Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: Three trains went to Notts...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For those 'youngsters' who happily jump on a train and get off at their destination, the Seagull Special needs a little bit of explaining.
Firstly it needed a diesel engine at the front to pull it along. This, for some reason, always had to be changed north of London somewhere and so we would be shoved into a siding.
Then we never seemed to have priority on lines and so would be stopping a lot. Every journey seemed to go via Crewe where we again would park up.
There was a strict No Alcohol policy (no the law though as is today) which was never observed. There was always a buffet car with terrible food which we all ate.
And for me, it was real football in an age of real fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oi!! That was our "Varndean coach" :D Happy days

I didn't just hop on, I did ask! I was very grateful as it was pissing down and I had no money to get back.

And you just left the car on the Motorway. That’s hardcore.

It wasn't my car, it was [MENTION=883]Tony Towner's Fridge[/MENTION]'s. It was the first time he'd driven it and I seem to recall there was something dodgy about it, either he hadn't registered the change of ownership or it wasn't insured or something. We didn't care about such niceties in those days

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Actually they did. The direct service from Manchester to Brighton each way , used to divert off just past Clapham Junction and carry on through Kensington Olympia. However, there were speed restrictions and some single track navigation I believe.

Speed restrictions at some junctions, inevitably. Double track, though, and main line standard. Heavily used for freight.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wigan, Wimbledon (Shitehole park)....?

Albions first visit to Wigan Athletic Springfield Park away end back in the late 87 on a freezing cold Tuesday night good match actually 3-3

Wigan Athletic squad had some names that went on to bigger and better things actually around then

Nigel Adkins, Paul Jewell, Mike Newell, Stuart Storer, Warren Aspinall, much later even Roberto Martinez...

And yes it was a shit hole of a ground, Chelsea filled that away end once in the FA cup and caused mayhem in town after.

Attachments

• grassy-bank-springfield-park-wigan.jpg
    grassy-bank-springfield-park-wigan.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 288

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
For those 'youngsters' who happily jump on a train and get off at their destination, the Seagull Special needs a little bit of explaining.
Firstly it needed a diesel engine at the front to pull it along. This, for some reason, always had to be changed north of London somewhere and so we would be shoved into a siding.
Then we never seemed to have priority on lines and so would be stopping a lot. Every journey seemed to go via Crewe where we again would park up.
There was a strict No Alcohol policy (no the law though as is today) which was never observed. There was always a buffet car with terrible food which we all ate.
And for me, it was real football in an age of real fans.

If there was no Seagull Special you could also buy a Football Special ticket. You could turn up on a Saturday and go anywhere in the country following the Albion. My mate’s Dad was a train driver and always travelled free whereas I had to pay. Great days though. Often we would travel home on the same train as the players

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Wigan, Wimbledon (Shitehole park)....?

Without racking my brain, there was also the side at Burnley for a night game (where those on a minibus arriving at half-time were charged full price to get in).
And who can forget 'the cage' at Northampton's old ground - membership cards needed and bars strong enough to keep wild animals in. So low down with bars - could not see much.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Albions first visit to Wigan Athletic Springfield Park away end back in the late 87 on a freezing cold Tuesday night good match actually 3-3

Wigan Athletic squad had some names that went on to bigger and better things actually around then

Nigel Adkins, Paul Jewell, Mike Newell, Stuart Storer, Warren Aspinall, much later even Roberto Martinez...

And yes it was a shit hole of a ground, Chelsea filled that away end once in the FA cup and caused mayhem in town after.

Miserable ground March 88 4 0 defeat and a very nice local booted me straight in the plums :tosser:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I was on train no.3. Made it as far as Kettering before it turned back. I remember it being stuck at Neasden for ages. Not many trains in those days could go through straight through London except by little used back routes. Free sandwiches at East Croydon. Strangely enough I’ve still never been to Nottingham in my whole life

I was on that train, thanks for the reminder! After several hours stuck on the train with no food and drink, when we got to East Croydon we were asked to form an orderly queue for the sandwiches - fat chance.

el punal

Nope, went by coach. Was grateful two didn't get to the ground, we were packed in tight in the away end without the extras.

We weren’t in the “end” - just packed into terrace on the opposite side of the main stand. It rained bucketloads that night and the stand roof ended just above where we stood - marvellous! Five of us travelled up in a Morris Marina and went back absolutely sodden. Not the most comfortable of football watching evenings.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was on train no.3. Made it as far as Kettering before it turned back. I remember it being stuck at Neasden for ages. Not many trains in those days could go through straight through London except by little used back routes. Free sandwiches at East Croydon. Strangely enough I’ve still never been to Nottingham in my whole life

If it is any consolation, it was so crowded I doubt if any more fans could get in.

I thought the Trent was going to overflow.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We weren’t in the “end” - just packed into terrace on the opposite side of the main stand. It rained bucketloads that night and the stand roof ended just above where we stood - marvellous! Five of us travelled up in a Morris Marina and went back absolutely sodden. Not the most comfortable of football watching evenings.
Wow, me too. I know it wasn't you as all the others have now passed on through old age. My Dads Marina reg LAP31P and I was in the middle seat, uncomfortable.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
... went to Nottingham Forest,
three trains two trains one train and it's band of fans, went to Nottingham Forest

for our only ever appearance in the quarter finals of the FLC (would be more than happy to be corrected on that one!).
Were you one of the unlucky ones on the other two trains ?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yep,

I believe we got to somewhere like Kettering before we turned round.

The club put on a replay of the game at the Cinema - but I couldn't get there because of .... a rail strike.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Yes I realise it wasn't an 'end' it was just a figure of speech.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We flew from gatwick (a gift from the boss at the time ) i managed to get hit 3 times by 3 separate objects from from the back of the stand by those very nice wouldn't hurt a fly Brighton fans , a Chocolate biscuit , a lighter , and a small hooter type thingy that i guess had been once a part of a Rayleigh Chopper :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here