Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
If UEFA leave FIFA, what would happen to all the South Americans playing in the lucrative European leagues? I would imagine the majority would continue following the money. Surely this would further weaken FIFA as most of the South American countries in their World Cup would be without their biggest stars.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My take on this (and bear in mind the last bet I had on football was for Palace to be relegated the year they went up) is that the member nations and sponsors are waiting to see what happens to Blatter; if he's not re-elected then he'll slope off to a lavish retirement funded by Russian oligarchs and Qatari princes and the 2018/2022 tournaments will still go ahead.
If, however, Blatter wins today (and why wouldn't he ? It's likely that the brown envelopes to ensure he does were handed out a while back) then the member nations will start by saying, individually, "we're considering our position". Then I can see the big nations (Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Holland, Argentina, Brazil) having an informal meeting with the purpose (unpublished of course) being to sound each other out and agree to a "one out, all out" approach.
Once those big eight leave to form an alternative it will spark a landslide and FIFA will implode.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Then I can see the big nations (Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Holland, Argentina, Brazil) having an informal meeting with the purpose (unpublished of course) being to sound each other out and agree to a "one out, all out" approach.

Spain, Brazil and Argentina are all pro Blatter: I can't see any of them joining a boycott. France and Italy are the interesting two, I haven't heard much from them on this but if one (or both) fails to join a boycott then it's not going to work.

As Buzzer has pointed out, Brazil is key to this. If Brazil can be persuaded to come over to the other side, concerted action could work, the trouble is that I'm not sure how it could be achieved with more bribery

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
[MENTION=30913]Oliverka[/MENTION]yTimes

OH MY GOD. At Fifa congress, they' just tested e-voting system by asking delegates if Germany won World Cup. Five per cent said no! #FIFA

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My take on this (and bear in mind the last bet I had on football was for Palace to be relegated the year they went up) is that the member nations and sponsors are waiting to see what happens to Blatter; if he's not re-elected then he'll slope off to a lavish retirement funded by Russian oligarchs and Qatari princes and the 2018/2022 tournaments will still go ahead.
If, however, Blatter wins today (and why wouldn't he ? It's likely that the brown envelopes to ensure he does were handed out a while back) then the member nations will start by saying, individually, "we're considering our position". Then I can see the big nations (Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Holland, Argentina, Brazil) having an informal meeting with the purpose (unpublished of course) being to sound each other out and agree to a "one out, all out" approach.
Once those big eight leave to form an alternative it will spark a landslide and FIFA will implode.

we can only hope you are right

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If sponsors start to leave, the stench of corruption will be so toxic that other companies will think twice about jumping in. Hmm .... "So many people boycotted McDonald's that they pulled out - I think we'll have some of that ......" I don't think Burger King will find that a very attractive proposition.

If the current sponsors all pull out FIFA will simply invite other companies to replace them, or bid, once the mess is sorted out. None of the main sponsors will want their major competitors taking their places and you can be certain that there will be no shortage of companies willing to sign up. I would love to see them all walk away but the reality is that the World Cup is where sponsors want to be.Even with the stench surrounding it at the moment.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hearing the bloke from Nigeria on The Today Programme this morning has left me open mouthed. He parrotted Blatter's claim that he could not follow people around and ensure that they were not up to corrupt practices and this is seen as an excuse for a multi billion, international organisation to be riddled with corruption. I wanted to scream the words 'Corporate Governance!' at the radio, but Humphreys didn't even raise the point.

Anyone who has worked in even a minor management role in government, large NGOs or business would know that it is obviously not possible for leadership to watch everything within the organisation. That is why organisations have structures in place to ensure that decisions are properly documented and can respond to challenge. This is how organisations try to ensure that corruption is identifiable. There is European Legislation on how contracts should be tendered which could be replicated by an organisation like Fifa within a month. It is obvious that, regardless of whether or not the leadership is straight, if it has not put a robust governance structure in place, it is not fit for purpose.

I think its important to recognise that the delegates from Africa and Asia are not voting for Blatter for reasons of personal gain. They are voting for him because they view him as defending the interests of their countries against European dominance and they do not believe that any other candidate would. He has built personal power based upon largesse with Fifa's money and this has been possible because the organisation seems to be run without application processes and basic balances and checks. The delegates from football federations in need of financial support need to be presented with a clear structure which would identify how their interests would be protected and balanced against other demands. It is ridiculous that the legitimacy of an organisation of this size is based upon individuals, not upon auditable structures and procedures. If the latter were in place, the organisation's officers should be in a position to protect the organisation from corrupt decisions, regardless of whether these are made for financial or political reasons.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The more I watched the news and reports last night the more I have come to the conclusion that he will ride it out and absolutely nothing will happen. The sponsers, EUFA, FA just want to appear to be making the right noises to distance themselves. I feel the only chance will be if the FBI come up with something.

After the initial excitement that, at last, something was going to be done I just feel a bit disheartened by it, especially when you hear the backing Blatter gets from the African and Asian nations.

I wonder how many of the votes he gets come from the countries in red on this map.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spain, Brazil and Argentina are all pro Blatter: I can't see any of them joining a boycott.
If UEFA leave, then Spain would have to leave unless Real Madrid and Barcelona don't want to both with the Champions League any more.

As Buzzer has pointed out, Brazil is key to this. If Brazil can be persuaded to come over to the other side, concerted action could work, the trouble is that I'm not sure how it could be achieved with more bribery
I disagree. UEFA are the key.

The more I watched the news and reports last night the more I have come to the conclusion that he will ride it out and absolutely nothing will happen. The sponsers, EUFA, FA just want to appear to be making the right noises to distance themselves.
It's our job as fans to make sure UEFA know we want to leave, and we don't mind missing the WC and doing something new.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If UEFA leave, then Spain would have to leave unless Real Madrid and Barcelona don't want to both with the Champions League any more.

But will they vote to leave? Spain and Russia (plus a few others) are voting for Blatter. And even those who vote for Ali may balk at the idea of boycotting a World Cup - that's a big step to take.

I disagree. UEFA are the key.

I can't see this. As Stato pointed out earlier, Blatter's pitch is as someone who helps the developing countries against European colonialism. UEFA threatening a boycott actually helps Blatter in this regard as he can then say "See, the Europeans are frightened the money is going to Africa, Asia and central America and want it all for themselves". A UEFA boycott is no threat but Brazil joining in is - UEFA plus Brazil IS a threat, particularly if Argentina can join as well

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blatter will win the election today. UEFA will hrumph and do nothing, the sponsors will put out press releases expressing their concerns but won't trigger the moral hazard clauses in their contracts.

There is no way Gazprom will pull out anyway, as it is Russian state controlled. Adidas have a sponsorship contract until 2030, they are more interested in shirt sales than governance. Qatar Airways will happily fill the void if any other global sponsors withdraw.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Blatter will win the election today. UEFA will hrumph and do nothing, the sponsors will put out press releases expressing their concerns but won't trigger the moral hazard clauses in their contracts.

There is no way Gazprom will pull out anyway, as it is Russian state controlled. Adidas have a sponsorship contract until 2030, they are more interested in shirt sales than governance. Qatar Airways will happily fill the void if any other global sponsors withdraw.

There you go.....it's down to the Feds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here