Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Illuminating contribution. Building on that, which of Canada +, Chequers and no-deal do you feel is most likely, and which would you prefer?

Lot of posturing going on between both sides. My feeling is that there will be some sort of deal, although not Chequers.

My preference.... a deal that respects the wishes of 17.4 m people. Out of single market and out of customs union, free to strike up our own trade deals. Keeping in a customs union/the single market is neither in nor out and 17.4m people didn't vote leave to be neither in or out.

Remainers on here have to accept that there isn't going to be a 'peoples vote' we've already had one, and nor is there going to be an imminent general election, the PM has made that perfectly clear. So lets just get on with it and get the best deal for us and the EU.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I really don’t believe that anyone still thinks this is going to work out okay. But then again I didn’t think anyone would be dumb enough to vote leave in the first place so what do I know!?

You've just said it, what do you know. Probably nothing more than anyone else.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Lot of posturing going on between both sides. My feeling is that there will be some sort of deal, although not Chequers.

My preference.... a deal that respects the wishes of 17.4 m people. Out of single market and out of customs union, free to strike up our own trade deals. Keeping in a customs union/the single market is neither in nor out and 17.4m people didn't vote leave to be neither in or out.

So lets just get on with it and get the best deal for us and the EU.

Did I just go back in time? This reads like a post from July 2016.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Except, because of a No Deal brexit, the pound will be in the shitter, so, everything will cost twice as much.

But you keep your head in the sand, if that's where you're happiest.

Sterling might fall if there's a no deal, but it will be temporary and will rise again, I remember the pound was nearly at parity with the dollar a few years back and that was way before brexit. When we voted leave, the pound went through the floor, but recovered nearly all its losses before going south again when the markets started getting twitchy about a no deal.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Remainers on here have to accept that there isn't going to be a 'peoples vote' we've already had one, and nor is there going to be an imminent general election, the PM has made that perfectly clear. So lets just get on with it and get the best deal for us and the EU.

I agree with most of that, but the stark reality in my industry is the future looks very complicated. From the customers point of view nothing will change, but unless something is sorted many companies will simply shift their operations abroad. Not out of panic, it just makes perfect sense to move your HQ to either Dublin or the Netherlands like Netflix.

If the majority (or all) of your customers are in the EU why would you build your HQ in London ? - Doesn't make sense.

Technology has made it feasible, Brexit gives you a very good reason.

It's a shame because London is currently the European leader in what it does and employs a hell of a lot of people.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Photographer, why?

Just reacting to your "bed wetters" comment. Depends what you do and who you work for.

The concerns I've relayed are perfectly genuine and other governments within in the EU are currently and actively going after certain business sectors.

That's my point. Most discussion has been around the effect on UK businesses and 1) How they continue to trade with the EU 2) What opportunities are there outside ?

That complete ignores the numerous media companies from abroad who have planted themselves in the UK as a base to trade with the rest of the EU.

The government are particularly concerned about it too, since it quite obviously makes little sense for them to stay here long term. If you want need a European base (and the UK constitutes just a part of your market) why on earth would you pick the UK ?

I genuinely think there will be winners and losers, but you cannot deny that the UK will change significantly. To dismiss those who are concerned as "bed wetters" is frankly pathetic especially as there is a very long list of issues in many industries that the government simply haven't got round to looking at. Unlike the government, many multinational companies in a position to do so won't fanny around.

They will be looking 2 years ahead and if they don't know what that looks like they will jump ship to an existing base in the EU and use a "non brexit" excuse to do so. Unfortunately it's already happening.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Makes complete sense to me. :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Illuminating contribution. Building on that, which of Canada +, Chequers and no-deal do you feel is most likely, and which would you prefer?

So what is the will of the people?

Canada +
Chequers
Norway
No Deal

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some people don’t want more out of life than a pint and a pop down the shopping parade to pick up the curry. Screw anyone who wants a bit more from life, eh!

The question is after Brexit (assuming it goes ahead), who can they blame for their mediocre lives??? Guess it will be back to the immigrants and war on benefit scroungers

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really surprising that it makes sense to you, [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION], but to everyone else it's just bluster.

First of all, there was nothing on the ballot paper that said we shouldn't stay inside the customs Union or single market. If it was, Brexiteers like [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] on here probably wouldn't have voted leave.

Secondly, [MENTION=1694]shingle[/MENTION]'s post sounds like nothing but his own personal wish list. Fine, but at least be honest about it rather than wrapping it up with all that "respect the wishes of 17.2m people" nonsense.

And finally, there is absolutely no recognition that this wish list is near impossible owing to the problem with the Irish border amongst other things.

What I find frustrating is that for some of you leavers, there appears to be no answers to the big problems beyond "no deal".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First of all, there was nothing on the ballot paper that said we shouldn't stay inside the customs Union or single market. If it was, Brexiteers like [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] on here probably wouldn't have voted leave.

