Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION

How come Saints, Villa et al do then?

Sought clarification from Paul Camillin afterwards. TB slightly mis-spoke. We can’t show U23 games live when there is a PL game on at the same time. When there is no PL game, we can - but we need 7 days’ notice to sort the logistics out...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sought clarification from Paul Camillin afterwards. TB slightly mis-spoke. We can’t show U23 games live when there is a PL game on at the same time. When there is no PL game, we can - but we need 7 days’ notice to sort the logistics out...

...and thanks for this extra clarification.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Could it be shown on a 45 minute delay ie it start when the first half finishes? O r would it have to be after the final whistle and no other game being played.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Hotel - won’t be happening. Looking to do something else in that space.

I've always suspected that the hotel plans may eventually resurface, but on the other side of the stadium, opposite the West stand where those horrible looking prefabs are now in a joint venture with the uni and incorporating some educational facilities that can be used on match days for dining/drinking. Nothing to back this up, but it would be a less contentious site.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Could it be shown on a 45 minute delay ie it start when the first half finishes? O r would it have to be after the final whistle and no other game being played.

Didn’t get into that level of specific detail.

Interesting. Did he elaborate on what that something else may be?

No. But my assessment of his tone is that it is a known something rather than just an off-hand “we’ll do something else that we haven’t thought about yet”. NB: ...my assessment. He did not specifically state there is a known something.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've always suspected that the hotel plans may eventually resurface, but on the other side of the stadium, opposite the West stand where those horrible looking prefabs are now in a joint venture with the uni and incorporating some educational facilities that can be used on match days for dining/drinking. Nothing to back this up, but it would be a less contentious site.

He did refer to “that space” in his answer, thus possibly not ruling out this option. However he said nothing that would rule it in either.

el punal

I still think we could add at least another 7 rows to the back of the North Stand because of the height between the current back of the stand and roof. This could be done without disturbing the 'ring of steel' that holds the West and East stands up.

Nice idea, but how? I’m no engineer but to do that would mean a steeper elevation for the existing seats and all the problems that go with it. Unless of course you’re suggesting a separate “balcony” tier accessible from the north east and north west corners. The problem there is the police control box and the big screen being in situ, and then the roof comes down at quite a steep angle to meet the East Stand. I’m not sure that the cost involved against the increased revenue from what would probably be a very limited number of seats would be worthwhile.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Nice idea, but how? I’m no engineer but to do that would mean a steeper elevation for the existing seats and all the problems that go with it. Unless of course you’re suggesting a separate “balcony” tier accessible from the north east and north west corners. The problem there is the police control box and the big screen being in situ, and then the roof comes down at quite a steep angle to meet the East Stand. I’m not sure that the cost involved against the increased revenue from what would probably be a very limited number of seats would be worthwhile.

I think if we are to see any changes at all inside the ground this summer they are likely to be a small number of new corporate seats or boxes. I don't think anything else would stand much chance of paying for itself.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think if we are to see any changes at all inside the ground this summer they are likely to be a small number of new corporate seats or boxes. I don't think anything else would stand much chance of paying for itself.

A genuine question, where will the new corporate boxes go in?

On the ES and WS at the back of the lower tiers, there are parts with ugly concrete walls or small windows, facing the pitch. But I assumed that there are irreplaceable rooms or 1901 lounges behind them.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
A genuine question, where will the new corporate boxes go in?

On the ES and WS at the back of the lower tiers, there are parts with ugly concrete walls or small windows, facing the pitch. But I assumed that there are irreplaceable rooms or 1901 lounges behind them.

I guess they could squeeze in few in the North East corner in a similar fashion to the lounge/TV studio they added to South East corner last summer. The old TV studio in the North stand never seems to be used anymore, so they could possibly add a shelf of seats to the front of that so it could be used as a box when it's not being used as a studio.

If you compare the Amex to other similar sized stadiums it does have a lot fewer boxes, 21 I think. According to Wikipedia, St Mary's has 42. That's potentially a lot of income we are missing out on, so I'd be surprised if they are not looking to squeeze some more in somewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I guess they could squeeze in few in the North East corner in a similar fashion to the lounge/TV studio they added to South East corner last summer. The old TV studio in the North stand never seems to be used anymore, so they could possibly add a shelf of seats to the front of that so it could be used as a box when it's not being used as a studio.

If you compare the Amex to other similar sized stadiums it does have a lot fewer boxes, 21 I think. According to Wikipedia, St Mary's has 42. That's potentially a lot of income we are missing out on, so I'd be surprised if they are not looking to squeeze some more in somewhere.

The reason it has fewer boxes is that it's more modern.

Current demand is mainly for corporate seating areas with lounges, so that fans aren't tied to a small box.

When Old Trafford, St.Mary's were designed, the thinking was different.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Take out the wall behind the top row of the north stand and there are some offices there so it could be possible to build a few more rows if it was desperate.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I guess they could squeeze in few in the North East corner in a similar fashion to the lounge/TV studio they added to South East corner last summer. The old TV studio in the North stand never seems to be used anymore, so they could possibly add a shelf of seats to the front of that so it could be used as a box when it's not being used as a studio. .

The old studio is a meeting room for the offices that are up there. The current tenants of those offices are due to move out in July so that could be a possibility!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here