Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bong Bashing

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really like Gaetan Bong a lot and this year he has been in and out of form. Nowhere near as bad as some people suggest on here mind you.

That said, this is a ''football forum'' for BHA, their players their manager, their chairman, their ground and everything else in between. The original post on this thread is a good and valid topic to discuss but the people who don't think Bong has been playing great have the same right to discuss that on forums like this. Otherwise what is the point, you might as well just close down the site.

I don't think the criticism has been excessive and every player gets it in the neck at some point. Except Knockeart, who seems immune from criticism. Well for the most part anyhow.

So I say, those who want to pass their opinions good and bad on the players and everyone else then that's what a democratic forum like this is all about, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I always tend to gage the criticism and praise on the Players and Manager by how often Ernest refers to Chris Hughton as a DULLARD and so far thankfully we must be doing a lot of things right because I think he has only called him a DULLARD once or twice in the whole of the season to date and also stretching back to January this year.

That is an achievement ! - So I don't think there has been too much abuse for any players, just peoples open opinions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really like Gaetan Bong a lot and this year he has been in and out of form. Nowhere near as bad as some people suggest on here mind you.

That said, this is a ''football forum'' for BHA, their players their manager, their chairman, their ground and everything else in between. The original post on this thread is a good and valid topic to discuss but the people who don't think Bong has been playing great have the same right to discuss that on forums like this. Otherwise what is the point, you might as well just close down the site.

I don't think the criticism has been excessive and every player gets it in the neck at some point. Except Knockeart, who seems immune from criticism. Well for the most part anyhow.

So I say, those who want to pass their opinions good and bad on the players and everyone else then that's what a democratic forum like this is all about, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I always tend to gage the criticism and praise on the Players and Manager by how often Ernest refers to Chris Hughton as a DULLARD and so far thankfully we must be doing a lot of things right because I think he has only called him a DULLARD once or twice in the whole of the season to date and also stretching back to January this year.

That is an achievement ! - So I don't think there has been too much abuse for any players, just peoples open opinions.

The criticism on the radio was absolutely excessive. 'Get rid' ??!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Some proper muppets about bong is very good and everytime we falter slightly everyone blames bong I think he s had a couple of off games like all players well unfair to single him out.he is decent

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I dont think that is true as his performance against a very difficult opponent was satisfactory followed by another very good wide player on the right today who he got to grips with.
Depends how you classify satisfactory.
Pretty much every time they attacked he was beaten by Albert Adomah or when Bong was going forward he was intercepted by him.
As others have said though, he wasn't the only one having a shocker last Friday, but his performance did stand out in that respect

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was very poor first half, but very good 2nd half.

It's the inconistency with Bong which frustrates

Aside from Stockdale, Dunk and Murphy, I don't think anyone played well first half. I wouldn't say Bong was any worse than the rest of the side and I too find the criticism he seems to receive to be excessive. Generally he's a very good left back for this level.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To be fair, Bong was utter dog shit in the first half. He did improve in the second half, but he could hardly have done any worse. As others have said, I was also a bit concerned by Bruno being caught out of position so much.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I assume CH put a rocket under Bong and Baldock at half time, because they had excellent second halves and Bong played a key part in the winning goal. But I couldn't see past Stockdale for MoM - three excellent saves that kept us in the game.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Aside from Stockdale, Dunk and Murphy, I don't think anyone played well first half. I wouldn't say Bong was any worse than the rest of the side and I too find the criticism he seems to receive to be excessive. Generally he's a very good left back for this level.

Stockdale mistake cost us a goal

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale mistake cost us a goal

Stockdale's saves won us the points. We'd have lost 2 or 3-0 today without him when you consider the timing of all the saves.

As for the mistake, that was Duffy's. Beaten in the air again for a goal we've conceded... it's becoming a worrying regularity.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If people are going to try and assess individual players rather than just sit and enjoy the match to the extent that they think they know so much about the game that they are prepared to go on the radio and say things like get rid etc, then, especially for defenders, try seeing what they do when they have not got the ball, it is almost as important as when they are in possession the positioning of a defender alone can nullify a dangerous attacker.
Sometimes players can look as if they are not even in the game, leading to abuse, when in fact they are doing far more than you think, that is why they are pro footballers and the moaners are spectators, people are entitled to their opinion but if you are going to open your mouth at least try and talk a little common sense rather than just slag off for the sake of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's something very very wrong with the mentality of Albion fans.

We've always needed to get on the back of 'one of our own', even in this unprecedented winningest 12 months in club history.
We have the very best team playing the very best football any of us have ever seen yet the negativity Bong got in the first half was embarrassing and shameful.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Okay so I am going to go against most on this thread. I am not a 'Bong Basher' but have to say he has generally been poor this season. Before he got injured last year I thought he was immense but this season he is half the player he was. He looks devoid of confidence when on the ball and never closes his winger down but backs off which inevitably ends up with a cross into our box. Maybe he needs sometime out of the firing line! All I can say is the lad from West Brom can't be impressing too much in training not to be given a chance IMO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Okay so I am going to go against most on this thread. I am not a 'Bong Basher' but have to say he has generally been poor this season. Before he got injured last year I thought he was immense but this season he is half the player he was. He looks devoid of confidence when on the ball and never closes his winger down but backs off which inevitably ends up with a cross into our box. Maybe he needs sometime out of the firing line! All I can say is the lad from West Brom can't be impressing too much in training not to be given a chance IMO.

Watching a different game to me.......Bong stood him up every time

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here