Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You’ve lost me, what’s that got to do with tracking info ? Anyway, sending a text is barely any better - it’s still down to the person receiving it to choose what to do. Don’t touch the phone. Simple.

If I received a text I would pull over and read it then act accordingly having heard the tone to tell me I have a text. As regards the tracking it is easy for them to check if a van is moving if so dont call the driver.quite simple. Check before making the call. I know the onus is on the driver not to answer the phone but he rejected the call because he was driving. As you say dont touch the phone so why give a driver a company phone?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Just a minute, I have to pull over since I left my flies open. I don't want to get a citation for taking my hand off the steering wheel but I also don't want to get a citation for indecent exposure. What should I do?

In case you are wondering I am using voice to text software so I'm not typing this message.

It'd just be nice if you stopped banging it against the window. Really off-putting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I received a text I would pull over and read it then act accordingly having heard the tone to tell me I have a text. As regards the tracking it is easy for them to check if a van is moving if so dont call the driver.quite simple. Check before making the call. I know the onus is on the driver not to answer the phone but he rejected the call because he was driving. As you say dont touch the phone so why give a driver a company phone?

To use when they’re not driving ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my other sons drives a lorry and spend 85% of the day behind the wheel his firm send him a text and ask him to ring when convenient. On hearing the text tone he pulls over when it is convenient to read the text and phone if needed. So simple.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You can also reject a call simply by ignoring it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One of my other sons drives a lorry and spend 85% of the day behind the wheel his firm send him a text and ask him to ring when convenient. On hearing the text tone he pulls over when it is convenient to read the text and phone if needed. So simple.

As before, will mean a lot of wasted stops if the text is from someone else.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm amazed more cabbies don't get pulled over, don't seem to get in a mini-cab these days that doesn't have at least two different screens in front of the driver. They're constantly tapping away confirming a pick-up, registering for the next job, finishing a job (despite being miles from your destination) (or whatever it is that they're doing).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm amazed more cabbies don't get pulled over, don't seem to get in a mini-cab these days that doesn't have at least two different screens in front of the driver. They're constantly tapping away confirming a pick-up, registering for the next job, finishing a job (despite being miles from your destination) (or whatever it is that they're doing).

Posting complaints online about Uber cars most of the time

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If I received a text I would pull over and read it then act accordingly having heard the tone to tell me I have a text.

Unless you switch off the engine and remove the keys from the ignition you can still be given a ticket under the law as you are still considered in control of the motor vehicle even if you are pulled over.

As regards the tracking it is easy for them to check if a van is moving if so dont call the driver.quite simple. Check before making the call. I know the onus is on the driver not to answer the phone but he rejected the call because he was driving. As you say dont touch the phone so why give a driver a company phone?

It's not that simple for everyone in the company to get access to the tracking data in real time at all. It could be another driver out on the road phoning. The tracking data should only be used in the event of a problem of a vehicle being stolen etc not to see if someone is driving at a particular point in time. The onus is on the driver not to touch the phone if he knows he's breaking the law, the company should however provide some sort of hands free kit to enable him to take the calls while driving if they expect their staff to answer the phone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not as simple as ignoring it until you’ve stopped.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hows about playing your favourite 'B' sides?

165146.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I often used to leave a Soduko ready on the passenger seat for traffic jams. I don’t anymore I hasten to add.....

Just wordsearch now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently there is a new law which came into affect in January which states that you can only take your hands off of the steering wheel to change gear, no other reason whatsoever.

My sons firm phoned him and he rejected the call as he was driving but he was observed by a roadside patrol who said they saw him reject the call but it is still illegal to take a hand away from the wheel. So he got a ticket.

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect soon, but he was not certain when, stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

I agree that they should not be used but I think the officer was pushing the limit especially as her saw him reject the call and also all firms should be compelled to have hands free fitted with steering wheel control if they are going to call their workers.

Sorry BG, I think the rozzers are in the right on this, if he has picked up the phone to look at it he's been distracted and that is what the law is trying to enforce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here