you would win three nil
Me: they're just having a laugh - no harm done
Them: you weren't like that when we beat you in the play offs
Me: yeah well you were playing our reserves in the second leg
Them: this lot were different - must be new
Me: doubt it - we're confident & they're pulling your chain a bit
Them: the time wasting was over the top.
Me: nah - par for the course - what there was of it.
Them: your lot were going down at the slightest touch
Me: I saw that. Especially the lad stretchered off & the fella with head stitches
Them: Brighton's football was boring.
Me: yeah playing 442 and leading twice away from home sent me to sleep.
Them: our fans don't mind Zamora
Me: I noticed that when we sang his name
Them: your squad is thin, you won't keep it up.
Me: we already are, but that's the risk you take when you don't spend £20m
Them: we'll go up automatically, probably with Boro.
Me: you must be getting fed up of saying that every year.
Them: you didn't bring many
Me: yeah - thought it would be more but not awful 2 weeks before Christmas. You coming to Brighton?
Them: dunno. We get off here.
Me: you live in Loughborough?
Them: yeah
Me: :lol:

It was all fairly good natured but their sense of entitlement just could not handle little old Brighton giving them a scare. They were so busy repeating themselves they hardly clocked what I said. You could almost smell the fear that they would choke again as they convinced themselves that all was good. Sad really.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I prefer Derby to Forest

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You just know they will make the play offs, play us and humiliate us again, and lose in the final. Not too negative am I?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Had a dream the other night that we lost 10-0 to Derby. Wasn't at the game or watching or listening - just getting updates on my phone. We were 1-0 down after a minute, 3-0 down 15 minutes in. Early in the second half I looked again, and it was 6-0. Couldn't understand what was going on. No red cards, so that didn't explain it. I knew we had injuries in defence, but Dunk and Goldson couldn't both be playing that badly surely? I noticed that three of the six goals were penalties. But even if it was a dodgy ref, surely we shouldn't be six down? Next time I looked it was 8-0. Then, on about 85 mins, I saw they had scored a ninth. Knew they were going to get to double figures then. Even my gf (no interest in football whatsoever) comforted me, saying she'd seen about it on the news. 10-0. Ten bloody nil! I hate Derby now, too.

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Had a dream the other night that we lost 10-0 to Derby. Wasn't at the game or watching or listening - just getting updates on my phone. We were 1-0 down after a minute, 3-0 down 15 minutes in. Early in the second half I looked again, and it was 6-0. Couldn't understand what was going on. No red cards, so that didn't explain it. I knew we had injuries in defence, but Dunk and Goldson couldn't both be playing that badly surely? I noticed that three of the six goals were penalties. But even if it was a dodgy ref, surely we shouldn't be six down? Next time I looked it was 8-0. Then, on about 85 mins, I saw they had scored a ninth. Knew they were going to get to double figures then. Even my gf (no interest in football whatsoever) comforted me, saying she'd seen about it on the news. 10-0. Ten bloody nil! I hate Derby now, too.

Cool story.
Bro.
Too much cheese one thinks.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Derby is the exact same stadium as the riverside. Derby used the plans from the riverside to build their stadium. The only difference, we have around 800 more seats and they have a few more executive boxes.

There is a huge difference though.

They can fill there stadium more than once a season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't have anything against Derby, but I always enjoy seeing other teams regularly collapse. I enjoyed it when Cardiff did it (until they finally went up), and I'm enjoying that it currently looks like Derby are doing it again (while being fully aware it could just be that poor run every top 6 team has before coming good)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here