Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The January Transfer Window

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dagenham striker Oliver Hawkins, 24, could move from the National League to the Championship in January, with Nottingham Forest, Brighton and Ipswich among those following his progress.(London Evening Standard)

2 Oliver's in the same team.
How very middle class. [emoji38]

That'll be the 5th choice striker, not the main singing I reckon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We won't get our man until the last few days of the window, bit of a merry go round at the moment especially with strikers.

Relax.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
West Ham have had a £12.5m bid for Scott Hogan rejected as Brentford want £15m for the 24-year-old striker. (Daily Mail)

I know he's a striker, so it's always going to be an insane number, but £15m sounds crazy. I vaguely remember him last season as being constantly injured, does one good championship season equate to that kind of money?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know he's a striker, so it's always going to be an insane number, but £15m sounds crazy. I vaguely remember him last season as being constantly injured, does one good championship season equate to that kind of money?
Yep and the nimrods on here still can't work out why these names are never going to sign for Championship Albion.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yep and the nimrods on here still can't work out why these names are never going to sign for Championship Albion.

I tend to read those posts more as blind hope. I'd actually be very worried if we (well, TB) splurged £15m on a striker like that, definitely consider it a high risk strategy. I know that marquee signings have their place, but I'd much rather that sort of money was spent on ~3 decent players elsewhere along the field. Duffy for instance has been an amazing buy, although I bet 90% of people would have preferred we'd signed Hogan for £10m.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I tend to read those posts more as blind hope. I'd actually be very worried if we (well, TB) splurged £15m on a striker like that, definitely consider it a high risk strategy. I know that marquee signings have their place, but I'd much rather that sort of money was spent on ~3 decent players elsewhere along the field. Duffy for instance has been an amazing buy, although I bet 90% of people would have preferred we'd signed Hogan for £10m.

Well those 90% are clearly stupid then!

We now have the tightest defence in the EFL and are currently fifth highest scorers in the Championship. That to me appears to indicate we have a good blend between our goalscoring options and a solid defence.

Having said that I do concede that we could do with some cover up front - cover though, not a replacement. That obviously means you aren't going to be signing a marque striker to then sit on the bench, which pretty much eliminates loan signings from the Premier League or big money signings from anywhere.

I'm more inclined to think it will be a signing where people will go "who"?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Apologies if I missed this but Swansea have agreed a fee of £5m for Norwich's Martin Olsson. Is it me or is that silly money based on his performance at the Amex. Dunk must be worth £20m in that case.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

We now have the tightest defence in the EFL and are currently fifth highest scorers in the Championship. That to me appears to indicate we have a good blend between our goalscoring options and a solid defence.

Having said that I do concede that we could do with some cover up front - cover though, not a replacement. That obviously means you aren't going to be signing a marque striker to then sit on the bench, which pretty much eliminates loan signings from the Premier League or big money signings from anywhere.

Akpom from Arsenal (and who knows this league) would fit the bill I think - http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-trio-chasing-deal-for-arsenal-striker/

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Apologies if I missed this but Swansea have agreed a fee of £5m for Norwich's Martin Olsson. Is it me or is that silly money based on his performance at the Amex. Dunk must be worth £20m in that case.

Having to sell before he buys.
In true Norwich scouting fashion they will hijack someone's forward purchase.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We should strive to improve on what we have. This means signing, at the very least, a striker who is as good as Sam B (real competition), but preferably to replace him.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We should strive to improve on what we have. This means signing, at the very least, a striker who is as good as Sam B (real competition), but preferably to replace him.

Why? Why attempt to replace Baldock now? The team is working perfectly well as it is and needs cover. - not replacement. Do that when/if we get promotion if deemed necessary!

While you're at it why not replace Murray too, after all Murray isn't even our player!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why? Why attempt to replace Baldock now? The team is working perfectly well as it is and needs cover. - not replacement. Do that when/if we get promotion if deemed necessary!

While you're at it why not replace Murray too, after all Murray isn't even our player!

Correct.....get some decent cover for Sam to take us through till the end of the season. If we're up, CH and the recruitment team can then set about securing the targets they undoubtedly already have in their sights for the PL over the summer.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Because Baldock needs serious competition for his place, competition drives up performance

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Because Baldock needs serious competition for his place, competition drives up performance

Mostly but not always,that said we need to not let the window pass without signing a striker,preferably two.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here