Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Portillo. Brighton. Hidden Histories.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Geoffrey Mead, the historian he spoke to on the beach, is an unbelievable fount of knowledge about Brighton. His walking tours are highly recommended. I thought I knew Brighton ...

Largely I find local knowledge intensely boring, but this is precisely the best way to experience it (I'm very keen to do the Engels tour of Manchester too). I've just googled him, and it seems as though his tours are aligned with certain events (eg Brighton Fringe or Festival) or organisations, rather than him self-organising them. How have you hooked up with them?

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He should love Kemptown.

Jesus wept. Get enough of that deeply unfunny rhetoric from my Palace supporting stepbrothers and other people I run into that have never been to Brighton. Do we really need it from one of our own on our own board? Really?
For the record I am not offended I just find it very unfunny and a bit sad it’s from an NSC member.
Have a little think on that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Portillo contributed hugely to the general good when he lost his seat in 1997 - for me the declaration of the result was the moment I realised that the Tories were on the way out. However, I have to say he is good company on TV, although I prefer his 'Bradshaw' railway programmes rather more than last night's; he seemed to pack just as much into the 30 minute format as he did with an hour.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Love Portillo. Find him a very nonjudgemental presenter who genuinely wants to learn from the people he encounters, whether they share "our" values or not.

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Far too polite.

For a start you could have said Tory without it even getting st***ed out!

Me too.

Unfortunately, from personal experience, the bloke is an arrogant cock in real life.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It was good, but I do find these documentaries annoying when they precis what you have just seen prior to an ad break, after an ad break. It was interesting none the less.

Agree with you on this. Annoying as hell. Actually I wasn't overly impressed with the programme. Was expecting something far more interesting.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus wept. Get enough of that deeply unfunny rhetoric from my Palace supporting stepbrothers and other people I run into that have never been to Brighton. Do we really need it from one of our own on our own board? Really?
For the record I am not offended I just find it very unfunny and a bit sad it’s from an NSC member.
Have a little think on that.

Get over it. I thought it amusing and I'm sure many others will have too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here