Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Televised Matches In Round 5

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Apparently they have to make the decision before the replay, so might not fancy the prospect of Sheffield Utd v PKE?

Fairpoint. However if the Sunderland Southampton game is half as good as the league game then that may get a surprise nod, especially as Poyet is good tv value and the saints have a load of England players now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fairpoint. However if the Sunderland Southampton game is half as good as the league game then that may get a surprise nod, especially as Poyet is good tv value and the saints have a load of England players now.

I had that as one of the five.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think that game is certain to be one of the five- the four all Premier League ties, and then one of us v Hull, Cardiff v Wigan, Fulham/Sheffield Utd v Forest/PKE.

Obviously Sheffield Wednesday:lolol: v Charlton can be entirely discounted.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Wigan will get the fifth one as holders, and we'll be on Saturday 3pm. Close call, though. It won't help that Steve Bruce has made nine changes for Hull in the last two rounds.

We know the whole 'romance of the Cup' thing is just talk and lip service, because when it came to TV decisions in the last round they put on Premier League leaders Arsenal at home to a League One club (routine 4-0 win, what a surprise) rather than say League Two Southend v Hull, a far better choice.

Despite the fact it is a non-tie, Arsenal get more viewers. TV companies witter on for hours about the magic of the FA Cup and will then totally ignore it when there is a real match choice to be made. To be fair, the first 3/4 pick themselves in 5th round.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
True, but I bet Coventry were grateful for the money.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
True, but I bet Coventry were grateful for the money.

The silver lining for me from a bad TV match choice, slavishly going for the Champions League team, was that at least Coventry got to do a protest about the absurd groundshare situation they find themselves in on the box.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Man City vs Chelsea - Need I explain why ?
Arsenal vs Liverpool - Again, need I explain why ?
Everton vs Swansea - Martinez vs his former team and are playing incredibly well this season.
Cardiff vs Wigan - Holders vs a team bottom of the Premier League - chance of a PL team being dumped out.
Sunderland vs Southampton - The Gus Poyet factor, Sunderland already in a cup final and the league game vs the 2 recently was a great TV game.

All games that are better choices than ours.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Everton vs Swansea - Martinez vs his former team and are playing incredibly well this season.
Cardiff vs Wigan - Holders vs a team bottom of the Premier League - chance of a PL team being dumped out.
Sunderland vs Southampton - The Gus Poyet factor, Sunderland already in a cup final and the league game vs the 2 recently was a great TV game.

Pretty much right in my opinion also.:thumbup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We know the whole 'romance of the Cup' thing is just talk and lip service, because when it came to TV decisions in the last round they put on Premier League leaders Arsenal at home to a League One club (routine 4-0 win, what a surprise)

Coventry missed several openings at 2-0 before Arsenal secured the win in the last stages of the game.

Can't really see how Prem leaders vs League One crisis club can possibly be argued as a tv choice.

What IF Coventry had pulled off a draw and the TV companies hadn't chosen it. They wan't to be there for THAT game that will be talked about for years.

sure, the likelyhood is the prem team will win, but thats the whole definition of the underdog.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Presumably it is 5 in 8 televised in the UK, and the other three probably televised abroad also?

Was Arsenal last season not a sat 3pm kick off? That was certainly televised overseas.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
As well as CL games for City & Arsenal 3 or 4 days later, there's a full PL programme midweek before. Knowing how these big clubs get so precious about playing games too close together, I bet the TV companies are having their hands full trying to schedule this. City will play Saturday & Arsenal Sunday, but I suspect TV want them later in the day & the clubs want lunchtime kick offs.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Plus if both teams win their replays then Fulham v Preston could very possibly be on TV, the only league one team left and all that

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Totally! There's also overseas TV to sell to, none of which will be interested in the others (nor even a couple of these!)

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
Just found a website that lists the number of cup matches that TV companies show throughout the competition.

In round 5, BT will be showing 3 live games and ITV will be showing 2 live games.

I think there is a very realistic chance that we will be one of the 5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here