Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Database issues

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Which flavour of database are you running [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? I'm an SQL dork and happy to answer questions / help out if possible.

It will be a version of MySQL or MariaDB I am sure. My instinct thinks this isnt actually a database error as such more likely a problem Apache or something

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
These keep happening periodically and I still don't know why.

Typically NSC becomes unavailable for 2-3 minutes at a time and then returns by itself.

To try and help me diagnose what the hell is going on, can you please post to this thread each time it happens, as soon as the site returns, as I want to see if there is any pattern in the times when it takes place, and I'm not always online to experience it myself.

Hopefully I can get this frustrating issue sorted sooner rather than later - sorry it's such a pain.

Database issue for me 12:08 back at 12:09

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don’t know your infrastructure but if your application is not logging error, does the OS event logs indicate problem? e.g. if hosted on Windows server, check Event Log.

Which flavour of database are you running [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? I'm an SQL dork and happy to answer questions / help out if possible.

It will be a version of MySQL or MariaDB I am sure. My instinct thinks this isnt actually a database error as such more likely a problem Apache or something

Yeah, pretty standard LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

vBulletin is very good at logging issues which makes fixing them or, at least, knowing how to fix them, pretty straight forward. This stuff isn't being logged anywhere I can see though, and I've had the hosting company where we have our own dedicated server look too. They don't have specific vBulletin knowledge though.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Even the Met Office site is down - I suspect it's something to do with nationwide flumpage and the "More Snow Tomorrow" thread.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Not had the database issue today, but just now it took forever for a post to go through to the point where I posted it twice because I am impatient.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Just got it again when I tried to thumbs-up a post - it gave me some PHP code in response. When I tried to refresh the page, got a database error message.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, pretty standard LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

vBulletin is very good at logging issues which makes fixing them or, at least, knowing how to fix them, pretty straight forward. This stuff isn't being logged anywhere I can see though, and I've had the hosting company where we have our own dedicated server look too. They don't have specific vBulletin knowledge though.

I think vBulletin won't produce any error logs because it's not an error within vBulletin, it's just reporting that it can't connect to the database. It sounds like it's an issue with your host, rather than vBulletin. Your host should be resolving this for you. This might help: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cantconnect

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What I'm a bit confused about is surely you rent the servers from some host, why are their technical team not backing you up?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I'm a bit confused about is surely you rent the servers from some host, why are their technical team not backing you up?

As I’ve already said: they are. But they don’t have specific vBullerin knowledge which is what I believe is required now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think vBulletin won't produce any error logs because it's not an error within vBulletin, it's just reporting that it can't connect to the database. It sounds like it's an issue with your host, rather than vBulletin. Your host should be resolving this for you. This might help: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cantconnect

VBulletin reports all DB issues including not being able to find the DB.

I’ve been dealing with those issues and logs for the best part of 17 years now and have 220,000 emails from where they e been reported!

D

Deleted member 22389

VBulletin reports all DB issues including not being able to find the DB.

I’ve been dealing with those issues and logs for the best part of 17 years now and have 220,000 emails from where they e been reported!

Just out of interest and nothing to do with this current problem, are you running VBulletin on a Windows server, instead of Linux.

Jul 7, 2003
18:22 for a minute and half. Started on the Knockeart thread but then couldn't get back to the Big Board

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here