Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Watching trials (lewes crown court)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yep just turn up. Day before you can see the listings for the next day - google the names and you might get an idea of the sort of case involved. It is genuinely a very interesting way to spend a day or two.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Thankfully I have never been chosen for Jury Service, as a self employed sole trader I'm glad really. I could end up losing money and more importantly customers.
I could probably cope with a few days or a week, but a 2 to 3 weeks or more wouldn't be great.

There is something wrong with the system if what you say is happening.

Yes, I agree. Financial compensation does not match wages lost. Particularly for the person I was on the jury with, as he had a creative accountant.

I wouldn't want someone to be found guilty because someone wanted to get back to work. It's a good job there are 12 jurors.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 17, 2008
Thank you all for your comments. I’ve done JS too and really enjoyed it. That’s why I want more. Any more input?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My experience was that most of the jurors didn’t want to be there and got annoyed at any delays in debating and considering evidence because they wanted to get home. Pretty inconsiderate of the small kid who was whacked on the head by his father with a plastic chair leg.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
Oct 17, 2008
I had a couple like that, one was a social worker in a sexual abuse case(!) who, just seeing the charge paper an on the jury benches, and looking at the dock, said 'guilty' before knowing anything of the case. Scary. Several people who just didn't want to be there who would've gone with whatever the majority decided just to leave.

Deadlocked to acquit 10-2 for the record.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Thank you all for your comments. I’ve done JS too and really enjoyed it. That’s why I want more. Any more input?

I work there, trials start at 10am, break for lunch at 1pm and finish at 4pm. Most cases are sex cases these days. Best to ask security when you get there what's on. The list is published the afternoon before and is available to the public.

Only court 4 has working air conditioning, worth bearing I mind.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've been loads of times to court. It was a great way to spend the day when we were students. Sat through a trial at Lewes of a bloke found guilty of raping a baby - that was a traumatic experience.

The former Mrs G was a barrister so I went a couple of times to see her in action

[MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] got to ask why ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I work there, trials start at 10am, break for lunch at 1pm and finish at 4pm. Most cases are sex cases these days. Best to ask security when you get there what's on. The list is published the afternoon before and is available to the public.

Only court 4 has working air conditioning, worth bearing I mind.

It's also worth looking up Brighton and Hove courts, as the Crown court often uses courtrooms in those buildings too.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sat in the gallery once to support a friend who was bringing a case for assault. Done JS twice. Fascinating, although can be quite boring waiting to be selected for a trial with all the sitting around. Still better than being at work, however!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Sat in the gallery once to support a friend who was bringing a case for assault. Done JS twice. Fascinating, although can be quite boring waiting to be selected for a trial with all the sitting around. Still better than being at work, however!

That depends if you like your job, I s'pose

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you commit a crime and go Not Guilty you can get a much more interactive experience in court. Fully immersive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here