Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
NSC Brexiteer GOLD....

So all leavers voted LEAVE knowing the economy would be wrecked? I've heard it all now.

Is that your only response now you realise the lies cannot be delivered?

What form of Brexit is the will of the people?

Didn't you notice the word 'initial' in his post. Most people who voted leave realise that there's going to be a rough transition period, especially if there's a no deal.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Quite. And I'd have been happy to accept freedom of movement too. I can't speak for all Brexiteers as there were manifold reasons to vote leave, but the idea that 17m voted for 'no deal' and complete disruption of our economy seems to me to be complete nonsense.

As a leave voter I too have never had a problem with freedom of movement

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't you notice the word 'initial' in his post. Most people who voted leave realise that there's going to be a rough transition period, especially if there's a no deal.

Liam Fox said it would be the easiest deal in history so actually a fair few Leave voters would have trusted him and voted Leave.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And then there’s his personal life: numerous affairs, failing to clear press positions with the cabinet, failing to declare stuff to the US IRS etc etc.

...not to mention his career pre-politics - sacked from Fleet Street for making up stories about the EU. (Fleet Street's standards must have been higher in those days.)

And yet, and yet... as the Margate woman said on BBC South just after the referendum - "Cameron's BORING. I voted for the entertainer politician."

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Hmm. Transition period. Yep, that’s gonna be tough. Glad you have acknowledged that aspect. Pity you didn’t think through the legacy problems it will cause future generations.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003

Confirmation that yet another Brexiteer doesn't understand what 'no deal' means :facepalm:

Now you know I have always stood up for Brexiteers when people say thay are all thick, and I wouldn't suggest for a moment that [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] is the only Brexiteer on here that isn't thick :nono:

But he is definitely the only Brexiteer on here who has demonstrated that he understands what 'no deal' means.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty rubbish that we are all going to have our right of freedom of movement taken away from us.

Amd that fool in number 10 seems happy about it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One of the many ironies about our current shambles is that hard core Tory Brexiteers are banging on about the EU showing no respect for TM whilst at the very same time trying to find a time to stab her in the back. They really are a piece of work.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Lot of posturing going on between both sides. My feeling is that there will be some sort of deal, although not Chequers.

My preference.... a deal that respects the wishes of 17.4 m people. Out of single market and out of customs union, free to strike up our own trade deals. Keeping in a customs union/the single market is neither in nor out and 17.4m people didn't vote leave to be neither in or out.

Remainers on here have to accept that there isn't going to be a 'peoples vote' we've already had one, and nor is there going to be an imminent general election, the PM has made that perfectly clear. So lets just get on with it and get the best deal for us and the EU.

Thank you for your reply. It's since been commented on, but how do you arrive at your statement that 17.4 million people voted to be out of the single market and customs union? Please explain your workings.

I think you're wrong and here are mine: people were Leave voters for many different reasons but if we assume that just ten per cent of them were unconcerned about SM/CU (and I suggest it was much more than that) then it can clearly be calculated that a MINORITY of voters in 2016 wanted to be out of the single market and customs union - and that the government is pursuing a policy that, to borrow a phrase, ignores the wishes of a majority of the British people.

That is a deeply reasonable assumption although of course we can't be absolutely sure. The only thing we can be certain of is that the whole thing is a mess. The one way we can be sure what people want is, now that the different options are finally emerging, to ask voters which of all the options available to their country they prefer.

I understand why Brexit enthusiasts don't want a further referendum but I do wish they wouldn't claim the moral high ground. By fair means and foul their campaigners managed to persuade 51.9 per cent of voters to tick a particular box but for them to now claim that that gives them the right to demand their particular vision of hard Brexit Britain is the only way forward smacks of arrogance. It's a coup d'etat and we need to pause and reflect before our country is changed irrevocably.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

OK just lose your job for a year or two, get the house repossessed and then we'll all live happily ever after sooner or later. The poor will suffer the most, the ones with no safety net, no savings, no well off parents to bail them out, meanwhile the Tories will go into austerity plus mode and continue to run down public services

You just don't care, as long as you get your nationalist quest completed.

You pretend you want Britain to be outward looking but what a lot of Brexiteers want is a local country for local people

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
NSC Brexiteer GOLD....

So all leavers voted LEAVE knowing the economy would be wrecked? I've heard it all now.

I’ll put it into plane English!

I’m suggesting that surely those that voted leave must have known the economy would take a hit initially, I mean the when the news broke the FTSE was hardly going to rally, the value of the pound wasn’t going to surge against other currencies was it!

And most of all like any divorce the process from A to B was always going to be a cluster ****!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
OK just lose your job for a year or two, get the house repossessed and then we'll all live happily ever after sooner or later. The poor will suffer the most, the ones with no safety net, no savings, no well off parents to bail them out,

Anyone who is in unfortunate situation with their lifestyle and money was regretfully in that way long before Brexit and unless successive governments improve social care in this country they will continue to be worse off long after!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
OK just lose your job for a year or two, get the house repossessed and then we'll all live happily ever after sooner or later. The poor will suffer the most, the ones with no safety net, no savings, no well off parents to bail them out, meanwhile the Tories will go into austerity plus mode and continue to run down public services

You just don't care, as long as you get your nationalist quest completed.

You pretend you want Britain to be outward looking but what a lot of Brexiteers want is a local country for local people

So many presumptions here it's difficult to know where to start, but you keep on believing that nonsense if it makes you feel superior. I've already spoken today about my feelings on free movement.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I’m suggesting that surely those that voted leave must have known the economy would take a hit initially, I mean the when the news broke the FTSE was hardly going to rally, the value of the pound wasn’t going to surge against other currencies was it!

And most of all like any divorce the process from A to B was always going to be a cluster ****!

You’re talking utter crap. Liar.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

What horse shit.

Jan 30, 2008
Lot of posturing going on between both sides. My feeling is that there will be some sort of deal, although not Chequers.

My preference.... a deal that respects the wishes of 17.4 m people. Out of single market and out of customs union, free to strike up our own trade deals. Keeping in a customs union/the single market is neither in nor out and 17.4m people didn't vote leave to be neither in or out.

Remainers on here have to accept that there isn't going to be a 'peoples vote' we've already had one, and nor is there going to be an imminent general election, the PM has made that perfectly clear. So lets just get on with it and get the best deal for us and the EU.
this
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Not really surprising that it makes sense to you, [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION], but to everyone else it's just bluster.

First of all, there was nothing on the ballot paper that said we shouldn't stay inside the customs Union or single market. If it was, Brexiteers like [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] on here probably wouldn't have voted leave.

Secondly, [MENTION=1694]shingle[/MENTION]'s post sounds like nothing but his own personal wish list. Fine, but at least be honest about it rather than wrapping it up with all that "respect the wishes of 17.2m people" nonsense.

And finally, there is absolutely no recognition that this wish list is near impossible owing to the problem with the Irish border amongst other things.

What I find frustrating is that for some of you leavers, there appears to be no answers to the big problems beyond "no deal".
SO 17.2 MILLION VOTES TO LEAVE IS A LOAD OF NONSENSE ?:dunce:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here