Quite. And I'd have been happy to accept freedom of movement too. I can't speak for all Brexiteers as there were manifold reasons to vote leave, but the idea that 17m voted for 'no deal' and complete disruption of our economy seems to me to be complete nonsense.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I can see why the bunkum and bluster of Boris appeals to (some) folk. There's always a few moments in his speeches where he dispenses with the gags and narrows his lips and looks totally sincere (I think he might well be sincere at these moments in a kind of self-delusional fashion) and hits the 'big shots' - the 'nation', 'freedom', 'history, 'constitution' etc. Then there's the cheaper shots on Corbyn ('string vests') and the EU (oblique reference to the drinking problems of one of its key players).Throw in the odd Latin phrase and/or some obscure historical reference that only fellow public schoolboys really understand and you get something that many people would think is charisma.

And of course the contrast with Mrs May couldn't be more stark: cautious, poor body language, not a 'connector' and a kind of Thatcher-lite (very lite). But Boris doesn't do detail. He's a 'vision guy', the vision being distorted through the lens of ambition and ego.

I think that May has so far come through the conference relatively unscathed. But today with be the test. I hope she has her Strepsils ready this time...……………...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree with most of that, but the stark reality in my industry is the future looks very complicated. From the customers point of view nothing will change, but unless something is sorted many companies will simply shift their operations abroad. Not out of panic, it just makes perfect sense to move your HQ to either Dublin or the Netherlands like Netflix.

If the majority (or all) of your customers are in the EU why would you build your HQ in London ? - Doesn't make sense.

Technology has made it feasible, Brexit gives you a very good reason.

It's a shame because London is currently the European leader in what it does and employs a hell of a lot of people.

just to note there is a couple of good reasons: tax, regulatory structures (may be beneficial to be outside the EU), local pool of talent, proximity to other services. much is made of location of HQ for political reasons, it practical and economic terms doesn't matter much these days, and less so with modern IT. example my company's european HQ is official in Switzerland, however all the management are in London. there's quite a list of companies that are "officially" based in the UK when this or even Europe is not their singular major market.

i've been following this sub-thread about media, quite interesting as wasnt aware UK quite so dominant in the sector. i wonder how licensing is technically implemented, as broadcasting is pretty much uncontrollable once in the air, does the license come into effect in access to transmitters or satellite uplinks, or at satellites themselves? what prevents unlicensed transmissions, say from Turkey or Russia?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quite. And I'd have been happy to accept freedom of movement too. I can't speak for all Brexiteers as there were manifold reasons to vote leave, but the idea that 17m voted for 'no deal' and complete disruption of our economy seems to me to be complete nonsense.

Did anyone who voted leave seriously think that the divorce wouldn’t wreck the economy for an initial period?

It was never going to be plane sailing but as Lord Sugar said yesterday on GMB, the Europeans need this work, the UK are customers too!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can see why the bunkum and bluster of Boris appeals to (some) folk. There's always a few moments in his speeches where he dispenses with the gags and narrows his lips and looks totally sincere (I think he might well be sincere at these moments in a kind of self-delusional fashion) and hits the 'big shots' - the 'nation', 'freedom', 'history, 'constitution' etc. Then there's the cheaper shots on Corbyn ('string vests') and the EU (oblique reference to the drinking problems of one of its key players).Throw in the odd Latin phrase and/or some obscure historical reference that only fellow public schoolboys really understand and you get something that many people would think is charisma.

And of course the contrast with Mrs May couldn't be more stark: cautious, poor body language, not a 'connector' and a kind of Thatcher-lite (very lite). But Boris doesn't do detail. He's a 'vision guy', the vision being distorted through the lens of ambition and ego.

I think that May has so far come through the conference relatively unscathed. But today with be the test. I hope she has her Strepsils ready this time...……………...

Love or loathe her I think it's a bit rough on Thatcher to make a comparison between her and May. May is just a grey robot - nothing personable about her at all. Cold and distant. You only need to watch some of her interviews and she comes across as just reading words - no debate, no fire in the belly, no personailty. By far the worst PM this country has had in the last 40 years, possibly longer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Did anyone who voted leave seriously think that the divorce wouldn’t wreck the economy for an initial period?

It was never going to be plane sailing but as Lord Sugar said yesterday on GMB, the Europeans need this work, the UK are customers too!

NSC Brexiteer GOLD....

So all leavers voted LEAVE knowing the economy would be wrecked? I've heard it all now.

Is that your only response now you realise the lies cannot be delivered?

What form of Brexit is the will of the people?

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
May seems to think she can channel Thatcher by merely repeating poor facsimiles of Thatcher’s famous lines . All that “I’m a difficult woman” crap.
Rightly or wrongly Thatcher meant it and so people believed in her. Nobody believes May because she doesn’t believe it herself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here