Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
30 years.

F U C K

Seeing this live in June at The Roundhouse and August in Brighton. Who'd have predicted them still playing all the tracks 30 years after the release?

Enjoy!
The band have said this tour will be the last time ever it will be played live.

Gedge made some interesting points as to the reasons for this in our initial interview. They hadn't really crossed my mind until then but good to hear an alternative opinion from the other side of things.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
30 years.

F U C K

I was really into this band in 1985; George Best was too commercial for me and I got into Mung Bean Jesus instead.

Interesting point.
I brought this topic up in interviews with Gedge and Shaun so far.

There are obviously a few talking points about the recording process back then and differing opinions.

There'll be even more now that the re-recorded version is due out...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What are you listening to at the moment?

Nothing very recent - I'm channeling a cheery, summery vibe - The Hit Parade (Pick of the Pops), The School (Wasting Away and Wondering), and, um, Sleater Kinney...

I am shortly to receive a big batch of new suggestions :whistle: from my new music guide, though :thumbsup:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Nothing very recent - I'm channeling a cheery, summery vibe - The Hit Parade (Pick of the Pops), The School (Wasting Away and Wondering), and, um, Sleater Kinney...

I am shortly to receive a big batch of new suggestions :whistle: from my new music guide, though :thumbsup:

Well, OK then, although [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] should really be doing this....

First up, two of my old(ish) favourites, who I always give a plug to:

New album coming out from Chastity Belt, lovely wistful song reminiscent of early New Order, which you may like:

....and new Girlpool album coming too:

I'm also liking Rolling Blackouts CF because I'm a sucker for a long instrumental outro. Reminds me of the Blue Aeroplanes:

Like this one by Amber Arcades for good old indie pop-rock:

Last one, a bit less indie, but beautifully crystalline, someone I'm looking forward to seeing at the Deer Shed Festival in July:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, OK then, although [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] should really be doing this....

Work PC is a youtube free zone, but I'll give them a listen later :thumbsup:

To add to my previous post, I'm SO far onto my summer vibe that I'd even be listening to Pet Sounds. If I knew where it was.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Work PC is a youtube free zone, but I'll give them a listen later :thumbsup:

To add to my previous post, I'm SO far onto my summer vibe that I'd even be listening to Pet Sounds. If I knew where it was.

You'll be bringing us the bad weather over the weekend with your sunny vibe, but I've got great hopes for Bank Holiday Monday.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
This was at Grosvenor Rec presumably? I didn't go to that - no idea why not, think The Flatmates was my first "Rumble Club", but I can't really remember. What was the first ever gig - Big Pop Trotsky??

Yes it was Grosvenor rec - they demolished the building a few years back. Big Pop Trotsky obviously played the first ever one, but only as support, the headliners were Bristol's finest The Brilliant Corners. May 1988. Actually you've got me thinking that maybe The Flatmates was the second show and The Jasmine Minks third, followed by The Chesterfields. I'll have to find all the old leaflets! We have The Brilliant Corners poster on the wall in The Forum toilets - made using letraset and a bare hand, tell the kids that now that's how you made a poster and they won't believe you.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes it was Grosvenor rec - they demolished the building a few years back. Big Pop Trotsky obviously played the first ever one, but only as support, the headliners were Bristol's finest The Brilliant Corners. May 1988. Actually you've got me thinking that maybe The Flatmates was the second show and The Jasmine Minks third, followed by The Chesterfields. I'll have to find all the old leaflets! We have The Brilliant Corners poster on the wall in The Forum toilets - made using letraset and a bare hand, tell the kids that now that's how you made a poster and they won't believe you.

That's a pretty impressive 1, 2, 3, 4. Every time I visit Tunbridge Wells, I look out to see what's playing at The Forum, but it seems that there's no regular Friday night gig as there used to be. See Cove are playing soon - I think they may have been the last band I saw there. Or was is The Charlottefield? Or both? Or do I have a split single by both of these bands? I remember Lush being a bit of a coup at the Hand & Sceptre. And Mint 400 were nice and noisy. Fabulous were appalling though.....

Flex Your Head

Lovely to see Flying Nun still releasing absolute corkers.

Swoonsome and wonderful:

Ditto:

The Bats - still to release a bad song. Anyone seeing them in London in June?

This probably doesn't belong on this thread, but it's grown on me sooo much after just a couple of plays. Reminds me of someone / something, but buggered if I can remember what.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sounds a bit like the Tindersticks:lolol:

Hey Staly, I was in Shrewsbury the other week, about 20 years after my first visit. Went to Hawkstone Park again and had a very pleasant wander and then dinner in Casa Naranjo, which was top notch - my partly gluten free family were very well looked after while I drank Cava and Rioja and stuffed my face with food (the lentil stew was great). Premier Inn was OK, but I hate the breakfasts - they microwave the Quorn sausages, which never works very well. Shame there was no Gay Meadow or Cadfael Mystery this time around though, but times change. Hope your dad is loving the joyous promotion scenes and general ambience of happiness, only partially offset by the imminence of nuclear war and Tory landslide followed by hard Brexit. Can't have it all your own way, I suppose.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Hey Staly, I was in Shrewsbury the other week, about 20 years after my first visit. Went to Hawkstone Park again and had a very pleasant wander and then dinner in Casa Naranjo, which was top notch - my partly gluten free family were very well looked after while I drank Cava and Rioja and stuffed my face with food (the lentil stew was great). Premier Inn was OK, but I hate the breakfasts - they microwave the Quorn sausages, which never works very well. Shame there was no Gay Meadow or Cadfael Mystery this time around though, but times change. Hope your dad is loving the joyous promotion scenes and general ambience of happiness, only partially offset by the imminence of nuclear war and Tory landslide followed by hard Brexit. Can't have it all your own way, I suppose.

I miss Gay Meadow, but I guess needs must. At least our (not so) new stadium doesn't flood every year. I'm sick of quorn sausages too, microwaved or not.

My Dad didn't live to see the promotion- he died in February. Sod's law, after all these years. He'd have been soo happy right now. I'm trying to celebrate for him, but it's hard. I imagine a lot of you have got people who didn't make it this far. He'd have been in two minds anyway, because he hated Sky and the whole Premier League business. And he drove up to Newcastle for the last top flight promotion (1979), so he got his share.

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I miss Gay Meadow, but I guess needs must. At least our (not so) new stadium doesn't flood every year. I'm sick of quorn sausages too, microwaved or not.

My Dad didn't live to see the promotion- he died in February. Sod's law, after all these years. He'd have been soo happy right now. I'm trying to celebrate for him, but it's hard. I imagine a lot of you have got people who didn't make it this far. He'd have been in two minds anyway, because he hated Sky and the whole Premier League business. And he drove up to Newcastle for the last top flight promotion (1979), so he got his share.

Very sorry to hear that Staly. There's a thread full of tributes to people who didn't make it to see this day; it's quite moving, lots of brothers, mums and dads, lots of memories. I suppose it makes you think about enjoying things while you can. My gran didn't live to see it. She was a fair weather supporter, but she'd have been pleased. Maybe it'll be a good year for the Shrews next year - you never know. Shame you won't got a Goldson bonus payment though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here