Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd have to agree. He's totally untrustworthy.

And if the pendulum ever swings so far towards remain that a second vote proves hard to resist, he'll insisting it was his idea and then he'll swap sides . Again.

I wonder what Two Professor-Peabrain will have to say about him then if it happens?

Yes last week Boris said that remaining was better than the chequers deal. You just get the feeling he is getting ready to be opportunistic if a 2nd referendum arises

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is civilized discussion, which is nice, and rare for this thread..............................................................
Hear hear! - and a thumbs up on this from me.

I take issue specifically though, with the part I have bolded. It might be true for you, but it is patently not true for a great many Leave voters. The Remain camp did make it all about finances, but the average Joe Leave absolutely did not (IMO) accept they would 'be a few bob worse off' but decided they would still like to leave despite that. Joe swallowed the idea of 'Project Fear', believed that we were giving enormous sums to the EU (£350m / week, etc) and didn't think for a second he was going to be worse off.
We'll just have to (very civilly) disagree about this then. I think it was remainers who largely fell for Project Fear - the collapse of the economy, major employers re-locating and leaving British workers jobless (not to mention no more aeroplanes flying to and from Europe!!!) and all that. I think leavers accepted there would be a temporary downturn inn the economy until everyone sorted out how to deal with the new circumstances, and regarded that as a price worth paying. The £350M a week or whatever it was, was part of the Leave campaign, not Project Fear - I don't think many people seriously believed that the NHS would suddenly become awash with money, although it is of course true that we are a major net contributor to the EU's funds.
Anyway, I'm off now - too much bile flying around on this thread makes it unhealthy to stick around too long. Good to have a proper exchange of views though. Cheers! - over and out!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'd have to agree. He's totally untrustworthy.

And if the pendulum ever swings so far towards remain that a second vote proves hard to resist, he'll insisting it was his idea and then he'll swap sides . Again.

I wonder what Two Professor-Peabrain will have to say about him then if it happens?

'That Boris,ever the opportunist,eh,but would still rather have him as PM than Corbin,Cable or Selmayr,bunch of anti-semites.Time for gammon and pineapple,methinks.:thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
There are some EU leaders who seem even more thick than Clampy.How about these for 'Stating the bleedin obvious' award 2018?Fingers on the pulse,eh?

bleedinobvious.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
There are some EU leaders who seem even more thick than Clampy.How about these for 'Stating the bleedin obvious' award 2018?Fingers on the pulse,eh?

View attachment 100689

Says the man who goes to the trouble of creating a jpeg of a story but won't put a link (or quote another poster) in case the Internet Goblins get him.

How's that pulse feel ? :lolol:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A 2nd referendum will just be littered with the same deceit and lies that have continued since the first so I’m not sure how anyone will be better equipped to make a more informed decision.

I am not sure it will.

We will know what the trading situation will be
Flights
Passports
Holidays
Irish border
Divorce bill

So the question will be, are you happy with the negotiated deal for the withdrawal of the EU?

Yes, we sign it and leave
No, we don't sign it and stay inside the EU.

If people vote that they are happy with the deal, then at least that will stop the argument that people didn't know what they voted for as they will know exactly what we are getting into.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Then you ARE following social media. Just through your mates. And on here of course. What do you think NSC is, dimwit!? Christ you Leave voters are thick, thick as bloomin’ mince!

If you actually read things you'll see that I don't do Facebook or twitter. Just this. Yes I'm fully aware this is social media. Stop being so angry and read things properly. Be careful not to get another ban old chap.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you actually read things you'll see that I don't do Facebook or twitter. Just this. Yes I'm fully aware this is social media. Stop being so angry and read things properly. Be careful not to get another ban old chap.

You wrote quite clearly that you don't follow social media. Yet you do. I know a lie when I read one.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
That is all perfectly reasonable - and for some, maybe most, Leave voters, that would be their viewpoint.

But entirely unconnected to the point I just made - that 2 years on people ARE far more informed about the complexity of leaving, and the risks involved, and thus SOME may now feel that the risks and problems outweigh the perceived benefits.

I suppose there is also a possibility that a % of Remainers may feel a 2nd referendum goes against their principles and may not vote so who knows. The reality is that nobody really knows what the final end game will achieve, whether remain or leave, as the long term repercussions will not be apparent for many many years or maybe even generations. When we joined the EU all those years ago did anyone know what it would look like today....I suspect not.

Jan 30, 2008
i am not sure it will.

We will know what the trading situation will be
flights
passports
holidays
irish border
divorce bill

so the question will be, are you happy with the negotiated deal for the withdrawal of the eu?

Yes, we sign it and leave
no, we don't sign it and stay inside the eu.

If people vote that they are happy with the deal, then at least that will stop the argument that people didn't know what they voted for as they will know exactly what we are getting into.
but the vote was to leave, no if's no but's...………. best of three :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
O dear

Tusk says the EU27 agreed there would be no Brexit agreement without a workable solution to the Irish border problem.

They agreed there should be “as much clarity as possible” on the future trade relationship. He says the single market must be protected and that the Chequers plans for economic cooperation will no work because they would undermine it.

Tusk says Chequers plan for trade not acceptable because it will undermine single market.
And he says the October summit will be “the moment of truth” when EU leaders will decide if there is enough agreement to justify going on and striking an agrement in November.

Tusk say the October summit will be the “moment of truth” for the Brexit process.

Jan 30, 2008
O dear

Tusk says the EU27 agreed there would be no Brexit agreement without a workable solution to the Irish border problem.

They agreed there should be “as much clarity as possible” on the future trade relationship. He says the single market must be protected and that the Chequers plans for economic cooperation will no work because they would undermine it.

Tusk says Chequers plan for trade not acceptable because it will undermine single market.
And he says the October summit will be “the moment of truth” when EU leaders will decide if there is enough agreement to justify going on and striking an agrement in November.

Tusk say the October summit will be the “moment of truth” for the Brexit process.
Tusk ANOTHER BEUROCRAT flapping his gums , good riddance to the bloke ,bye bye EU
regards
DR

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
O dear

One take on this process is that May and the EU have to take it 'to the brink' as they both have their constituencies to think about. They must appear to be playing hard-ball with each other so that it will muster support from those who stand behind them (often with knives drawn). It's all rather above my pay grade (and cognitive threshold) but I think we are in for a bumpy ride and a last minute deal then sold as the best each side could get and the only viable deal.
Having said that, this is not just any old deal for either party. The stakes are very high for both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here