Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I have seen loads this week, why is he deserving more than the other players who have died over the years?

Maybe read Liam Rosenior’s article from this week for the reasons why he is slightly more deserve than the 100s of other footballers from that era.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fully accept what he did for football but I am not in favour of this for any player and it now seems as if they are looking for an excuse to have a minutes applause.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Seriously? One assumes you've been asleep this week - in which case, the validity of your question is equally low.

Nope wide awake as usual during the day. Watched the Whites V Blacks as well.

He was a footballer in a great team at the time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Racist!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I fully accept what he did for football but I am not in favour of this for any player and it now seems as if they are looking for an excuse to have a minutes applause.

Would you change your mind if he'd worn Lynx Africa?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it me or is anyone else asking why??

He was just a footballer wasn't he? or did I miss something.

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

You have been given good explanations. Unless you plan a silent protest, isn't this good enough? We have regular minutes' applause these days. I didn't like it at first. Neither did I like 'red nose' day, 'children in need', and various other things that at the time I regarded as tokenistic and virtue signalling. I have changed my mind now. As time passes, objection to such things seems increasingly peevish and nasty. Join in the clapping tomorrow. It won't kill you. You may even find you like it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I heard they knock empathy out of you pretty quickly in the army..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Just for the record, I am not an idiot.

giphy.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Post deleted in the light of a post below.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have seen loads this week, why is he deserving more than the other players who have died over the years?

Okay, I'll give it a go.

Regis was a footballer in the top flight of the league. A good player.

He was black. There weren't many black players around.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes, he was a footballer, just the same as the other white and black players in his team.

I don't see colour, I see football being played.

Unfortunately thousands (potentially millions) didn’t just see football being played, they saw a black man who they thought shouldn’t be playing football full stop, or a black man playing football and therefore open to racial abuse. He had a significant role in ensuring such behaviour isn’t tolerated today.

Personally I would have thought it was painfully obvious why.

:ffsparr:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, he was a footballer, just the same as the other white and black players in his team.

I don't see colour, I see football being played.

Good for you, glad to hear it and shows how things have changed. The thing is, when he was playing not everyone was as enlightened as your goodself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here