Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2017-18 Fixtures [Home to Man City - first game]

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Nah.

'United' and 'City' are (currently, if not historically) THE 'United' and 'City'.

Everybody (bar a supporter of one of the other clubs named United or City) would immediately understand who you were referring to.

Manchester United aren't even a proper "United". They've two clubs in their city, how's that "United"?

If saying "Manchester" first is too much of an effort, just call them "Man U" as we did throughout the 90s and 00s.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
October holiday out of the window
I know many of us run for the sun over the international break during the first two weeks of October, missing the away game that is either before or after the international matches . Not this year. Arsenal away (will be moved to either Sunday or more likely Monday 2 October) and then Everton at home on the 14 October means no 14 day gap.

Brighton's and Hove ua have changed the October half term from 1 week to 2 and therefore it's holiday out of the country for at least a week of it. We will be booking after our summer holiday so I hope we will know by the end of Aug which ones will be changed in October.......

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
New FOREIGN keeper in goal for City. Won't speak the language. Won't know his defence well. Won't like the ball lobbed on top of him. WIll panic at corners.
John Stones is there to be got at. He fell over twice last night when turned. AK will have a FIELD DAY.
Two new wing backs are likely to be deployed by pep. Jamie Murphys direct running will have them panicking.
Yaya's legs have GONE. Pascal Gross will be a free man, gliding into space able to test his luck against the NOVICE in goal.
David Silva may think he's a clever little sod but DALE will put a REDUCER on him nice and early. Welcome to the AMEX you floppy haired Spanish poodle.
Sergio Aguero? Gabriel Jesus? Leroy Sane? Don't make me laugh. DUFFMEISTER and DUNKATHON are going to be LAUGHING when your fancy little stepovers get CRUNCHED by PROPER FOOTBALLERS.

And Pep? You think you can outsmart Chris? Really? Ever heard of COUNTER ATTACK? Press all you like mate. We've got you.

or we are going to lose 4-0.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Which games are likely to move because of cup fixtures?

I assume FA cups round 3 & 4 and League Cup round 2 are played on weekends / weekdays where no fixtures take place anyway?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It's weird when you look at a fixture list and you look at Newcastle as one of the less difficult matches.

For me it doesn't matter when you have to play teams you know you need to pick up points to stay up. For me the only thing I wanted but didn't get was all the difficult matches before the transfer window closes - Simply because I would want the full squad to be in place when the ones where your more likely to pick up points come along.

However, all in all, you have to play them sometime and that's the reason you want to be in this league. To pit your wits against the best.

I think when you play teams is important, but each club's ambitions would be better helped by different permutations.

I want a nigh impossible game to start with like Chelsea away, give the lads a shock and then on to some tricky fixtures where we could get some points like West Brom at home, Bournemouth away. I want easier fixtures over Christmas, hopefully geographically close to the last Burnley, Huddersfield away and three home fixtures. I want a run in against sides who're likely to be safe, but unlikely to get Europe, West Brom, Watford, Southampton and that lot.

I want to meet the big clubs just before or just after a European games.

As it stands we (Newcastle) have a decent start to the season but a bitch of a December and not a great run in.

Forgot to say, for teams aiming for midtable obscurity, like Bournemouth, packing all the tough games at the end of the season is perfect. Race to 40pts, then down tools, as Pulis does every season.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
For me the only thing I wanted but didn't get was all the difficult matches before the transfer window closes - .

You wanted all the difficult games before 31st August! I think you had two hopes of getting that!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You wanted all the difficult games before 31st August! I think you had two hopes of getting that!

To be fair, I can't see one easy game in that list...but that is what it is all about. If you were pessimistic you would question where the points are going to come from, optimistic you would be looking at winning most of your home games and snatching an occasional win away.....it's going to be vital we get points at home ( no shit Sherlock)

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Sheffield United and Dundee United are not proper Uniteds either then?

Confusing

Sheffield United FC were formed as an offshoot of Sheffield United Cricket Club - which were the first sports club to be called 'United' as they included the amalgamation of several Cricket Clubs, including the Wednesday Cricket Club.

Dundee United were originally formed as Dundee Hibernian but changed their name to 'widen their appeal'.

glassraise.gif

LestahFox

Jun 14, 2017
Hi all, Leicester fan in peace here.

Just wanted to wish you all the best for the upcoming season! Buzzing for our home game against you. Looking forward to seeing Knocky back at the KP, love that guy!

Hope you stay up and don't see any reason why you shouldn't. Also if we don't want Ulloa anymore would you take him back?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
'Coming off, number 33 Gabriel Jesus'

'WHO? ???

'And coming on, number 10 Sergio Aguero'

'WHO? ???

I actually LIKE the WHOOOOOOOOOO? when it is for 'your Agueros or your Ibrahimovics' #AndyTownsend

Its funny then, unlike when 18 year old Johnny Heckinthwaite comes on for Bury.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Who will have the most points after the first match? Brighton or Burnley?

We are away at Chelsea:) Our first away game last year (0-3)

In our four PL seasons, the first game has gone: Stoke 2 Burnley 0 (2009/10), Burnley 1 Chelsea 3 (2014/15) Burnley 0 Swansea 1 (2016/17)

Things can only get better? Probably not.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Put on the wrong thread by mistake:

Opening Day of the season:

Arsenal vs Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City
Chelsea vs Burnley
Crystal Palace vs Huddersfield Town
Everton vs Stoke City
Manchester United vs West Ham United