Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
Italians are sick of the EU, and they are sick of immigration. They are sick of seeing their own living standards going down the pan whilst people walk in to their country unchecked and claim benefits.

So the whole of Italy has the exact same views as you. What's the chances of that :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They do, they want to deport people, but once again a group of people complain about human rights. Italy is screwed.

I know there's cases at The European Court of Human Rights, but that's not an EU body, it's a Council of Europe one, even Russia is a member.

D

Deleted member 22389

So the whole of Italy has the exact same views as you. What's the chances of that :lolol:

How would you feel driving along the road, seeing migrants sitting by burning oil drums selling their sexual services? Because that's exactly what I saw on the way to my mums village last time I visited Italy a few years ago. That is the reality of the situation and where some people have ended up, and that's what happens when thousands of people arrive in the country without any money, food, clothes.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Italians are sick of the EU, and they are sick of immigration. They are sick of seeing their own living standards going down the pan whilst people walk in to their country unchecked and claim benefits.

Did the EU cause a revolution in Libya? I think they could point the finger at the UK more than the EU for the problem they have, and as such, it's only fair that we in the UK take in more of these refugees isn't it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How would you feel driving along the road, seeing migrants sitting by burning oil drums selling their sexual services? Because that's exactly what I saw on the way to my mums village last time I visited Italy a few years ago. That is the reality of the situation and where some people have ended up, and that's what happens when thousands of people arrive in the country without any money, food, clothes.

How would Italy leaving The EU alleviate this? Would migrants stop arriving in boats? Would they seal up their northern borders with France, Austria and Slovenia or remain a member of Schengen outside The EU?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If I saw that, my first response would not be "got to get rid of the Euro". Italy has been let down by the rest of the EU, it is not right that they bear the brunt of this, so rather than Farages poster saying "Breaking Point", showing lines of refugees, would you support a poster campaign in the UK that showed refugees in Italy, with the words, "They are at Breaking Point, we can do more"?

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Did the EU cause a revolution in Libya? I think they could point the finger at the UK more than the EU for the problem they have, and as such, it's only fair that we in the UK take in more of these refugees isn't it?

I seem to recall The American NATO Supreme Allied Commander for Europe blaming Russian bombing of Syria as a deliberate strategy to fuel the migrant crisis, cause problems elsewhere and break European resolve too, rather than being all The EU's fault.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You push people to the margins that's where they stay. The amount of time and money we spend on keeping refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in a penniless limbo merely perpetuates this situation. Whereas if these people were allowed to work and get on with their lives then you would see far fewer instances of this.

The scene you describe is not a pleasant one at all, but have you ever thought what it would be like to be on that roadside driven there by desperation and desire to carve out any semblance of a better/normal life for yourself and your family.

As has been pointed out because of the attitude of some countries (notably the UK) that other nations (Italy and Greece for instance) have to bear a disproportionate amount of the burden. It is shameful. If we actively helped people rather than bottle them up we may have fewer problems. Given the role both ourselves and the French took in Libya we should take more responsibility for the victims of the mess we created. Not mention our interference in other parts of the world both militarily and economically.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003

Just three points on your story

1. The EU didn't invent poverty and prostitution in Southern Italy. You need to read a little history.

2. How did you know that these migrants were from the EU? Interestingly of the top 15 immigrant populations in Italy only 2 are in the EU, Poland and Romania.

3. I assume from the fact that you were visiting your mother in Italy, that either you, her or possibly both of you have taken full advantage of the benefits of the EU. But you now want to deny these opportunities which you were given to anyone else ?

Last edited:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If this doesn't shake the faith of the last few Brexit loons on here then nothing will.

Here's how Brexit will affect each ingredient of the full English breakfast

Your eggs and toast will probably be fine, but if you enjoy sausages, bacon and tomatoes with your fry-up you may want to start stocking up now

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ients-full-english-breakfast-eu-a8377201.html

Not sure why you have suddenly decided to post like a six year old but hey ho. Interesting you post an article that kills off a common remainer argument in that by leaving we'll get lower animal welfare and food standards yet .....

"European producers are able to provide pork more cheaply than British farmers who have additional costs related to higher animal welfare standards – 40 per cent of the British pig herd is bred outdoors."

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure why you have suddenly decided to post like a six year old but hey ho. Interesting you post an article that kills off a common remainer argument in that by leaving we'll get lower animal welfare and food standards yet .....

"European producers are able to provide pork more cheaply than British farmers who have additional costs related to higher animal welfare standards – 40 per cent of the British pig herd is bred outdoors."

I know your recent MO is to jump on my every post and try and belittle me but it's just a bit of a laugh mate, don't take it all so seriously. I'd hate for us to fall out just because you cannot control your impulse to try and bully me off this thread. :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think you've been misinformed. The government in Italy is a coalition between M5S and Lega Nord, neither of which is far-left, although the Lega Nord is certainly well on the right of the political spectrum. M5S is a bit more complicated: it rejects the left-right label as it has policies that could be deemed left and right - the same could be said of the BNP of course, which besides its anti-immigration policies, had a lot of policies associated with the left wing.

M5S is another anti-immigration party and in the European parliament sits in the EFD group, alongside UKIP and other anti-immigration party. That sounds pretty right wing to me.

Fair correction. A new government combining a far-right party and a populist party that draws support from across the political spectrum.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Sarcasm aside (there's plenty worse on this thread), I'm leaning a bit more towards you on this issue. The instability (political and/or economic) of a given member state is of concern. My rather simplistic lens for the EU is that we (members) are bound together (as if tied by a thick rope). This gives security and support but if one of the gang starts lurching towards the edge of a cliff there's always the chance....................*

* a) that the rest will stop him or
b) that we'll go over the edge with him

As a Remainer I subscribe to the a) but there's always that risk of b).

An excellent analogy for EU membership. If most of the gang want to head in one direction (see ever closer union) the best we could ever achieve is digging our heels in trying to slow the process. At some point a decision would have to be made ... either cut the rope or get with the program. Decision was made .. 23rd of June 2016.

Btw I think you owe [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] an apology for suggesting he is a remoaner .. he voted for Brexit!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Btw I think you owe [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] an apology for suggesting he is a remoaner .. he voted for Brexit!

I most certainly did. I'm not sure that I always know what I'm talking about. I follow European politics reasonably closely but my knowledge of Italian goings-on is some way short of my knowledge of French and German politics. And as for eastern Europe ....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If this doesn't shake the faith of the last few Brexit loons on here then nothing will.

why would any of those imports not be available or even reduced?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Our animal welfare standards are at a much higher level than most European countries. Thats why they have been able to flood our market with cheap, mass produced product and appeal to a large percentage of UK consumers, who buy everything on price.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
Well as this latest trade war kicks off I'm just glad we're protected from the worst by being part of a major trading bloc

Sorry, we've done what? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here