Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Cairney

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Youngest son told me that he read somewhere that when we get promoted we will not splash the cash on players but stick with the present squad basically, which I find rather surprising as I would have expected TB to want us to be secure in the Premier rather than recoup his money.
Evolution not revolution.

We'll look at replacing the returning loanees, and out of contract players.

That'll mean 7 or 8 new higher quality signings anyway, no need to do much more than that.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Championship players like Cairney will cost EVEN MORE in the summer than they do now - Burnley paid £10 million for Hendrick in August and £13 million for Brady in January.

I read somwhere that Fulham would want £20 million for Cairney....they could easily get that if they are not promoted.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Championship players like Cairney will cost EVEN MORE in the summer than they do now - Burnley paid £10 million for Hendrick in August and £13 million for Brady in January.

I read somwhere that Fulham would want £20 million for Cairney....they could easily get that if they are not promoted.

No they wouldn't. Untried at that level.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
No they wouldn't. Untried at that level.

Hendrick had ZERO Premier League experience, and who was not even certain starter at Derby, cost £10 million LAST YEAR.....prices have gone up with the extra Sky TV money.

Try to sign any Derby player in the summer....they'd cost a fortune.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hendrick had ZERO Premier League experience, and who was not even certain starter at Derby, cost £10 million LAST YEAR.....prices have gone up with the extra Sky TV money.

British/Irish players overpriced. We have targets elsewhere. Trick is to get those who would integrate with our spirit ie. Knocky not Elvis. That would be CH's big management challenge next year, IF we go up.

PG

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'll not give you false platitudes about not wanting to be rude, instead I'm just going to be rude :lol:
Brighton won't have the same problems as Burnley, because Brighton (Tony Bloom) isn't as stupid as Burnley!

Sure the season after a promotion is always tough, like every other season I have no idea if this years promoted teams will sink or swim.

But what Mr Bloom has attempted to do is future proof the Albion.
There's the stadium that Burnley could only dream about.
A training facility that ALL clubs, with the exception of Man City, can only dream about.
One of the most respected managers in football.
Backed up by a committed and most importantly consistent board.

I know feck all about the inner works of the club but even I know, for a fact, the Albion will not be 'forced to pay over the odds' for anybody.
With everything in place TB won't he held to ransom by some 2 bit, overpaid, overhyped, Championship mercenaries agent.

I don't imagine any player would be welcome if they tried to squeeze a bit more from TB after being presented with the whole package.

It's a nice idea, but I think you may be in for a shock. How many of didn't baulk at the idea of us spending nearly £5 million for a defender from Blackburn in the Championship? How's that turned out?

The market is the market, if we get to the Premier League then we'll be paying what everybody else pays, regardless of how good a Chairman Tony Bloom is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a nice idea, but I think you may be in for a shock. How many of didn't baulk at the idea of us spending nearly £5 million for a defender from Blackburn in the Championship? How's that turned out?

The market is the market, if we get to the Premier League then we'll be paying what everybody else pays, regardless of how good a Chairman Tony Bloom is.

All true, although I still can't see TB wading into the Premier League like a chavvy lottery winner.

TB didn't pay nearly £5m for Duffy.
If NSC is to be believed that figure is after add-ons and bonuses etc (fingers crossed all of which will be paid), for a player who appears to be a bit of a bargain.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

No, **** off. Burnley can sign Derby players. We've got our sights set higher.
FWIW, unless Fulham are promoted, they'll have to sell Cairney in the summer, and they won't get £20m for him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As much as I would like Cairney for example, the value will be in geting players from abroad. Its more of a risk granted but literally a quarter of the price..

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
As much as I would like Cairney for example, the value will be in geting players from abroad. Its more of a risk granted but literally a quarter of the price..

I agree with regard to getting better value players from abroad. However, it does seem that since CH has been in charge, most of the signings have been from other English clubs. I am not sure that will change.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree with regard to getting better value players from abroad. However, it does seem that since CH has been in charge, most of the signings have been from other English clubs. I am not sure that will change.

it may well when we get quoted 15 million upwards for every half decent playr in UK

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

I think the issue with Duffy wasn't the money. It was the fact he scored 3 own goals in two games and then got sent off in his next game. I think a lot of people would have had an issue even if we signed him on a free. He didn't exactly look like the rock solid defender we've seen for the rest of the season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Would love him in a Brighton shirt but doubt I'll see it happen. Even if we're promoted I can imagine some head mental club like Villa, Derby or Palace offering him better terms.

I think we'll look to unearth gems, not sign 'big names' if we make the Prem.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
West Brom made an approach to sign Tom Cairney

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here